Battery Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Box

I have been tinkering with the idea of getting power while I am camping. Nothing big. I just want to charge my cell phone and bluetooth spearker and run a led light at night. Maybe more in the future but so far that is it.

What I wanted was a Goal Zero solar generator. My sticking point is the cost. Once I thought about what I REALLY needed I realized that it wasn't much. I don't need a anything like a car battery and I don't need solar panels. With the right type of battery I can charge it at home and it will last a few days.

With that in mind I bought a 12v 10 amp/hour battery and started building. Given my time restraints and desire to take it on my upcoming camping trip to test it out I just had time to make it VERY basic. It is a battery in a plastic ammo box with a 12v socket attached. I then used the cell phone holder from my truck (it has 2 usb ports built in) that plugs into a 12v socket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160613_160440.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	72906Click image for larger version

Name:	20160613_160424.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	72907

That thing charge both my wife and I's cell phones multiple times, charged my bluetooth speaker twice and ran the led light at night with no problem.

So now I am working to make it pretty. I realize that the box I have is just a bit to small so I am looking for a new one. Once found I will put a 12v socket and 2 dual usb ports (so there will be 4 total) that will mount in the side of the box. There will be a charge controller so it won't over charge and a port to plug in a wall charger. Plus it will be ready for when I can get some solar panels.

I already have the charge controller, 12v socket, usb ports and the wall charger stuff. I basically need the box so I can put it all together.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Battery Box

How about gluing one of those 3-way cigarette lighter adapters, the kind with both lighter and USB sockets, to the top and coating the connectors with liquid tape? To charge it, solder a cigarette lighter plug to the charger and the solar setup when you get it. You don't have to mount a controller in the box. The AC charger should be the float type that won't over charge, and the solar controller can be mounted under the panel
    Last edited by MacGyver; 06-13-2016, 06:31 PM.

Comment

This is a project we did also in 2008. Because we used an AGM battery, there was no need for a battery box. We attached by quick disconnects whatever the appliance dongle is needed. This saved a lot of space over the big plastic battery box. In your application, obviously you need a surface or space for the charge controller.
      Last edited by tplife; 06-13-2016, 07:04 PM.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        How about gluing one of those 3-way cigarette lighter adapters, the kind with both lighter and USB sockets, to the top and coating the connectors with liquid tape? To charge it, solder a cigarette lighter plug to the charger and the solar setup when you get it. You don't have to mount a controller in the box. The AC charger should be the float type that won't over charge, and the solar controller can be mounted under the panel
        I want the controller in the box as it also has the meter (a crude one) that showes the battery level.
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
          I want the controller in the box as it also has the meter (a crude one) that showes the battery level.
          NO! DO IT MY WAY!

And add this: https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3721-B.../dp/B000EVWDU0

or not. :he:

Comment

NO! DO IT MY WAY!

Argh...but its so ugly. My way will be sleak and sexy...

Just like me:mdr:
            – E. B. White

Comment

Argh...but its so ugly. My way will be sleak and sexy...

Just like me:mdr:
              Exit: Stage right. LOL

Comment

Or you could just buy something like this: https://www.amazon.com/16800mAh-Portable-Starter-Multi-Functional-External-Multivariate/dp/B01H0GMD1U/ref=sr_1_6?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1465882108&sr= 1-6&keywords=weiyi

Oops sorry - go on with your manly creations. :tussor:
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                  The problem with jump starters and car batteries in general is that they are designed to provide maximum amps for a short burst. If use them for power they usually die. The add itself warns that you need to charge it every 3 months to avoid killing it.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

Good Idea!...By making what you want you get exactly what YOU want...
                    Did something similar when I started using CFL lighting while camping (pre-LED/back in the stone age).
                    For me a single 8 amp hour battery (and UPS inverter, to run the CFL) evolved into an ammo can with four 8 amp hour batteries, a cig lighter outlet and a H/F trickle charger. Whichevolved into this (added solar panel, only used on week long or longer expeditions, and a larger inverter)

Name:	First supply.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	70522
                    which eventually evolved into this (a 35 amp hour battery with a quite small, modified H/F inverter(has USB output) attached;

Name:	batt w invert.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	70523
                    A single 35 amp hour battery was cheaper (on sale) than replacing the four old batteries, again, and provides power for both lighting and entertainment (and now that I have gotten a cell; to charge the phone if required/desired (unlikely!))

The great part about making stuff yourself is that it can evolve with your needs/desires.
                    (Sometimes I miss the ammo can as it had the ability to store a few accessories).

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-14-2016, 08:22 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

NO! DO IT MY WAY!

Hahaha, that's nearly identical to the CampingWorld voltmeter we're using with our power supply. Must have cost me a whole $15 after borrowing PoodleSuzieq's CampingWorld discount. We're chasing limited gear with unlimited funds, lol... (or is that the other way around?). :money:
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

This thread got me thinking. I'm going to build something similar that will utilize an 18ah battery. I found the power outlets i'm going to use on amazon. I think I found what I will use for a charger. More to come!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1L3J2LUFBWZ71

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
                          This thread got me thinking. I'm going to build something similar that will utilize an 18ah battery. I found the power outlets i'm going to use on amazon. I think I found what I will use for a charger. More to come!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1L3J2LUFBWZ71
                          If you are planning on using that voltage meter you will want to add a momentary switch. Otherwise it will slowly drain the battery.
                          – E. B. White

Comment

If you are planning on using that voltage meter you will want to add a momentary switch. Otherwise it will slowly drain the battery.
                            Good call on the momentary switch. I got the box, charger, power plug/v meter, a fuse holder, momentary switch,a self contained led (no external resistor needed) , and a pack of 4a rated diodes on the way. Going to add a diode inline with the charger to prevent it from potentially draining the battery when not in use and to give me the ability to only light the charging led when the charger is on.

I have 18ah batteries coming out of my ears, so that helped offset the cost of adding the charger.

Comment

Originally posted by kmaysob View Post
                              Good call on the momentary switch. I got the box, charger, power plug/v meter, a fuse holder, momentary switch,a self contained led (no external resistor needed) , and a pack of 4a rated diodes on the way. Going to add a diode inline with the charger to prevent it from potentially draining the battery when not in use and to give me the ability to only light the charging led when the charger is on.

I have 18ah batteries coming out of my ears, so that helped offset the cost of adding the charger.
                              Oooooo....I like the charging light. I hadnt thought of that.
                              – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                              X