DIY Camp Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: DIY Camp Kitchen

The more I camp with kiddos the more places I learn to hide the paper towels:oops:.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

People sure know how to complicate a simple task
      https://youtu.be/QTsXlTKaFq0

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
        LMAO!
        Yes but did you see the next vid with the auto TP dispenser made out of Legos?!
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
          I am going to try the toilet paper-2 liter dispenser (thinking 7-up, maybe Mountain Dew; for the green bottle), I have thought it a neat Idea for quite some time...
          Haven't found a bottle big enough to try it with paper towels though (didn't figure that paper towels would dispense from the inside of the roll without tearing, will try it next time I get a package of paper towels. What brand do you use?)... got any fotos?
          I expect that this kitchen project will be mostly used under a canopy so rain protection is not something that I have spent a lot of time considering...conventional backup (wringable) towels & wash cloths will be available.

For backpacking, don't do this much any more, I went microfiber on the towel.

Enjoy!

I used a water bottle for the toilet paper holder and we just purchased a one serving bottle of something like Gatorade for the paper towels. You only need enough of the bottle to tape a 2 gallon ziplock bag to it. It will hold a whole roll of Bounty.
          http://

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
            Who uses that much toilet paper?!?!
            “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
            – E. B. White

Comment

Thanx! Denni2...
              ...bought some Dew yesterday ... still looking for a BIG bottle to try your paper towel dispenser...

[Quote]Who uses that much toilet paper?!?! [Quote]

...well, I expect that some people have bigger...Umm.. needs.. than others...

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-21-2016, 06:46 AM.
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

The infamous collapsible bowl came in Saturday.
                Its a bit smaller than I wanted but it was the largest size available when I ordered it. It looks like it will work OK, since we have few dishes to wash camping.
                http://www.amazon.com/Shipao-Collaps...A12MUC8FUZCMGP

Need to get another section of EMT since the top shelf now measures roughly 48 x 18 inches.

need to fasten the center shelf stiffener to the shelf (drill and pop rivet).
                need to make tote-drawer guides and a roughly 6" wide equipment drawer for the second shelf.
                need to attach extruded aluminum angles to the bottom of the top shelf to locate it side to side.
                need to attach some Velcro straps to fasten the top shelf to the walker.
                need to trim (snag proof) the excess hose clamp ends.
                I'm going to try a wallymart round spring/fold up hamper for use as a wastebasket; ought to work ok with tall kitchen garbage bags.

Time is getting short for a Memorial weekend trial run...

Enjoy!
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-22-2016, 02:17 PM.
                2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

The infamous collapsible bowl came in Saturday.
                  Its a bit smaller than I wanted but it was the largest size available when I ordered it. It looks like it will work OK, since we have few dishes to wash camping.
                  http://www.amazon.com/Shipao-Collaps...A12MUC8FUZCMGP

Need to get another section of EMT since the top shelf now measures roughly 48 x 18 inches.

need to fasten the center shelf stiffener to the shelf (drill and pop rivet).
                  need to make tote-drawer guides and a roughly 6" wide equipment drawer for the second shelf.
                  need to attach extruded aluminum angles to the bottom of the top shelf to locate it side to side.
                  need to attach some Velcro straps to fasten the top shelf to the walker.
                  need to trim (snag proof) the excess hose clamp ends.
                  I'm going to try a wallymart round spring/fold up hamper for use as a wastebasket; ought to work ok with tall kitchen garbage bags.

Time is getting short for a Memorial weekend trial run...

Enjoy!
                  Suggestion on the existing dish tub....check and see if whatever size dishes and pots will fit with ease. As long as the bottom or side of a pot fits in you'll be fine.
                  Yeah I think you'll be in the zone before pack up time comes next time.
                  2017:

Comment

Since I use medium square plates, they pack better and can hold as much as larger round plates (if you use the corners); they will wash fine.
                    Pots are not a biggie; put some water in and heat on the stove/fire with soap.... they kind of provide their own sink as long as the outside doesn't get too crusty (more of an issue cooking over a campfire, than a propane stove).

If all else fails and I need a Large tub the bottom of the missile container or a tote will serve.

I wanted this tub (and may get it if it comes back into stock);
                    http://www.amazon.com/Southern-Homew...lapsible+basin

I got another 10 feet of EMT to stiffen the top shelf this morning... all of $2.48.

After the first pass on this project the next (mini) project will likely be brackets to get the solar garden lights off the ground and attached to the canopy legs...

Enjoy!

Comment

Since I use medium square plates, they pack better and can hold as much as larger round plates (if you use the corners); they will wash fine.

Enjoy!
                      Another happy square plate user. Not that I wash dishes personally (that's why I camp with "mini lackeys" doncha know?:he but I too find they fit better with less underutilised space.
                      Solar lights, eh?!
                      Go on with yer bad self:glasses:
                      2017:

Comment

Yep!
                        Solar garden lights (way cheap on sale at the end of last summer at Harbor freight).
                        Light + hanging plant bracket =
                        a (pair of) lights to attach to the legs of the canopy , an upright tent pole or even a tree (with a strap ), they are dim but do help prevent stumbles...

Enjoy!

P.S. the brackets also work well for lanterns (probably should bend more of a hook into the end curl)...
                        (edit): got distracted yesterday...
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-24-2016, 07:15 AM.

Comment

...the next (mini) project will likely be brackets to get the solar garden lights off the ground and attached to the canopy legs...
                          You don't get brackets - you make brackets. Coat hangers and Visegrips!
                          To get real fancy, you coat them with PlastiDip.

Edit: Seems I replied to an earlier post. One more purchase like that and I'll bring you up on charges at the next DIYer's meeting! LOL
                          Last edited by MacGyver; 05-24-2016, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Excuses;
                            Well My iron mongery tools are in deep storage and I didn't have any charcoal for the forge...
                            Welding coat hangers together to get flat bar is a PITA...
                            Heating up the powder coating oven takes too long (not a lot of smell but its there)..

2-brackets $4 ea @Lowes + 5/16 drill bit (in stock) + hose clamps (2/ a couple of bucks @ Lowes) + 2- 5/16 x 3/4" bolts (existing stock trimmed to length) and 4 nuts (they are a hand press fit into the H/F plastic lamp base connector)... and there you go a mini project complete.

.. and I got to confuse a "helpful" lowes employee who was determined to help but couldn't figure out the project...

Enjoy!

"deep storage" is when the pile on top gets more than a couple of feet deep...
                            Last edited by Happy Joe; 05-24-2016, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Excuses;
                              Well My iron mongery tools are in deep storage and I didn't have any charcoal for the forge...
                              Heating up the powder coating oven takes too long (not a lot of smell but its there)..

2-brackets $4 ea @Lowes + 5/16 drill bit (in stock) + hose clamps (2/ a couple of bucks @ Lowes) + 2- 5/16 x 3/4" bolts (existing stock trimmed to length) and 4 nuts (they are a hand press fit into the H/F plastic lamp base connector)... and there you go a mini project complete.

.. and I got to confuse a "helpful" lowes employee who was determined to help but couldn't figure out the project...

Enjoy!

Yes well there IS the possibility I posted this song before but but it's just apropos fer a certain age group what I weally don't belong to. Learned this song at my grandmother's knees. Honestly.< insert innocent blinking eyes emoticon here>

https://youtu.be/b-hU9AYfkUs
                              2017:

Comment

Excuses;

Enjoy!

Judges say that you are not using these items in the way they were intended so you get a pass.
                                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                                – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
                                X