Tent stakes ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent stakes ?

I purchased the Big Agnes Tensleep 6 person tent. I never use the stakes that come with a tent. I purchased the plastic orange stakes (same as the yellow ones). However, I am afraid at some locations these may be difficult for me to pound in the ground. I was wondering if the "dimensional" metal ones that Walmart carries would be a good option. I have heard that the "nail" type ones are usually not a good choice. I am a female senior & will be pitching my tent myself, so I need to find what will work best for me but also keep my tent secure.
    Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Re: Tent stakes ?

I use Monk Industries 10" tarp stakes......Work good for me. I have some of there forged head tent stakes but seem over kill to me.
    Jack
    Thrift store tent
    Marmot Tungsten 4p

Comment

I am a female senior (and with puny muscles). I prefer these. They are the easiest for me to take out of the ground as I can loop something around it to give me more pulling power. I can also see them to take them out at the end of the trip, too

My Walmart has them in a bin in the camping department for less than a buck each.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-10...iews_limit=10&
      Last edited by actad; 05-13-2016, 07:39 PM.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

If you would consider carrying a cordless drill or cordless screwdriver on your trips, you might like what I came up with after years of aching from old knees and a bad back.

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...highlight=spax

Those bolts with fender washers make some seriously easy in, easy out stakes. They grip better and work in rocky and compacted clay soil unlike any stake I'd ever pounded in.

I'll add to that post by saying that most tents don't need heavy bolts like I do for my canvas tent. Last trip out, I took a 4 person nylon dome and used 5/16ths bolts and probably could have used 1/4 inch. I didn't even need the 18 volt drill - used a small 12 volt cordless screwdriver and still had no problem.
        Last edited by MacGyver; 05-13-2016, 08:33 PM.

Comment

There was a comparison done on BPL a while back under controlled conditions. The aluminum 3-bladed stakes (such as one can buy at WM) are the best performers. Long nail stakes came in behind them but still do quite well. IME the plastic stakes are too hard to work with in rocky ground, or on gravel camping pads.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Thank you everyone. You gave me great options! I actually just picked up some of the aluminum 3-bladed stakes at Walmart. Hopefully, I will have all my bases covered with one of the three types I have now.
            Hope to camp in my new Columbia Fall River 8 Instant Tent in 2017

Comment

Originally posted by CampinLady View Post
              I purchased the Big Agnes Tensleep 6 person tent. I never use the stakes that come with a tent. I purchased the plastic orange stakes (same as the yellow ones). However, I am afraid at some locations these may be difficult for me to pound in the ground. I was wondering if the "dimensional" metal ones that Walmart carries would be a good option. I have heard that the "nail" type ones are usually not a good choice. I am a female senior & will be pitching my tent myself, so I need to find what will work best for me but also keep my tent secure.
              I think the type of soil conditions make a difference as to what stakes work best in any situation but have also noticed some of the same problems with the the ones that come with most tents. The "L" shaped ones are great in high winds IF they don't bend, LOL

I used to be a fan of the plastic (think I have a mixture of yellow and orange ones) stakes but despite the high visibility found the guyline hook ends broke off w/ too much regularity.

Now I use the metal "V" shaped stakes with great success.

To remove and place tent stakes I use a rubber mallet that has a...glavanized steel hook screw(?) in the center of the wooden end. Had to buy one at the hardware store to replace the puny version the mallet came with.

My problem with the nail type stakes is the plastic heads tend to loosen.
              2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
              Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I had a random collection of different types of aluminum stakes that kept bending and breaking in rocky ground. Then tried the 10" nail type stakes with the plastic heads but didn't like the weakness of the plastic heads. Finally ended up with Snow Peak 12" forged steel stakes. A little heavy but they are plenty strong. I look at them as a long-term investment, usable with any present or future tent.
                Last edited by Fred; 05-15-2016, 05:51 PM.

Comment

If you want to stay with stakes, the cheapest, most durable option I've come up with are the landscape spikes you can get at any big box hardware store. Add a fender washer and you're done.

Comment

I've used the ones actad provided the link for they work ok ,like someone said the plastic top is the weak link, I wound up making my own out of rebar

Comment

I just use the giant spikes that you can find for a buck. If I ever cant get them out I will just leave them in and pound them into the ground. No big loss.
                      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                      – E. B. White

Comment

If you have the big nails with the plastic tops you have discovered the plastic breaks or loosens and won't hold after a few uses. It just dawned on me that you can do like MacGyver and add fender washers to the nails. Tie your guys under the washers and they will be secure. Also, the washers should give you more surface to grab when you pull the stakes.

Comment

You all are reminding me it's time to check my guylines, the fasteners and stakes. The things ya do for love.
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            If you want to stay with stakes, the cheapest, most durable option I've come up with are the landscape spikes you can get at any big box hardware store. Add a fender washer and you're done.
                            This is genius. I'm going to have to give this a go this summer for sure.
                            Nights outside so far 2016: 19

Comment

as i know,there are two kinds of tent stakes, one is the pointed end as picture1,this is suitable for the hard ground.Another is the snow nail as picture 2,this is suitable for the soft place as snow and sand, it should be depended on your demand. hope this can help with youClick image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	70596Click image for larger version

Name:	6193qINptXL._SL1000_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	70597

Comment

Working...
                              X