Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self Feeding Fire

http://www.goodshomedesign.com/self-...14-hours-plus/

I had never seen this before. The article has a video of a guy using one. Burns for a long time and even through a rainstorm that he said dropped 1.25" of rain.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Re: Self Feeding Fire

been seeing a few of such pics around
    think i may try it one day, to keep the fire going through out the night

Comment

Really smart and could maybe make the blacksmith happy:D.
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Cool idea. I might give this a backyard try over Memorial Day weekend.
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Very clever indeed!

Comment

Looks awesome but dangerous. Wouldn't want the be fiddling around at the bottom trying to light it and have the stack roll down on me. Might have to try in the backyard first.

Comment

Anyone that tries this please post the results. I an very curious as to hard it is to set up.
              “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
              – E. B. White

Comment

Gotta say, I've some doubts about this setup. The nature of Fire seems to indicate a cpl of concerns...specifically Wind issues & the tendency of Fire to both Grow & Climb if fuel and air allow.
                Unless there was a lack of wind I can't see it remaining a 'Smoldering' fire vs a Blaze...even then you'd think it'd climb right up both sides...I dunno. I don't do many fires anymore but when I do I enjoy tending em.

Comment

Originally posted by cunningman View Post
                  Gotta say, I've some doubts about this setup. The nature of Fire seems to indicate a cpl of concerns...specifically Wind issues & the tendency of Fire to both Grow & Climb if fuel and air allow.
                  Unless there was a lack of wind I can't see it remaining a 'Smoldering' fire vs a Blaze...even then you'd think it'd climb right up both sides...I dunno. I don't do many fires anymore but when I do I enjoy tending em.
                  The way the guy explained it in the video was that the air was blocked off from the back of the logs so the fire can't go that route. And since the logs are set back at an angle the flames would have to work pretty hard to catch through the top. He had it going in a storm (presumably it was windy) and didn't have a problem.
                  – E. B. White

Comment

It seems to be a doubling of the self feeding fire that was used by Kephart and Nessmuk in the early 1900's (and likely was old then).
                    If I recall their references correctly its purpose was to keep the lean to warm through the night with out having to get up and throw another log on the coals.

My biggest issue is getting people/friends to not build a blaze then go to bed (leaving me to put it out)... unattended fires are illegal in Colorado.

...there seems to be very little that is truly new under the sun...

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-30-2016, 06:54 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Yeah, I could be way wrong James. It has occurred in the past!!! It may be nice if you had a permanent place for it...itd be difficult to transport I expect. That's the beauty of camping for me, use whatever works for ya.

Comment

Working...
                      X