Battery Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Battery Box

For a voltmeter I just use a (free with a coupon) H/F digital multimeter, be aware that the battery needs to sit unused/without charging for nearly a day (24 hours) before a reliable voltage reading (for charge level estimation) can be obtained...

Enjoy!
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
      For a voltmeter I just use a (free with a coupon) H/F digital multimeter, be aware that the battery needs to sit unused/without charging for nearly a day (24 hours) before a reliable voltage reading (for charge level estimation) can be obtained...

Enjoy!
      Joe I think you meant to say 2-3 hours static (unused) to remove "surface charge".
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The charger will shut off when a full charge is reached. The volt meter is more for checking charge level when its been used in camp. For general testing of the battery, I have a load tester designed to test these smaller batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
          Joe I think you meant to say 2-3 hours static (unused) to remove "surface charge".
          I think it depends on the battery and charge/use rate; I have had some large batteries (semi-tractor) that took way longer than 7 AH batteries for the chemistry to settle down/stabilize (24 hours is from the literature and probably pretty much a worst case).
          https://openlibrary.org/works/OL4815...th_ample_power

By worst case, in my hardest use, I mean welding with batteries (much worse/harder on them than winching) then using the engine & alternator to bulk charge (not float/multistage charge).

By baby sitting batteries, multiple times, during a trickle solar charge I have gotten pretty good at guessing the charge level (after they stabilize) from a voltmeter reading during charge.

... the point is; don't be surprised when the battery that you though was charged to 100% turns out to have less charge, after sitting a bit, than the volt meter said it did while charging.

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-28-2016, 03:07 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I don't know where I came up with two hours, it was six hours, or one of these two other methods to remove surface charge:

If you have just recharged your battery, then a phenomenon known as "surface charge" will cause the battery voltage to be higher than normal. To insure accurate readings, you must eliminate any surface charge before testing. Use one of the following methods;
            1. Allow the battery to sit for six hours with no load or charger connected, or...
            2. Apply a 25 amp load for three minutes and wait five minutes, or...
            3. With a battery load tester, apply a 150 amp load for 10-15 seconds.

And thanks to "12V side of life", hehe.

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm#testing
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

I have also noticed the reverse effect (sometimes I can be vey hard on batteries) where after a heavy discharge, it takes the batteries a while to recover/register their true state of charge (they read low until the chemistry recovers)... any more I just slap on a dual range charger, if at home, and let the battery charge after use or figure the drive home or to camp will likely charge them well enough.
              For the camp solar; I just charge the (35 AH) battery for roughly 1.5 times the time it was used for lighting because the panels match pretty well the lighting draw, then verify with the voltmeter (estimating the true charge, based on experience) before folding everything up and returning the battery to the tent.

I typically have too much junk along to carry the load tester too.

Enjoy!

Comment

Got some of the parts in the mail today. I overlooked the fact that the usb part has a small led on it. I guess Ill add a master on/off switch. Not bad, I was able to put 3 18ah batteries in with plenty of room to spare. Ill have to make a hold down for the batteries. Should have the charger and the charging indicator by the end of the week. Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	70556Click image for larger version

Name:	image2.JPG
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	70557Click image for larger version

Name:	image3.JPG
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	70558Click image for larger version

Name:	image4.JPG
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	70559

Comment

Nice.
                  “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Kmaysob, what is weight of your power supply?

Comment

...Looking good!

Enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                        Kmaysob, what is weight of your power supply?
                        Current weight without charger is 26 lbs. Charger will add 1-2 lbs.

Comment

Good work Kmaysob. Looks great!
                          2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
                          Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
                          Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
                          Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
                            Current weight without charger is 26 lbs. Charger will add 1-2 lbs.
                            Aah, the same AH/lb. ratio as my Optima.

Comment

kmaysob; any plans to add solar charging?
                              I find it can help on trips longer than long weekends (assuming the site is not too shady).

Enjoy!

Comment

Haven't had a whole lot of time to work on the box this week. I did get the charger mounted, batter hold down installed, & an on/off switch for the usb ports.
                                Still waiting on my charging indicator led to get here, then I will add the diode. Almost complete.

Happy Joe: I hadn't really planned on it at this point as the total of 36ah should be more than enough to charge phones and lights while out. Ill see how depleted it gets first trip out and go from there.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X