DIY Camp Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY Camp Kitchen

Sorry I missed your post earlier; some types of gas cylinders are readily available here, one of the most popular is a screw threaded one pound propane tank I suspect you cannot use these.

Some small pierce style butane or mixed gas/Gaz cylinders are also available (though less popular here);

...I rarely see the larger size in stores.

There seems to be two styles of valve type camping gaz cylinders, one threaded and another unthreaded, available of these seems to be spotty at best in the stores that I frequent,
    http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....sters-101.html

again I usually see the smaller/shorter canisters.
    EDIT; I was in Wal-Mart today and saw a large size screw on/threaded style Coleman canister;
    Click image for larger version

Name:	coleman cansiter large walmart.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	70579

Probably the best chance of getting fuel for your particular stove would be from an outfitter like REI in one of the larger cities near your destination.
    Target and Wal-mart (large chain stores that are pretty much everywhere) also carry some types but your best bet would be to search on the internet using these stores and even then you may be disappointed, since different stores stock different items.

Hope it helps...
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-06-2016, 08:16 PM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Thanks a lot Joe.
      The type of Butane cartridges we use are these:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	23894.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	70593
      They have no valve, there is a hollow nail in the stove which drills the cartridge on top and a gasket that seal it.
      I don't think we can carry these cartidges on the airplane, so we will have to buy them in El Paso TX, when we arrive, or somewhere along the road while heading north towards Albuquerque.

Comment

Originally posted by Stefano View Post
        Thanks a lot Joe.
        The type of Butane cartridges we use are these:
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]5675[/ATTACH]
        They have no valve, there is a hollow nail in the stove which drills the cartridge on top and a gasket that seal it.
        I don't think we can carry these cartidges on the airplane, so we will have to buy them in El Paso TX, when we arrive, or somewhere along the road while heading north towards Albuquerque.
        On the 28th when you posted I was packing to leave on my long camping trip so missed your thread as well. Seems like one of the styles Happy Joe listed a picture of comes close to looking like what you are currently using.
        Can you contact the maker of the campingaz and ask them for an American source of your butane canisters? You might find it easier to buy or rent a stove here. Propane canisters are readily available for all sorts of stoves.

Have fun out there no matter your decision.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Sorry!
          ...double post...
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 07-28-2016, 07:00 AM.
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

That looks like what I see in stores as a pierce style canister

The ones that I see seem to be shorter than your pic; I don't know if your stove can take both sizes.
            Also since its summer any given store may be out of what you need, especially around labor day (Sept 8th this year)

Do you have a local contact (close to where you will arrive or to where you are going) that you could ask to check out Wal-Mart, hopefully a superstore, and/or the local sporting goods/camping stores to find what you are looking for? Trying to find your way around an unfamiliar city to go shopping sounds like a potential problem do you have a GPS that will give directions to a store? I'm sure that you can download a map of El Paso and/or Albuquerque.

El Paso does not seem to have an REI store but Albuquerque does
            https://www.rei.com/stores/albuquerque.html
            I would give them a call first to see if they have what you need

Elpaso seems to have a gander mountain but I do not see butane canisters.
            http://www.gandermountain.com/store-...paign=Store398

Elpaso has a number of walmart super stores
            https://www.google.com/search?q=elpa...art+superstore
            but I do not find pierce style butane canisters.
            However I do find some inexpensive stoves ($17 to $20) so you might consider getting a stove and canister.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks a lot guys! I'll follow your directions. If I don't find the right canisters, it won't be too expensive to buy a new small stove US standard.
              Looking forward visiting USA!!!!

Comment

Working...
              X