X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• road trip ideas?

this summer will be taking a south east US road trip,
    from NY down to FL to Houston TX, then circling back to NY,
    2 of us and a 5 yr old, it wont be so much of a camping trip as just a road trip, spread out over 3 weeks or so
    figure i throw it out there to get some ideas,
    2 things we want to do , have as much BBQ as possible , eating bbq in each state, and also visit any great playgrounds in each state for the lil one
    we have done a similar trip years ago without little and loved the bbq aspect.
    we are also big national park fans, so can throw those in
    any ideas along those lines is appreciated

Re: road trip ideas?

which general route are you taking, the East side (like I-95) or further west (like I-81) ?

Comment

Originally posted by hickory View Post
      which general route are you taking, the East side (like I-95) or further west (like I-81) ?
      originally was thinking 81
      recent plans has us going down 95 to FL, nothing written in stone yet,

Comment

OK.......lemme try it this way and thennnnnn you can figure out where youse want to stay accordingly. Do not ask why these links are stored in my bookmarks. Oops:

BBQ Joints

Parker's Barbecue
        4.4 (103) · $$ · Barbecue
        No-frills stop for family-style BBQ
        2514 U.S. 301

Dukes Barbecue
        4.2 (48) · $$ · Barbecue
        Neighborhood buffet eatery since 1985
        949 Robertson Blvd

Malson's Barbeque
        4.4 (36) · Barbecue
        1330 Boone Ave Ext

http://thedailysouth.southernliving....rbecue-joints/

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/v...ic.php?t=22949

http://forums.roadfood.com/Good-BBQ-...NC-m30972.aspx

Somewhere (not properly filed of course) I have some spots for TX stored. Lemme look for them and get back to you.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          OK.......lemme try it this way and thennnnnn you can figure out where youse want to stay accordingly. Do not ask why these links are stored in my bookmarks. Oops:

BBQ Joints

http://thedailysouth.southernliving....rbecue-joints/

http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/v...ic.php?t=22949

http://forums.roadfood.com/Good-BBQ-...NC-m30972.aspx

Somewhere (not properly filed of course) I have some spots for TX stored. Lemme look for them and get back to you.
          can almost smell the brisket already

me and the wife have had KC, memphis, carolina, and TX BBQ
          have to say TX is our favorite, its all about the meat,
          doesnt mean we dont like that carolina vinegar sauce or those memphis and KC ribs

nycgirl, if you like bbq in NYC i highly recommend hill country bbq on 26th street,
          closest thing to authentic tx bbq around

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            originally was thinking 81
            recent plans has us going down 95 to FL, nothing written in stone yet,
            Ok, I can't help to much ( As I've only driven as far south as NC, and only once) but I heard before I went and since that I-95 may be the busier road (cars in particular) as it goes by some major cities. I-81 I think tends to be quieter but with more semi traffic perhaps. If 95 is going to be the way perhaps a detour in Delaware (just south of philly) to Assateague Island National Seashore in Maryland with its wild horses might interest you https://www.nps.gov/asis/index.htm/index.htm on the I81 side you may get near to Amish areas in Pa that might be worth a drive through, also on that route there somewhere with underground caves that can be toured with a auto museum almost next door in Va, not to far off the highway as I remember. Maybe others have additional thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by hickory View Post
              Ok, I can't help to much ( As I've only driven as far south as NC, and only once) but I heard before I went and since that I-95 may be the busier road (cars in particular) as it goes by some major cities. I-81 I think tends to be quieter but with more semi traffic perhaps. If 95 is going to be the way perhaps a detour in Delaware (just south of philly) to Assateague Island National Seashore in Maryland with its wild horses might interest you https://www.nps.gov/asis/index.htm/index.htm on the I81 side you may get near to Amish areas in Pa that might be worth a drive through, also on that route there somewhere with underground caves that can be toured with a auto museum almost next door in Va, not to far off the highway as I remember. Maybe others have additional thoughts
              thats why i post things like this
              forget about such things and worth taking note to remember, thank you
              as for VA/PA, we have a place in PA,
              on route back may go through WV into PA, that region with its rolling hills is one of the most beautiful regions/drives around

Comment

WV up I64 is beautiful. There is a coal mine trail near Beckley. The Greenbrier Hotel is a great day trip especially the Cold War Bunker, as is the National Radio Astronomy Observatory at Greenbank. Rt. 219 has a great FB page with music all along the route. Cranberry Glades is a wonderful bit of ecology. My favorite state park is a bit East of I64 and that is Beartown.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Putting a young lady to bed right now so will be back prolly in the middle of the night
                  2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Take it from a Marylander - Assateague Island and the wild ponies are really cool, but the weather isn't. Just over a week ago it was in the 30s in the morning, but the switch was thrown last week and it's now Summer. Hot and humid. So now, along with the ponies at Assateague, you also get flies and mosquitoes that are all carrying knives and 9mm handguns. I know people still go, even in the swelter of July and August, but I'll never understand it.

If anything, I'd recommend taking the I-81 route and checking out the western part of the state. My go-to campground, Green Ridge State Forest, is just under an hour away from I-81 in Hagerstown, MD. Further out west, about another hour, is New Germany State Park.

Comment

If you are traveling I95, might I suggest Nanny's Restaurant in Petersburg, VA AND Ralph's BBQ IN Roanoke Rapids, NC. Both serve outstanding Carolina style BBQ.

Comment

Native NY'er here. If you can fit it in your itinerary, I highly recommend a visit to Fire Island National Seashore, and if have a second day, drive along the North Fork of Long Island to Orient Point State Park. It's a beautiful state park on the northern tip of Long Island, great for picnicing, bbq, etc. Along the way there are many farms, wineries and quaint towns you can stop at to walk around, ice cream etc. If interested, PM or email me and I'll give you more details. You can camp at FINS but I'm not sure how early you need to reserve.

Comment

This is the only TX link I've found so far but I made a shout out to a friend in Canton Station, TX so expect add ons when the 2 of us finally get 2 gabbing; sometimes we have time zone issues:

https://www.thrillist.com/eat/housto...bbq-in-houston
                          2017:

Comment

I would suggest leaving I81 in southern Va. to do a section of the Blue Ridge Pkwy. through to the Smokey Mountains National Park. From there you can go east into the Carolina's for Carolina BBQ and then travel I95 to Fla. or pick up I75 in Knoxville to Fla. through Chattanooga, Atlanta, and such.

Comment

Family friendly attractions:

http://www.monkeyjungle.com/
                              2017:

Comment

Working...
                              X