Does anyone use a camp kitchen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone use a camp kitchen?

I found one at bass pro shop that was 139.00 and the reviews were pretty good. I also found the Grub Hub but it is pricey and bulky I don't know if I have enough room in my car. So all ideas would be appreciated

Re: Does anyone use a camp kitchen?

We found this one years ago, and have enjoyed having it. It normally has a top shelf, that a stove sets on, but, holds our oven/stove combo perfectly.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by debx77 View Post
      I found one at bass pro shop that was 139.00 and the reviews were pretty good. I also found the Grub Hub but it is pricey and bulky I don't know if I have enough room in my car. So all ideas would be appreciated
      Is it this one?

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...duct/10219457/

Originally posted by astrowolf67 View Post
      We found this one years ago, and have enjoyed having it. It normally has a top shelf, that a stove sets on, but, holds our oven/stove combo perfectly.
      astro- is the back of the middle section metal or metal lined?
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Oh and yes I do use a camp kitchen and it truly simplifies my life when camping in one spot for an extended time say at least a week or when it's a large party of campers on shorter trips. It's called a Cabela deluxe kitchen.

Here it is in action:

Weak points? Weight; only suitable for base camping which is why I'm looking for a different system for the RV what I don't want to cook in much. Formica covered counter tops are rather flimsy although easy to repair. Takes a bit of space in the vehicle.

Strong points: Organisation, organisation, organisation. My system has 2 pantries under the tables . I've learned to use one as storage for food stuff(3 shelves in each unit) and the other for kiddo snacks and over sized pastimes like board games, playing cards and artists' supplies. Kids can always go in one but never the other. Great 2 way zippers on the pantries and strong easy to clean fabric. With maximum counter-space I can afford to be messy until after a meal is done. Can also delegate kitchen duties to more than one person with ease. This system has a kitchen sink that I can use if I remove the center table but since where I camp with large groups normally has a centrally located utility sink I just use the portable sink for cooling melons, LOL.
        Hooks for hanging kitchen garbage, paper towels, dish towels and lamps although I'll be honest, we pretty much always eat before the sun goes down to avoid "klutzy" cleanup. Still the lamp hooks are useful during bad weather when the kitchen tent is used as a L/R.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-27-2016, 05:09 AM.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

How are your wood working skills? Some of us have made our own. That way you get exactly what you need/want.
          “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
          – E. B. White

Comment

Have you look on ebay lots of different camp kitchens

Comment

Absolutely zilch lol

Comment

My brother has a store baught one. I dont think he uses it any more but I could be wrong. I know that I would miss mine something fierce if it disappeared.
                “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
                – E. B. White

Comment

Absolutely zilch lol

This version has been discussed in the past. It's no longer in production but there seems to be a nice sales history on Ebay:

Dosko CampMate Portable Camp Kitchen

I'm seriously thinking of dropping the bucks to acquire one and just modify it to fit my specific needs. Also thinking of having the box custom made of some sort of galvanized s/s and then outfitting it with coroplast and store bought plastic organizers.

Oh and what mods would I like to see done on a Dosko like camp kitchen? Different paper towel holder perhaps. Already tried a vertical holder at home and despised it. 'Course a bungee cord could always be utilized whether horizontally or vertically...

More and stronger counter space; some reviews say the hinged plastic is prone to breakage. I can envision side flaps adding to counter tops.
                  2017:

Comment

If it is just me, cans of soup, some packets of instant oatmeal, teabags, and my little Biolite stove with the grill and kettle accessories is great. Add a few apples/bananas/oranges and I am good for the duration. Everything food related fits inside a vintage cooler & vintage locking coffee canister. I just picked up a matching green plaid vintage picnic basket for storing cooking gear.

If camping entails a camp kitchen, we are likely in the travel trailer with inside storage, reefer, and a pantry. Still use the Coleman stove and a campfire to cook, but the rest lives inside until needed.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by actad; 04-27-2016, 07:02 PM.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Is reefer legal in Virginia?
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Because they are bulky and heavy I don't use a camp kitchen;
                        However a couple of TV trays pack in the vehicles pretty well and have multiple uses including supporting the stove cutting board etc. (when not using a tailgate).
                        The Coleman 2 burner is packed separately if needed but most stuff fits in the cooking box(missile container).

(edit); We have found that planning the menu well results in minimal cooking/cleanup (& cooking is often over campfire coals).
                        Breakfast sweet rolls and/or eggs hash browns and bacon, sometimes pancakes, or cereal.
                        Lunch; quick picnic items like cold fried chicken (first day)/sandwiches & chips, potato salad, macaroni salad etc.
                        Supper, typically a variation on backyard grill food; prenuked baked taters (reheated in the campfire coals) burgers, steaks etc. grilled over the coals.

Enjoy!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-29-2016, 07:33 AM.
                        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                          Is reefer legal in Virginia?
                          Two ex-appliance salespeople in our household - DH & me. Common slang term for a refrigerator when we were selling them in the 80's at the now defunct Montgomery Wards. I am sure the double entendre for the other kind of reefer was intentional back in the day. It was a soul-sucking job, but I did meet my husband there.

To somewhat get back on topic - camping products were sold in the next aisle. Who else remembers the cool little doll house size display tents on top of the fixtures? And, all those Coleman stoves on display would be vintage ones today (sigh).
                          Last edited by actad; 04-29-2016, 07:35 AM.
                          - Laura
                          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                            Two ex-appliance salespeople in our household - DH & me. Common slang term for a refrigerator when we were selling them in the 80's at the now defunct Montgomery Wards. I am sure the double entendre for the other kind of reefer was intentional back in the day. It was a soul-sucking job, but I did meet my husband there.

To somewhat get back on topic - camping products were sold in the next aisle. Who else remembers the cool little doll house size display tents on top of the fixtures? And, all those Coleman stoves on display would be vintage ones today (sigh).
                            My wife always wanted one of those tiny tents for her dog.
                            – E. B. White

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
                              And, all those Coleman stoves on display would be vintage ones today (sigh).
                              The Coleman stove I have dates from the '70's and I sought it out purposefully remembering how easy it was to use.
                              The amount of maintenance it needs is minimal and parts aren't hard to get when needed. Easy to get via CL and garage sales.

Still, I find that I only use it nowadays for boiling water and when day or overnight guests join us and we do a paella or clambake type meal. Of late the fire pit/grill has been doing well as a sole cooking source on short trips. Oh but wait that's not really true cuz there's the Webers as well...
                              Errrrrr I have a hard time downsizing sometimes.
                              2017:

Comment

Working...
                              X