Leaving Sunday-been in pop up once

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leaving Sunday-been in pop up once

:gasp:Ohmygoodness I am really hoping there is a divine intervention and this all works out. Im a mom to 3 crazy boys 5 to 12 years. I told hubby, "lets skip the regular vacation and get the boys out camping again" "sounds like a plan" he says. "well, with all the bikes, kayaks we will need either a used horse trailer or pop up just for the gear now with 3" I say. fast forward a week and we are looking inside our first (used) pop up. Im normally the planner, but let hubby handle this one. So I didnt get to talk to the owner, walk through to see how things work. Thing is...we are supposed to leave for a 3 week trip on Sunday and I have NO idea what options the trailer has, how to run them, switch between power sources etc. we leave in 4 days!!! I kept it simple (i thought) by booking non electric sites. All campgrounds have showers except one. We plan to still pitch tents to sleep. The pop up really is just for gear, storage and inclement weather.

Is this beyond nuts to do? I can pack, and have gear. but all my gear is camping gear. So are there things that we will need different? The Pop up is a Jseries Jayco, under 15 feet I think. It has a fridge, heater, AC, stove, lights.

Initially I wasn't planning to use any of these. But now Im wondering if theres another way to run lights in case we pull up in the dark. I saw a battery box near hitch?

And maybe it would be good to have the fridge? The longest drive is 5 hours. I was planning on 2 coolers on the trailer front near hitch.

Ill definitely use the propane stove at sites, but would rather not lug a mini grill. should I just get a grill gate to put over the fire? any recs?

I think theres a hot water heater too? Is this worth using if there are showers?

tell me what to do and ill do it. get the manual and read? a good website for basics? help! TIA!

Re: Leaving Sunday-been in pop up once

Until you get your feet on the ground I would say keep it simple;
    Do several practice setups in the driveway/yard, make sure that everything works (propane furnaces in popups seem to often be a point of nonfunction).
    Often/sometimes the propane stove/cooktop can be moved to the outside (nicer than cooking inside).
    If it has a battery box check to see if it has an inverter to convert the 12 volts to 110 volts AC. I use 110 volt LED bulbs for tent lighting running off of a small 12 volt battery and a small inverter. Set up in the dark can be simplified by putting the pop up where you want it (as level as possible) the unhooking the vehicle and turning it around to use the headlights for lighting.
    If it has a canopy is it functional and useable (be careful of fragile legs and be sure you guy it down or the first big wind or drunk(or large kid running into it) can do significant damage.
    If it has a fridge be sure its a fridge and not a cooler that looks like a fridge... I like a 12 volt capable fridge; although they can kill a battery in a couple of days (propane or electric/propane is good for sites without utilities).
    For coolers try your best to minimize the number of times that the lids are opened and try to keep them in the shade.
    Showers can be a godsend... Yes! We use a black painted (solar heat) 3 gallon you pump it up garden sprayer with a kitchen sink sprayer as showerhead.
    I/we do mostly tent camping and carry a small campfire grate, prop it securely on rocks dig a small fire pit underneath then use a cheap shovel/mini spade to shovel coals fro the main fire (which the kids will probably want to keep flaming) and cook in peace...a fair alternative is a grill basket with a handle that you can close on the burgers, dogs chops or steaks and hold/prop near the fire
    https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CNT...6086095&sr=1-3
    the tiny portable campfire grills can work OK for 1 or 2 people but when feeding a troop you need something bigger and more substantial, IMO.

Have fun!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I think Google can really help. Systems and equipment are fairly consistent across models and manufactures. I would spend some time looking at what you have. Start by finding out exactly what camper you have, manufacturer and model. Search for a owners manual or even videos on how to set up and use the basic equipment. As far as the fridge, stove, heater, water heater, etc. you will need to look at each piece of equipment and write down manufacture, and model. This will allow you to search for how to use each of these pieces. I think if you spent a couple of hours researching what you have you will not only feel more comfortable before you leave, but you may find out that you may be able to leave some things behind because there is no need to duplicate. Shout back if you have a spacific question and maybe we can help. Remember to keep in mind "You got this!"

