Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY Camp Kitchen

Thank you all;
    ...I will attempt to do better in the future...

Enjoy!

(Edit); I see we now have a thanks button...Goody!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-25-2016, 10:43 AM. Reason: found thanks button
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	positioning brackets coated with VHB tapeDSCF0227.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	70500Click image for larger version

Name:	positiong brackets installed DSCF0229.jpg
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	70501

I just cut some top shelf (underside) extruded angle positioning brackets (side to side).
      Coated one side with Scotch VHB tape (super industrial strength double sided tape) and installed them.

Its now ready for a preliminary first use test run to find any unknown/unobvious issues.

Enjoy!

...please excuse the toes...
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-25-2016, 04:37 PM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

...please excuse the toes...[/QUOTE]
        ...thank goodness they aren't nekkid!:D........

Got to say I'm loving your use of Lexan.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          [/QUOTE]

Hey, this Toes doesn't post nekkid!!
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Got to say I'm loving your use of Lexan.[/QUOTE]

You may like the Lexan better without the protective coating (optically clear but blocks U-V)...

Name:	nearly done DSCF0230.jpg
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	70502

dissembled & folded ...

Name:	disasembledDSCF0235.jpg
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	70503

Enjoy!
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-25-2016, 07:51 PM.

Comment

The second picture is the unit partially disassembled?
              2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Actually fully disassembled; It breaks down into the walker 3 shelves (small medium & large and 4 pieces of conduit.
                the collapsible bowl fits into one of the tote drawers.

I seem to be having pic upload issues...

got it...

Enjoy!
                Attached Files

Comment

The test flight went pretty well everything stood up to the snow and rain just fine over this last Memorial Day weekend.
                  I should try hard to get at least a slightly bigger collapsible bowl for the sink (and make its shelf hole a looser fit.
                  I should fasten the EMT (conduit) shelf stiffeners to the shelves to make setup and transport less fumbly; I will wait on this until I find a larger sink/bowl.
                  I will look into some 1/2 inch aluminum tube as a replacement for the steel EMT conduit to decrease the weight slightly.
                  After some use I probably won't temporarily fasten the top shelf to the walker with Velcro (shelf tipage was not an issue, at least with the stove in place).
                  I should modify the stove for a rear facing gas inlet (or get a new one), the current gas hose location was in the way.
                  I definitely need (to make) a large tool (spatulas, tongs etc.) storage drawer and the middle shelf needs some sort of drawer/tote guides.

Although projects like these often seem to continue (with modifications and changes) indefinitely, I'm going to call this one a success.

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-31-2016, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                    The test flight went pretty well everything stood up to the snow and rain just fine over this last Memorial Day weekend.
                    I should try hard to get at least a slightly bigger collapsible bowl for the sink (and make its shelf hole a looser fit.
                    I should fasten the EMT (conduit) shelf stiffeners to the shelves to make setup and transport less fumbly; I will wait on this until I find a larger sink/bowl.
                    I will look into some 1/2 inch aluminum tube as a replacement for the steel EMT conduit to decrease the weight slightly.
                    After some use I probably won't temporarily fasten the top shelf to the walker with Velcro (shelf tipage was not an issue, at least with the stove in place).
                    I should modify the stove for a rear facing gas inlet (or get a new one), the current gas hose location was in the way.
                    I definitely need (to make) a large tool (spatulas, tongs etc.) storage drawer and the middle shelf needs some sort of drawer/tote guides.

Although projects like these often seem to continue (with modifications and changes) indefinitely, I'm going to call this one a success.

Enjoy!
                    You've really worked outside the box in making this camp kitchen; simply ingenious and with such an easy to find base!
                    How did the smaller than you desire sink work as far as stability? Would a more rigid plastic be a better answer even though it doesn't collapse with ease?
                    Ahhhhhh the propane stove placement dilemma; annoying but yes a part of RL. I'm left handed so many things are some sort of challenge for me. I like to keep my oversized kitchen utensils in plain sight as they are easier to find and use.
                    Still thinking of more possibilities of placement of the utensils.
                    2017:

Comment

You've really worked outside the box in making this camp kitchen; simply ingenious and with such an easy to find base!
                      How did the smaller than you desire sink work as far as stability? Would a more rigid plastic be a better answer even though it doesn't collapse with ease?
                      Ahhhhhh the propane stove placement dilemma; annoying but yes a part of RL. I'm left handed so many things are some sort of challenge for me. I like to keep my oversized kitchen utensils in plain sight as they are easier to find and use.
                      Still thinking of more possibilities of placement of the utensils.
                      I like being outside the box... any more things just seem to come together that way, as often as not...

