Kelty Tent advise TN3 - Trail ridge 3 - Outfitter pro 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelty Tent advise TN3 - Trail ridge 3 - Outfitter pro 3

between the Kelty TN3 & Trailridge 3, ,which would be the best for tropical forest & high condensation climates? Looking at these 2 because of the "moonroof" set up of the fly for nice nights. the Outfitter Pro 3 seems to be more rugged and more for long term, but im worried that the lack of mesh walls when comparing to the TN3 will not be good with condensation.

questions:

1. Would Nylon or Polyester be my best bet?
    2. Floor Material again Nylon or Polyester be my best bet?

im new to all of this tech stuff so please be kind!

Gracias Amigos!! greetings from the Karst region of Puerto Rico
    Attached Files

Re: Kelty Tent advise TN3 - Trail ridge 3 - Outfitter pro 3

No experience with those particular tents, but I do know that nylon is typically stronger and more abrasion resistant than polyester. BUT - polyester isn't prone to sagging and stretching when wet like nylon. If you're going into known areas with a lot of moisture, I would stay with polyester. Just be prepared to pay a bit more for it.

iY bienvenido al foro!
    (Como me gusta decir - puedo hablar el español bastante bien por un gringo)

Comment

Definitely go with the mesh! We've experienced awfully warm and humid winter weather, right up near you in Luquillo . I'd select tents that have a polyester (ripstop reinforced) upper fly for UV resistance, and nylon tent body and floor. Most high-end tents utilize these materials, and carbon fiber poles are being seen more and more as well.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Agree with MacGyver (and tp, just saw your post). Personally, no experience with either tent, although the TN3 is highly rated and was one of the first tents to offer the "pull back full coverage fly" that can be rolled down without getting out of the tent should inclement weather interrupt your star gazing (or ventilation). There are lots of youtube videos of the TN3. I believe the Trailridge 3 was redesigned this year to incorporate some of the fly features of the TN3. I agree on the outfitter pro 3, it may be too warm/stuffy for your conditions, but it is built with thicker fabrics/poles/coatings. You'll pay for that extra durability tho with a weight penalty and my hunch is less much ventilation due to the fabric walls (they'll block slight breezes at night-not good if hot/humid).

Most of the tents I own have nylon floors (70-210 denier) and polyester flies (with either PU or PU/Si coatings). I still appreciate the durability/abrasion resistance of the nylon floors.

Polyester will provide better protection against UV rays, which may play a factor in your location. Although neither tent fabric will withstand constant UV exposure over time without deteriorating. Poly just buys more time.

The link attached is a good demonstration of water and sagging/stretching in nylon vs polyester in fly tent construction. (yea, it's from some dude custom designing and selling tents-it's still a good write-up that I found surfing the net. lol...it's gotta be true!) He argues against nylon floors for the same reason, stretching/shrinking when dry/wet. I like poly flies...but I'll stick with my preferred nylon in a floor fabric...which I tend to keep dry by always using a footprint.

Link: http://thetentlab.com/MoonLightTents/PolyNyl.html
        Last edited by a65hoosier; 05-24-2016, 07:10 PM.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X