Comment

enjoy your trip,
        dont over think it,
        use the pop up as it is designed for,
        if you try to use it mainly for storage, its quite a large trailer for little storage capacity when folded,
        use it for sleeping, can split every one up between the pop up and tents, probably your best bet for sleeping arrangements
        stove, can use it to supplement meals, pots and pan cooking in the trailer, meats/veggies/grill cooking outside,
        everyone uses their pop ups differently, some spend lots of time in it, others spend very little time in it, you will decide how you use it as you go along,
        also what kind of trip is this? will you be spending most of the time at just a few places? or will you be hopping around packing up and relocating every couple days?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          Until you get your feet on the ground I would say keep it simple;
          Do several practice setups in the driveway/yard, make sure that everything works (propane furnaces in popups seem to often be a point of nonfunction).
          Often/sometimes the propane stove/cooktop can be moved to the outside (nicer than cooking inside).
          If it has a battery box check to see if it has an inverter to convert the 12 volts to 110 volts AC. I use 110 volt LED bulbs for tent lighting running off of a small 12 volt battery and a small inverter. Set up in the dark can be simplified by putting the pop up where you want it (as level as possible) the unhooking the vehicle and turning it around to use the headlights for lighting.
          If it has a canopy is it functional and useable (be careful of fragile legs and be sure you guy it down or the first big wind or drunk(or large kid running into it) can do significant damage.
          If it has a fridge be sure its a fridge and not a cooler that looks like a fridge... I like a 12 volt capable fridge; although they can kill a battery in a couple of days (propane or electric/propane is good for sites without utilities).
          For coolers try your best to minimize the number of times that the lids are opened and try to keep them in the shade.
          Showers can be a godsend... Yes! We use a black painted (solar heat) 3 gallon you pump it up garden sprayer with a kitchen sink sprayer as showerhead.
          I/we do mostly tent camping and carry a small campfire grate, prop it securely on rocks dig a small fire pit underneath then use a cheap shovel/mini spade to shovel coals fro the main fire (which the kids will probably want to keep flaming) and cook in peace...a fair alternative is a grill basket with a handle that you can close on the burgers, dogs chops or steaks and hold/prop near the fire
          https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CNT...6086095&sr=1-3
          the tiny portable campfire grills can work OK for 1 or 2 people but when feeding a troop you need something bigger and more substantial, IMO.

Have fun!
          All great advice, thanks! Hubby does know how to pop it up, so I'm not worried about that so much. It's more the power options, the appliances since it'll effect how I pack and how I plan meals.
          The fridge says "3way" on it. So I think that's propane, electric and ? I guess it's worth pre chilling it and using it at least for some cold storage for the first 2 days. Especially if I can use propane to run it at the first site? It'll allow me to keep the other food cooler closed those first two days.

The trip is almost three weeks. No more than 4 to 5 hour drives. 2 days at a site, then another two days at another, a single night off highway to split a longer run, then 5 night stay, 2nightvand another 5 night. Then home. I guess I'll have to prep cook/pack along the way, which shouldn't be bad if I buy frozen meat/veggies. I'm a salad girl, so that's the most work for prep. The boys are easy

good to know about the canopy, thank you! And hubs will check about a converter. Yes the stove moves outside and attaches to side of trailer. Good idea about a second small fire for cooking! Yes all 3 boys think they're fire gods and charged with saving the eternal flame .. Lol. It seems like a mini Webber would be more self contained than carrying a grate. Unless I made a carrying case for the grate. I'll have to research a bit. But yes, I can see how it may be small. However, with the stove too I may be ok. Thanks again for the great tips!

Comment

Thanks so much. I sent hubby a link to this thread and asked him to look at replies. Great advice on having a list of all equipment. The powers sources is what confuses me... What draws what, what source is best to use, drawbacks of one power source over another, what's best at energy savings. I'm sure he will jump on it and start researching ��Thanks again.

Comment

Good advice above so I'll just add on as it were.
              If you decide to use the fridge (and I think you should otherwise why "lug" it around?) I think you'll want to turn it on several hours in advance so it'll cool off. Prolly a great place to store cold beverages, dairy products, salad fixings and leftovers if nothing else. As far as the stove is concerned there is one thing I know it does exceptionally well- heat up liquids which is oh so beauteous in the mornings for me when I'm at my all time grumpiest.

Have fun out there and enjoy your new camping toy!
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

This is a nice, basic overview -
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dwK8z6NNx0

I use Lynx levelers instead of the wood blocks shown in the video just because they are versatile. You can also set them under a wobbly table or use them as stepping stones in a muddy campground. Available at Walmart and other places.

Most of your tent camping equipment will be fine. You can still sleep inside in sleeping bags and use the same chairs outside.

We rarely use the inside stovetop when we use our travel trailer, and generally use the Coleman grill on the tailgate or picnic table.

Similarly, the bathroom is nice but sometimes it gets used more when underway or middle of the night if the campground has a nice bathhouse. We often camp after we winterize so there is no water at all, and we do just fine by bringing gallon jugs of water and using just the campground bathrooms.

Good idea to bring a cooler for water and drinks and it is a backup if the fridge doesn't work. We also use it in the vehicle when we go to a grocery store on a hot day.