The bowl/sink being supported by its top edge was/is as stable as it can get & worked well for doing silverware, cups and even half/3/4 a plate at a time; not so good with fry pans though I ended up cleaning these as I did in the pre-sink days (wipe out, fill part way with water, a drip of soap, then heat scrub rinse and dry).
                      I want to stay with a collapsible tub/bowl for compact storage & transport, this one fits neatly into one of the tote drawers (happenstance, not planning).
                      Another happy, though planned, thing is a custom cut Lexan cutting board fits well over the brown Rubbermaid tableware organizer (and keeps the table ware from getting mixed up even if the tote is turned upside down.

When I get the time I will probably get a replacement one pound propane bottle supply tube for the stove and fabricate something that screws into the standard location then turn down and follows the side of the stove to the back where it will have a swivel connection capable of turning down; or maybe I will just fit a swivel connection to the stove inlet and run the hose along the side of the stove.

...Most other projects are now on hold until I get the "civilized" camping vehicle (new, old Ford explorer) sorted out and fit for extended trip/moderate off road use; I physically wrestle with it several hours per day until the garage gets too warm for comfortable work (or I start to get too frustrated)...
                      Transmission first; then enhancements...
                      likely replacement bucket seats next
                      On board 100+ amp hour ,deep discharge, secondary battery to power the portable fridge (eventually with solar charging).
                      possible traction control later...possibly a winch much later...
                      ...small/quickie fixit issues are addressed as larger issues start to become excessively frustrating, as a break that continues forward progress...

Enjoy!

(edit) Just noticed that I missed your utensils storage comment (too focused on the vehicle).
                      I will almost certainly fabricate a ~6" wide by 5 or 6" high large tool drawer for things like spatulas, tongs , A whisk, etc. (the large common cooking tools).
                      I'm not big on having tools hanging (just personal preference). The tote drawers are handy for both storage and transport so I will likely follow up in a similar style for the larger/bulkier tools, haven't found a tote that fits the remaining space yet so I will build something (simple box with a top)... after I get tired of getting beaten up by the vehicle...
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-03-2016, 05:37 AM.

Comment

If anyone is thinking of making their own version of a camp kitchen you may find this link useful for folding leg mechanisms:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#table-leg-brackets/=dcjqng
                        2017:

Comment

HJ, I like your relocated shelving and alternative of polycarbonate (why did I say plexiglas?) vs. my posting, now about 6 years old from RhinoDave's photos (with permission of course). The breakdown size isn't all that larger, and your wider tops are more functional.

Last edited by tplife; 06-10-2016, 02:16 PM.
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks, I used Lexan/polycarbonate (way better than plexi (acrylic), IMO; very difficult to crack or break) mostly because I have a relatively large pile that was drop (unusable pieces) from a sign shop that I used to work at.
                            The top size was determined by the piece of drop that I had & used.
                            Free is the best kinda price...

Enjoy!

Comment

If anyone is thinking of making their own version of a camp kitchen you may find this link useful for folding leg mechanisms:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#table-leg-brackets/=dcjqng
                              That put a big smile on my face... (Yeah - I'm easily amused.) I love that site! It's one of my top sites for "things".

Comment

Hi, I am Italian, and with my family and friends I am going to have a camping holiday in USA (Arizona) next August.
                                My question is this. We normally use campingaz equipment for cooking, which is small and light, good to carry in the backpack. This is it:
                                https://www.obelink.it/images/detailed/62/Campingaz_Camping_206S.jpg

We will not be allowed to bring the gas cartridges with us on the plane (obviously!), so we will have to buy them locally. But the question is: will we find them in USA? This kind of equipment is a typical European standard. Is it common also in USA, or we will have problems in buying the gas cartridges after our arrival in USA?
                                Thanks a lot for your help!
                                Stefano

Comment

Working...
                                X