Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: No Heat Needed Recipes

Originally posted by Shortpants View Post
    On the topic of chef salads, I have a dill dressing that I made up many years ago on a whim and has become my favorite, especially on chef salads! Please pardon the lack of exact measurements as I am a "wing it" kind of cook, so I tried to ballpark the amounts. This can be made thinner consistency for a dressing or thicker for a dip, like for sliced veg or chips.

Dill Dressing/Dip:

Mayonnaise - about a half a cup or so (I use Hellmann's)
    Salt and pepper - to taste (I use a shake or two)
    Garlic and/or Onion Powder - to taste (again, a shake or two of each. I've used one, or both, or none, and it still tastes yummy)
    Dill, dried or fresh - copious amounts (I happen to LOVE dill, so in a half cup of mayo I will use 2-3 TBS. If using fresh dill, chop it finely)
    White Vinegar - add to desired consistency (when I'm making it as a dip, I'll add 1-3 TBS, when it's a dressing I'll add more so it is a pouring consistency)

Just mix everything together and serve. I actually usually make it in a smaller mason jar or plastic container and just shake it well, until everything is combined. It does store well in the fridge or cooler, just needs a shake before serving to re-combine everything.

I also like this dressing because our oldest is lactose intolerant, but prefers creamy dressings, so this fits the bill, she loves it, and no dairy!
    You answered a thunk I've been mulling around in my mind: an easy to make all purpose creamy dressing! And it so happens I've dried dill on hand that'll be expiring before the summer is out. Alllllllll good!:glasses:.

Here's an oil and vinegar dressing I make that works nicely on salad and grilled meats that also utilises a glass jar for mixing and gets me to forgetting to bring the whisk:

·To make a Mediterranean vinaigrette for chicken , whisk together 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, 1 minced large garlic clove, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt, then add 1/3 cup olive oil in a slow stream, whisking.
    PS- it can be difficult for me to not indulge in all sorts of camp kitchen gear but pouring the dressing's ingredients and into a glass jar and shaking works just as well as a whisk and has the added bonus of one less thing to wash.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-31-2016, 07:18 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Especially for back packers but good for all is a meal made of hard salami and cheese (they last longer un-refrigerated); cherry or grape tomatoes, a cuke, and salad greens, the darker the more nutritious. Add bread of your choice and you have a meal.
      Have the space? Add olives and/or marinated artichokes from a jar.
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Cereal for breakfast, lunch and dinner? :yipi:

Comment

Gagh. Best served cold. Like revenge.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

A backpacker's favorite, Peanut Butter. Needs no refrigeration either. Same with Maple Syrup.
            Mixed together, they make a gooey sweet dessert.
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

ok, I have a question concerning no bake cookie recipes...why is it the only ones I can find all use basically the same three ingredients...PB, oatmeal and chocolate? there's got to be other ingredients that can be combined to make something
              edible...any thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by TNONMYMIND View Post
                ok, I have a question concerning no bake cookie recipes...why is it the only ones I can find all use basically the same three ingredients...PB, oatmeal and chocolate? there's got to be other ingredients that can be combined to make something
                edible...any thoughts?
                Why not add nuts or dried fruit? Or how about doing a riff on Rice Krispies treats and use them as a sub for oatmeal? How about adding smashed peppermint to either style if yer in a Christmas frame o mind?
                2017:

Comment

I think most no bake cookie recipe are basically refrigerator bars; in addition to dried fruits and (not sugar coated) breakfast cereals, granola can sometimes sub for oatmeal ...
                  What goes in is limited mostly by what you have, that looks tasty/chewy/sweet/sometimes salty...cutting up larger chunks of dried fruit is usually a good idea; record make a written note of all new recipes as you make them up, or you may never be able to make it quite right again.
                  ... figuring out what is crumble resistant is some times sweet...

Enjoy!
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Working...
                  X