An electric site is handy even if you don't plug in the camper, but we often camp with no electric and are fine. Many shower houses have outlets so you can charge your cell phone etc. I bring an electric kettle as an option to boil water using the shower house outlets.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

OK. I was writing a long write up on things to check, but realized there is an easier way. Call the person you bought the pop-up from and ask him the following questions. Explain to him that you are taking it out on Sunday and want to double check some things first so you don't ruin your kids' big trip (don't worry if it's not a big trip, you want the seller to "feel sorry" a bit for you and be willing to help a bit more).

1. Is the propane tank(s) empty?

If so, you will need to have it/them filled up. If not, then he should give you an idea of how much it likely has - you don't use a lot of propane (unless you're using the heater - and I doubt you'll need that this time of year as you are tent campers), so you should be good for this trip.

2. Is the house battery good and the charger/converter working? If not, then you won't have water, lights, and possibly fridge until you replace/fix. If so, then ask how long he could go on one charge? If longer than your trip, then you are good here. If shorter than, or equal to, your trip, then you will want to be stingy with the lights/etc., and don't use anything on an inverter or plugged into a 12v outlet until you have time to understand your usage better.

3. Has the water system been winterized and/or the hot water tank bypassed? If so, then ask him how to de-winterize and/or switch the hot water tank. If not, then you're good here.

4. Does the fridge have a pilot light that needs to be lit manually? Either answer, ask him how to do it (hopefully, he will just start explaining it to you).

5. How does the water heater work? (e.g., pilot light that needs to be lit manually; automatic; etc.) Have him explain how to use it when plugged into shore power and when dry camping (which is what you'll be doing this trip). Also ask where the water pump switch is - you'll need to turn this on to use the faucets.

6. Is there a 30amp to 15amp dogbone in the pop-up somewhere? If not, you'll need to buy one like this: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-55165-P...15+amp+dogbone

7. How does the toilet work? How do you empty it (some are hooked into a black tank that gets dumped; others have a compartment that gets pulled out and dumped into another toilet)

8. Did he include any other accessories such as fresh water hose, dump hoses (aka stinky slinky), etc.? If so, ask him where they are and how he used them (this can help you with your prep work below).

9. If he is nearby, ask if you can come by with the pop-up tomorrow and have him walk you through it quickly. Meanwhile you can be doing some basic prep work for your trip.

Basic prep work:

1. Get the dogbone and plug your RV into shore power (your house via a regular outlet). You cannot plug it in without the dogbone (the RV's power cord plug looks like your dryer plug but it is NOT 220v and CANNOT be plugged into your dryer outlet). Leave it plugged in until you are ready to leave, this will charge your house battery - REMEMBER TO UNPLUG BEFORE YOU DRIVE AWAY.

2. Set the fridge to Electric (there should be a switch or knob with "elect" and "gas" - switch it to "elect"). This will start cooling your fridge. Best to start this about 48 hours before leaving - that lets you start loading food/drinks the night before your trip. Once you get to your campsite, you'll change it to "gas" and light the pilot light. It will stay cold for a good 3 hour drive as long as you're not opening the fridge on the road.

3. Fill you fresh water tank. You should have a gravity fill system - it's plastic and round on the outside of the popup - you pull it out and run a hose into it to fill the tank - when water splashes back out, it's full (don't turn the water on full blast or it will splash back right away). As this is filling, you can do a quick test of the water - turn on the water pump and run some water through a faucet - does the water have a smell or icky taste? If so, you'll want to sanitize the tank. If not, you're fine. (if you need to sanitize holler and I'll provide those instructions).

For the trip itself, you really don't need to worry. Have a cooler on hand (I keep a soft-sided one in my RV closet "just in case") in case the fridge dies. If the fridge has a "mini freezer" in it, fill it with blue ice packs - that way if the fridge dies, you have something to help keep things cool why you go get ice. If the fridge doesn't die, you can use the ice packs to keep drinks, etc., cool while on day hikes.

You're in a campground, if the water system does something (pump dies, etc.), you have the campground water and facilities.

You have camping gear - bring your lanterns (if the house battery dies, you'll still have light); etc. Use your existing kitchen gear, bedding, and so on that you use when camping.

There is a deep need to fill all the cupboards with stuff - don't. Keep it as close to your normal camping routine as possible. As you continue to use the pop-up, you'll find things you don't need anymore and other things that you find you will start using. Each year, go through and purge anything that wasn't used in the past year.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Omgoodness this is all such great info! And I really really really wish I'd seen it BEFORE the trip ����

we we made it back...camper intact...same # of kids as when we left...and are all smiles, but not without drama and many mistakes:

- we were embarking on a 16 day trip, and that in itself was ambitious on a virgin run. I'd suggest new owners do a long weekend locally.

- we covered about 1500 miles. Stupid for a virgin run. But learned a TON.

