No Heat Needed Recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Heat Needed Recipes

A cybergrrl friend o' mine posted this recipe and I'm so adding it to my camping menu:

Strawberry and Avocado Salsa - serves 4

Ingredients

1 cup finely chopped strawberries

1/4 cup finely chopped peeled avocado

2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion

2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro

1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind

2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 teaspoons finely chopped seeded jalapeño pepper

1/4 teaspoon sugar

Preparation

1. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl; toss gently. Serve immediately
    Sounds like it would be yummy with grilled meats, hot or cold, wrapped in thin tortillas or as a side dish.

Go ahead and add your own no heat needed dishes for any time of the day.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: No Heat Needed Recipes

Here's my standard:

Take 2 slices of bread (nutty style works the best, but fiber, oats, wheat, white will work);
    On 1 slice, spread JIF creamy peanut butter (if you need healthy, you can use JIF Simply Peanut Butter);
    ***IMPORTANT STEP DO NOT MISS: knife out a second glob of peanut butter and put it in your mouth***
    While eating the peanut butter, on the 2nd slice, spread strawberry jelly (you can substitute berry preserves or jam but NO GRAPE JELLY);
    Place the slices together, dry sides out
    May be cut in halves, quarters, or diagonals as desired; may cut off crusts

Best eaten with a big glass of milk. Works great for any meal.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

^^^^^
      Hehehe...gotta love the important step notice.

Serve this as part of a meat cheese platter with some nice bread. Or over salad greens. Any way ya do it it can make a nice midday or evening meal:

Ingredients

As written recipe serves 8 so scale up or down as you like

• ½ c. olive oil
      • ½ c. white wine vinegar
      • 3 tbsp. Parsley
      • 3 tbsp. green onions
      • 1 tsp. sugar
      • ¾ tsp. basil
      • ½ tsp. salt
      • 1/2 tsp. Pepper
      • 3 clove garlic
      • 1 jar pimiento
      • 1 block Cheddar cheese
      • 1 oz. cream cheese

Directions

• Combine first 10 ingredients in a jar, cover tightly and shake vigorously to combine. Set marinade aside.
      • Cut block of Cheddar cheese in half lengthwise. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices; set aside. Using a knife dipped in very hot water and wiped dry in between slices, cut the cream cheese into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
      • Arrange cheese slices alternately in a shallow baking dish, standing slices on edges. Pour the marinade over the cheese slices. Cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
      • Transfer cheese slices to a serving platter in the same alternating fashion, reserving marinade. Spoon marinade over cheese slices. Use cheese forks; serve with assorted crackers.

Don't feel like bothering with the cream cheese? Omit w/ impunity. I've been known to add olives, use roasted peppers instead of pimentos and add roasted celery too. At our nightly fire pit I often roast veggies and/or garlic cloves and heads on the side which simplifies life for the next day. Just remember, foil, is you friend with a bit of your fav oil.
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I like that one - most of my favorite things all in one. If you could incorporate mashed potatoes and pancakes, it'd be perfect.

Yeah, that one step is vital.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          I like that one - most of my favorite things all in one. If you could incorporate mashed potatoes and pancakes, it'd be perfect.

Yeah, that one step is vital.
          Well if ya already made the mashed taters or just used instant and water, why U'd be fine. As for the pancakes wait for the park to have a pancake fundraiser. I do that frequently.......

Another possibility what I haven't tried since I buy steel cut oats normally but it reads well:

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/reci...rnight-oatmeal

For steel cut oatmeal I just make a batch at home and then freeze. I still heat it the next morning but have found the night's embers in the firepit generally means I don't need to start a new fire.
          2017:

Comment

Here's my standard:

Take 2 slices of bread (nutty style works the best, but fiber, oats, wheat, white will work);
            On 1 slice, spread JIF creamy peanut butter (if you need healthy, you can use JIF Simply Peanut Butter);
            ***IMPORTANT STEP DO NOT MISS: knife out a second glob of peanut butter and put it in your mouth***
            While eating the peanut butter, on the 2nd slice, spread strawberry jelly (you can substitute berry preserves or jam but NO GRAPE JELLY);
            Place the slices together, dry sides out
            May be cut in halves, quarters, or diagonals as desired; may cut off crusts

Best eaten with a big glass of milk. Works great for any meal.

What if we LIKE grape jelly? :-)
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

NO GRAPE JELLY);
              Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
              See now youse are making me think about the A+P grape jelly and American cheese sammies I used to eat as child. The stain the jelly made on the cheese several hours after it was made and eaten in the school's auditorium is stuck in ma brain.........
              Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-04-2016, 06:09 PM.
              2017:

Comment

Here's my standard:
                That's really funny. I almost posted the PBJ last night.
                GOOD CALL,TT!

