Dry camping in SE Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry camping in SE Ohio

We are back at our favorite spot in SE Ohio at AEP Lands. Free camping, free firewood, and free white noise thanks to the hatching of the 17 year cicadas.
    Attached Files
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Re: Dry camping in SE Ohio

Music and it's appreciators of all species!
    Come camp by me but err leave the cicadas behind :glasses:.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

The dog thinks the cicadas are pretty tasty. There are a few recipes for humans, but I am not a player.

This was an interesting trip as the dying cicadas seem to wait until nightfall to drop from the trees. Sitting around the campfire you are constantly being hit by cicadas. It sounds like rainfall all around you, but it is not rain.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Double post
        Last edited by actad; 06-01-2016, 06:03 PM.
        - Laura

Comment

Taking the boat this time
          Attached Files
          - Laura

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
            Taking the boat this time
            Nice. Is it tough to load and unload it?
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by James. View Post
              Nice. Is it tough to load and unload it?
              The rack was an early Fathers Day gift this year since we missed not having a jon boat when we camp near a lake. Can't have the tailgate down when pulling the travel trailer. Got the rack from Sportsman's Guide.

We are both mobility challenged seniors, so it takes two of us and some teamwork to load and unload. The boat is only about 75 lbs so getting it on the rack is the easy part. We put it on right side up. Then, I work the front lead line on the prow while my husband flips the boat upside down. The seat backs fit perfectly between the racks once the rear seat is rotated 180 degrees

At the lake, we reverse the last step so the boat is right side up before it comes off the rack. Since the access ramp is on an angle, once off the rack, we slide it in the bed right side up, go down the ramp, and unload out of the bed. Add the gear and we are ready to go.

We just leave it in the truck bed until we load up for home.
              Last edited by actad; 06-13-2016, 07:34 PM.
              - Laura

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                The rack was an early Fathers Day gift this year since we missed not having a jon boat when we camp near a lake. Can't have the tailgate down when pulling the travel trailer. Got the rack from Sportsman's Guide.

We are both mobility challenged seniors, so it takes two of us and some teamwork to load and unload. The boat is only about 75 lbs so getting it on the rack is the easy part. We put it on right side up. Then, I work the front lead line on the prow while my husband flips the boat upside down. The seat backs fit perfectly between the racks once the rear seat is rotated 180 degrees

At the lake, we reverse the last step so the boat is right side up before it comes off the rack. Since the access ramp is on an angle, once off the rack, we slide it in the bed right side up, go down the ramp, and unload out of the bed. Add the gear and we are ready to go.
                Sounds like you have it down to a science.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Some pics from this last trip. The lake is an old strip mine site. Caught enough for a bluegill feast.
                  Attached Files
                  - Laura

Comment

I can't imagine how many bluegill it would take for me to feast on.
                    – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                    X