Gluten free camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gluten free camping

I haven't dug deep yet but I haven't noticed much on this. My wife has s gluten intolerance so gluten free is s must. The upside is I do most of the cooking and am very creative. Stay tuned for gluten free recipes around the campsite.

Re: Gluten free camping

Waiting with bated breath:glasses:.
    And here's a head's up- King Arthur's Baking Circle website is closing down this weekend so if there are any recipes you want to save now is the time.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Gimme your gluten. I'm a glutton for gluten!
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I don't have Gluten Sensitivity, but my bestest buddy does. His wife had gotten good at cooking gluten-free, but she sadly as passed away.
        I do sometimes choose to buy GF foods at the grocery, as I eat a lot of bread and pasta, I figure reducing the G can be beneficial.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

never understood the gluten free trend
          know someone whos son has a gluten allergy
          shes always posting gluten free info online
          yet her son is always at the local pizza shop eating pizza after school

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            never understood the gluten free trend
            know someone whos son has a gluten allergy
            shes always posting gluten free info online
            yet her son is always at the local pizza shop eating pizza after school
            Some Pizza places have Gluten Free options. We have a local place that has gluten free crust, as well as Dominos and Pizza Hut.

Comment

Originally posted by CMPR1966 View Post
              Some Pizza places have Gluten Free options. We have a local place that has gluten free crust, as well as Dominos and Pizza Hut.
              this is at a local nyc pizza joint by a school
              not some specialty pizza shop

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                this is at a local nyc pizza joint by a school
                not some specialty pizza shop
                Most of the regular pizza places have gluten free now - local places, big chains, etc. I don't think any of our pizza places DON'T have gluten-free options.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I live in Mississippi. If you want "gluten free' then you are SOL :-)

Comment

Here in Tallahassee, Florida our Publix Groceries have glutenfree pizza crusts, so you can make your own.
                    Regarding some "glutenfree foods", be careful to make sure it hasn't been processed on machinery used to also process wheat and other gluten products. Contamination results.
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Here's a gluten free recipe which I frequently enjoy: Vienna sausages out of the can. I prefer the jalapeno ones, with a nice Chianti.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                        Here's a gluten free recipe which I frequently enjoy: Vienna sausages out of the can. I prefer the jalapeno ones, with a nice Chianti.
                        What no fava beans?!?
                        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My 5yo has a sensitivity to wheat. I don't know if it's the gluten or if it's something else in wheat that causes him trouble, but it's something. And it's only if he eats it over several days - so a cupcake at a birthday party might not cause him any ill effects, but a regular cupcake a day for 3-4 days would cause some tummy troubles. So it's not a proper *allergy* with a sudden reaction, but there's some kind of weird cumulative effect.

So we just avoid it because I like to keep the laundry as pleasant as possible.

It's pretty easy to find GF substitutes for things now, which is nice, but the simplest thing is just to stick with meat/fruits/veggies. When we have hamburgers or hot dogs, he just has it without a bun. When I use a pre-made spice mix, I check ingredients. He loves sandwiches, so we do buy GF sandwich bread regularly - Aldi has a great one at a good price.

Comment

Muffintop - it may be just that the finished products as a whole are bothersome, not individual ingredients. I have issues with fettuccini alfredo. One plate and I can be in serious trouble. But it's not lactose intolerance as I've been told repeatedly by people. It's just that the alfredo sauce is too rich for MY stomach. Once in a while, I can eat a child's portion and be fine, but too often or too big a serving and...

I have no problem with any other dairy product (I can drink a gallon of milk in a day without a problem and a glass a day actually helps my stomach stay calm). I have no problem with noodles in any other sauce. But that alfredo sauce just kills me.

Carbs are high in calories and are often served with sweet additions (butter, frostings, sauces, etc.). Most people who eat hot dogs or hamburgers put lots of ketchup, mustard, etc. on the buns. Eliminate the bun and you're also reducing the amount of toppings used (you don't need as much ketchup to dip the hot dog in as you do for the hot dog AND bun). Tomato products can be rough on tummies too. So, it may be that rather than an issue with wheat, he's just more sensitive to rich foods (like the ketchup and frosting, etc. that is put on his breads). If you tend to stick with meat/fruits/veggies and less processed foods, then that would lend to this possibility (because unprocessed foods are not as "rich" or "strong" for the tummy to handle so you wouldn't see the problem under normal circumstances - just when he's eating stuff out of the norm for your family).

A friend recently took wheat out of her diet. She says she feels calmer (she has hyper-active issues). I suspect it's because she doesn't eat/drink a lot of sweets normally and by removing the wheat products, she's actually removing the bulk of her sugar intake. Less sugar, less hyper. But because it's connected inherently to the wheat products and wheat is the latest "bad thing", she sees the elimination of wheat as the causation for her calming effect.
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
                            X