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                  Grapes = GOOD

Grape flavored anything = EVIL

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                    That's really funny. I almost posted the PBJ last night.
                    GOOD CALL,TT!
                    :he:

Comment

...and now a word from our sponsor....:lol:
                      Niçoise Tuna Salad Wrap

Wendy Hess, R.D. Self February 2007 4 wraps

Ingredients

• 4 eggs, hard-boiled and sliced (buy them boiled and vac packed or DIY)
                        • 1 can tuna packed in olive oil, lightly drained
                        • 1 fast food packet of your fav fast food salad dressing per tortilla
                        • 8 cherry tomatoes, halved or use sun dried
                        • 8 Niçoise olives (or whatever olives float yer boat)
                        • 4 whole-wheat tortillas
                        • 6 ounces (about 3 cups) mixed salad greens, finely chopped
                        • 1 small bag of potato chips (about 20 chips)

Preparation

• Gently break apart tuna in a bowl. Add salad dressing, tomatoes and olives. Put 1/4 tuna mixture, 1/4 greens and 1/4 of egg slices on each tortilla. Tightly fold first third of tortilla over mixture, fold in ends and continue to roll over tightly. Serve with chips on the side.

Or just add the chips into the wrap.....
                      2017:

Comment

Chickpea Salad

1 can Chickpeas (Garbonzo Beans)- mashed

1 avocado - mashed

1 small tomato - chopped

Cumin to taste

Romaine lettuce

Cilantro (Optional)

Mix all together but lettuce, wrap in tortillas with lettuce or eat as dip with chips.

Comment

QUOTE=Denni2;42984]Chickpea Salad

1 can Chickpeas (Garbonzo Beans)- mashed

1 avocado - mashed

1 small tomato - chopped

Cumin to taste

Romaine lettuce

Cilantro (Optional)

Mix all together but lettuce, wrap in tortillas with lettuce or eat as dip with chips.[/QUOTE]

Reads tasty! I have a manual blender that chullins clamor to operate so will definitely give this a try in the field. I know they like hummus (fight over it in the car even though I buy them individual packets; let's face it they'll bicker 'bout anything given half the chance) so that's good thing.

Here's a dip or cold soup that's another winner on this end:

hilled Avocado Soup
                          by Zabar's Chef Andrew Regnier Serves 4-6 people.
                          Ingredients
                          4 ripe avocados
                          1 red onion
                          10 cloves roasted garlic
                          46 oz chicken broth
                          3 oz lime juice
                          32 oz plain yogurt
                          1/4 cup cilantro
                          2 medium roasted red peppers
                          3 ears roasted sweet corn (1 lb frozen)
                          1/4 tsp salt (to taste)
                          1/4 tsp chili powder (just enough to give a hint of chili)
                          Preparation
                          Core and halve the red bell peppers. Roast them in a 400 degree oven with the corn and garlic they give a little to the touch. Keep each item separate. Chill in refrigerator.
                          Begin building your soup by pureeing the avocados, onion, roasted garlic, cilantro, lime juice and enough chicken broth to allow your blender to do its job.
                          Combine in a large bowl the pureed mixture with the rest of the Chicken Broth, yogurt, chili powder and salt. Cut the roasted pepper in a small dice and add with the corn.
                          We add the pepper and corn for texture, but you can easily purée everything and have a delicious pureed soup.
                          Adjust the chili powder and salt to your taste. I enjoy just a hint of chili powder as a background note to this summer delight.

A faster version of the above?

Use jarred roast peppers, or roast the peppers at the edge of your firepit with some corn ears OR use corn salsa to replace the peppers, tomatoes as well as corn. In the refrigerated section of the produce aisle you'll find pre mashed avocado.
                          2017:

Comment

A classic: chef's salad (youse don't need a recipe, right?), served in a dish or rolled in a wrap.
                            2017:

Comment

On the topic of chef salads, I have a dill dressing that I made up many years ago on a whim and has become my favorite, especially on chef salads! Please pardon the lack of exact measurements as I am a "wing it" kind of cook, so I tried to ballpark the amounts. This can be made thinner consistency for a dressing or thicker for a dip, like for sliced veg or chips.

Dill Dressing/Dip:

Mayonnaise - about a half a cup or so (I use Hellmann's)
                              Salt and pepper - to taste (I use a shake or two)
                              Garlic and/or Onion Powder - to taste (again, a shake or two of each. I've used one, or both, or none, and it still tastes yummy)
                              Dill, dried or fresh - copious amounts (I happen to LOVE dill, so in a half cup of mayo I will use 2-3 TBS. If using fresh dill, chop it finely)
                              White Vinegar - add to desired consistency (when I'm making it as a dip, I'll add 1-3 TBS, when it's a dressing I'll add more so it is a pouring consistency)

Just mix everything together and serve. I actually usually make it in a smaller mason jar or plastic container and just shake it well, until everything is combined. It does store well in the fridge or cooler, just needs a shake before serving to re-combine everything.

I also like this dressing because our oldest is lactose intolerant, but prefers creamy dressings, so this fits the bill, she loves it, and no dairy!
                              Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

Working...
                              X