Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battery Box

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
    Haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the box this week. I did get the charger mounted, batter hold down installed, & an on/off switch for the usb ports.
    Still waiting on my charging indicator led to get here, then I will add the diode. Almost complete.

Happy Joe: I hadn't really planned on it at this point as the total of 36ah should be more than enough to charge phones and lights while out. Ill see how depleted it gets first trip out and go from there.
    Wife and I each charged our phones a couple times plus a bluetooth speaker and ran an led light at nights on our 3 day trip without a problem. That was onlu a 10ah battery so you will probably be fine.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

Also, I have been working on mine this weekend as well and found that the charge controller isnt working....sending it back but since I dont have solar panels yet I am thinking of just skipping that step.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
        Haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the box this week. I did get the charger mounted, batter hold down installed, & an on/off switch for the usb ports.
        Still waiting on my charging indicator led to get here, then I will add the diode. Almost complete.

Happy Joe: I hadn't really planned on it at this point as the total of 36ah should be more than enough to charge phones and lights while out. Ill see how depleted it gets first trip out and go from there.
        Yep 35-36 AH seems to work pretty well, even with some stereo use (cellphone, with extra memory, as the music source + powered computer speakers & subwoofer) especially for weekend trips. Where I have occasionally run short is on longer "expeditions" while trying to not discharge the battery(s) below 80% charge level (to get the best life).

Originally posted by James. View Post
        Also, I have been working on mine this weekend as well and found that the charge controller isnt working....sending it back but since I dont have solar panels yet I am thinking of just skipping that step.
        Without the panels I think you would be fine.
        Baby sitting the panels and battery can work but it can also be a PITA (especially with larger/more powerful panels)... I will be using a controller on the next system.

Enjoy!
        Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-05-2016, 08:42 AM. Reason: added "charge level" to clarify
        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

HJ, RE: " Where I have occasionally run short is on longer "expeditions" while trying to not discharge the battery(s) below 80% (to get the best life)." Discharge rates like that will kill most batteries- is this lithium technology or some other metal storage technology?
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Lead acid AGM.
            I don't see 80% charge to be a large discharge (you are likely thinking 80% discharge; I agree a battery killer)...
            I try to stay above 80% charge level for the deep discharge batteries, though I have occasionally run them down to 50%.

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-05-2016, 08:46 AM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
              Yep 35-36 AH seems to work pretty well, even with some stereo use (cellphone, with extra memory, as the music source + powered computer speakers & subwoofer) especially for weekend trips. Where I have occasionally run short is on longer "expeditions" while trying to not discharge the battery(s) below 80% charge level (to get the best life).

Without the panels I think you would be fine.
              Baby sitting the panels and battery can work but it can also be a PITA (especially with larger/more powerful panels)... I will be using a controller on the next system.

Enjoy!
              Yeah, I am not worried about it. Just wanted it for future panels and to shut itself off with the ac charger.

I have a new one on order and will install it when it gets here but untill then I will just do without.
              – E. B. White

Comment

If all you're doing is charging cellphones and running an LED light, a 35AH battery will be fine for a long weekend trip. If it really comes down to it, you could always hook it to a cigarette lighter adapter for a short time to give it a boost in the car/truck.
                Last edited by MacGyver; 07-05-2016, 10:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                  Lead acid AGM.
                  I don't see 80% charge to be a large discharge (you are likely thinking 80% discharge; I agree a battery killer)...
                  I try to stay above 80% charge level for the deep discharge batteries, though I have occasionally run them down to 50%.

Enjoy!
                  I think your AGMs are a lot more robust than you give them credit for, we've always run our OPTIMA down to 50-55% discharge, just never below the 60% threshold. I saw the receipt yesterday, I purchased it at Costco in 2008 and it still provides a weekend of power before needing to be plugged into a generator or charger.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                    I think your AGMs are a lot more robust than you give them credit for, we've always run our OPTIMA down to 50-55% discharge, just never below the 60% threshold. I saw the receipt yesterday, I purchased it at Costco in 2008 and it still provides a weekend of power before needing to be plugged into a generator or charger.
                    ... possibly, but I long ago learned not to stress (or to depend on) things "made in china" too heavily... I suspect there is a world of difference between an Optima and a relatively inexpensive chinese wheelchair/scooter battery...

Enjoy!

Comment

Batteries. Charging. Are you quite certain you wish to go camping?
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                        Are you saying that you take NO batteries with you when you go camping? Not even a watch or clock?
                        – E. B. White

Comment

What would I need a clock for? I want to get AWAY from watches and clocks!
                          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I, kind of, agree; I did install more memory in the cellphone and now, occasionally, use it as a music source, to provide signal to the camping stereo and subwoofer though. Its not any use as a phone in the good spots (no cell coverage).

Enjoy!
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-12-2016, 07:31 AM.

Comment

What would I need a clock for? I want to get AWAY from watches and clocks!
                              So then NO batteries?
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Made a change to the battery, to avoid a spider web of wires in the tent; added a 4 channel remote...
                                https://www.amazon.com/INSMA-Channel...+control+relay

One channel powers up the inverter and 2 channels switch the outlets... I may add another switched 12 volt channel in the future.
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	battery with remote DSCF0240.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	70613

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                                X