- I planned to really use the 3 way fridge, but also had a cooler packed with frozen meats etc for first4 days. Mistake. We purposely chose non electric sites, but I thought between battery and propane we could juggle the fridge power since we didn't use ANY other lites/appliances. I thought since we had so much road time, it would change the battery in between sites? We were in Deep Creek Maryland and the alarm went off for power. My husband turned the car on and ran it for about 30 minutes (idling is horrible...I know!) hoping to charge battery. Next day our alternator was fried. Cost 370 for tow, alternator rebuild ☹️ And put us a day behind. What happened? Advice? Not sure why he wasn't running off propane instead, might have been out and planning to fill in morning. Do we have a wiring problem? A short? Fuse issue? Newbie ignorance? Help!

We we just nixed the fridge altogether and bought a second cooler. Was fine. Not very sustainable to manage ice daily though.

- I packed waaaay too many stops in for our first time. And I didn't pad with extra days for buffers in case of problems. I learned you're better off deadheading 7-8 hours rather than losing a day by setting up camp for a night every 4-5 hours in car. And instead of really trying to explore 5 areas in 16 days, we should have done 2 areas. The most fun we had was when we stayed at one campsite for 6 days in the Smokies.

- we never set up the awning prior. When we did, it was pouring rain and we didn't have all prices needed��

-the DIY bike rack hubs made to hold 5 bikes didn't jive with our switchback driveway which resulted in too tight of a pinchpoint, dented car and bike. One of the bike sprockets also put a gouge in the pop up roof ����

-some of the sites were so undeveloped it went beyond the range of the tongue post/wheel height ?? So unhitching was a pain.

Now some Good things:
                    - was really happy I planned ONE night at an old lodge to treat the family and enjoy the 30s architecture and a hot shower. And gratefully, it was the day AFTER hubby had to scramble to get the alternator rebuilt, AND it was his birthday. So it was awesome to surprise him by letting him know we didn't have to race to drive 5 hours and still set up camp. We pulled in to the Big Meadows Lodge at Shanendoah right before sunset, parked at the curb, ran through the lobby to the back deck, got a glass of wine to toast his bday and the sunset with the kiddos. Perfect.

-overall I'm really happy with what we packed. I overdid the kitchen utensils and kids toys (who needs a soccerball in the Smokies??!)

-I bought one of those cheapie, Sterilite, 3 drawer plastic dressers that fits perfectly in the back of our SUV. I have 3 boys, so they each had their own drawer. It was so easy to access their stuff daily and not have extra duffels laying around. And on laundromat days it was easy to restock.

Thanks all for the feedback. Please please chime in if you have more!

Comment

Whoa! I realize this is an old thread and the OP is long gone, but reading it gave me a serious anxiety attack. Thank God they made it home with some good memories.

Had I been here and read this post on the day it was originally posted, I believe I would have given this woman my phone number and begged her to call me. This is the biggest camping disaster coming head-on that I have ever seen.

Comment

It only is a disaster if you try to do more than you can handle. You can use any RV as a tent - all those conveniences (stove, fridge, toilet, etc.) can be ignored. Over the years, due to one reason or another, I have camped in a trailer and now my clipper without the following: lights, water, toilet, fridge, power in whole, and more that I can't think of. At those times, I took a page from my tent camping days and did it the "old fashioned way": lanterns and flashlights, campground water, campground toilet, cooler, etc. I actually keep a soft-sided cooler folded up in the RV, have enough lanterns and flashlights to supply a troup, and have a couple water jugs - just in case something goes down during a trip.

No biggie! :party:
                        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Of course you can! The problem is that she WANTED to use those conveniences, but thought she could do so from propane and battery power alone. The OP herself, once back home, advised that new owners should become more acquainted with the operations of their camper prior to any serious trip.

And, I would have liked to tell her that PUPs require a lot of set-up and take-down for just one or two nights per place.

Well, as I said, they came out with some good memories. I'll bet next time they got electric sites and did more camping, less traveling.

Comment

She wanted to use lights, fridge, and hot water. Those can. Be run on battery and propane with no problem - no electric hookups needed. The only questionable item on her OP was the idea of showering in the RV - her fresh tank isn't going to be big enough for real showers, but she can certainly use the water heater and hot water for brushing teeth, faces, hands, and dishes.

The idea that one must have electrical hookups to use your RV's conveniences is overboard. Unless you plan on using the AC, adding toasters, microwaves, hair dryers, etc., you don't need more than battery power (if you get a good battery).

I use my RV pretty much exclusively without hookups and it's never been a disaster.

As for changing sites every two days, yeah that's a big bite to chew, but it's no different than the folks who do "9 countries in 7 days" - it gets you out there, it let's you figure out what you want to see more of and less of, and it let's you have a great laugh down the road.

(edited because I forgot the OP's 2nd post stating they were moving campgrounds.)
                            Last edited by toedtoes; 11-17-2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X