VENT: Long Waiting Time for Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: VENT: Long Waiting Time for Trailer

I like my TT. It is big enough at 18ft, to be comfortable inside for two people and our gear, but not so big that I may as well be at home.

It is small enough to tow well without any weight distribution or anti-sway hitches, and we tow with the half ton truck we use every day.

No slides so, we have minimal setup after any leveling that might need to be done. Most COE and State Park campsites around us are already fairly level. It seems that private campgrounds need more leveling.

Much of our camping is done at sites with electric and water - add those two things, turn a switch for the hot water tank, and we are ready to watch a sunset.

If at a dispersed camping site, we just fill the water tanks on the way. WV rest stops have potable water and sewer stations and we are fortunate to live off an exit with nearby rest areas north and south.

I like both tent camping ant TT camping. Just as I have different tents for different camping experiences, the TT adds another dimension. My husband has health issues which make tenting difficult, so he is more comfortable in a TT. Setup time is about the same for TT or tent, but with a TT, gear is already stowed so it actually is faster to be ready to camp.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by actad; 04-02-2016, 08:30 AM.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Well; in response to popular demand (the above post was a disguised suggestion to NYCgrrl, to consider renting before purchase of a temporary trailer).
      In another and much younger life we listened to many opinions about the joys of traveling with a trailer but before stretching the budget for an actual purchase we figured that we should try it before spending the money for purchase and committing to the expense/hassles of upkeep and storage.
      We ended up renting a quite nice 16-18 foot TT and pulled it with a land barge/rolling living room (Chrysler Imperial); hauling the trailer was not stress free and significantly impacted the fuel mileage.
      All went pretty well in terms of the trailer although the trailer parks were a letdown from expectations, more from a few of the people that tended to use them than the facilities.;, the prices per night were not much better than motel prices.
      We ended up doing the standard Laundromat thing, often in park, for cleaning clothing, as we would have if staying at motels.
      We were very limited as to where we could stay, needing a road but did get in a little light day hiking (mostly to get away from the trailer parks).

We did meet our goal of seeing the tourist traps and black hills, though all in all, it was not a particularly laid back nor restful experience and we were glad to say goodbye to the trailer.
      We have since found more joy off road, the farther the better, than on and highways are something that must be endured to get to the good times; far from the madding crowd(s).

After procuring our first Jeep we found remote primitive tent camping a much better match for us, few crowds, easy & quick setup/breakdown, no tourist traps, no trailer park slums, great access to unknown country.

I see that some consider that tent setup/breakdown a large effort; Our 9x9 dome takes (just me) 20 minutes or a bit less to set up completely, including unpacking all the stuff, and roughly a half hour to breakdown & pack/load without rushing or excessive effort; this is slightly better than most of our friends with pop up trailers (after pulling in I set up then help them set up, the same goes for breakdown). Our 12x12 tent takes about a half hour to setup and roughly 45 minutes to breakdown & load.
      Our friends with TTs, toy haulers and medium sized RVs don't have to unpack and repack, unless they bring toys, but have to get their living spaces through the trees and often level them, sometimes a bit quicker often not; and far from stress free. The road requirements for most trailers severely limit the choices of camping spots and often neighbors.

Its all good!... just pick your preference... and most of all;

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-02-2016, 09:26 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        Well; in response to popular demand (the above post was a disguised suggestion to NYCgrrl, to consider renting before purchase of a temporary trailer).
        In another and much younger life we listened to many opinions about the joys of traveling with a trailer but before stretching the budget for an actual purchase we figured that we should try it before spending the money for purchase and committing to the expense/hassles of upkeep and storage.
        We ended up renting a quite nice 16-18 foot TT and pulled it with a land barge/rolling living room (Chrysler Imperial); hauling the trailer was not stress free and significantly impacted the fuel mileage.
        All went pretty well in terms of the trailer although the trailer parks were a letdown from expectations, more from a few of the people that tended to use them than the facilities.;, the prices per night were not much better than motel prices.
        We ended up doing the standard Laundromat thing, often in park, for cleaning clothing, as we would have if staying at motels.
        We were very limited as to where we could stay, needing a road but did get in a little light day hiking (mostly to get away from the trailer parks).

We did meet our goal of seeing the tourist traps and black hills, though all in all, it was not a particularly laid back nor restful experience and we were glad to say goodbye to the trailer.
        We have since found more joy off road, the farther the better, than on and highways are something that must be endured to get to the good times; far from the madding crowd(s).

After procuring our first Jeep we found remote primitive tent camping a much better match for us, few crowds, easy & quick setup/breakdown, no tourist traps, no trailer park slums, great access to unknown country.

I see that some consider that tent setup/breakdown a large effort; Our 9x9 dome takes (just me) 20 minutes or a bit less to set up completely, including unpacking all the stuff, and roughly a half hour to breakdown & pack/load without rushing or excessive effort; this is slightly better than most of our friends with pop up trailers (after pulling in I set up then help them set up, the same goes for breakdown). Our 12x12 tent takes about a half hour to setup and roughly 45 minutes to breakdown & load.
        Our friends with TTs, toy haulers and medium sized RVs don't have to unpack and repack, unless they bring toys, but have to get their living spaces through the trees and often level them, sometimes a bit quicker often not; and far from stress free. The road requirements for most trailers severely limit the choices of camping spots and often neighbors.

Enjoy!
        Muahhhhhhh for the "thinly disguised but I still got it" thunk.:he:.

2 years back we rented a stay in place 30' Prowler BH as a birthday present for our DGD hereto known as the Princess. Think we did it over Labor Day weekend. In all honestly the only true interior amenity I was in wuvvvvvvv with was the refrigerator. Hated the kitchen layout and preferred to work on the site's picnic table. Oh but walking down the stairs to said picnic table to prep food annoyed me mightily as well.

For the first 2 nights we slept in our tent and gave the master B/R to another couple, only using the kitchen comunally. I insisted we sleep in that bedroom the last night (the other couple had gone home) so we could experience it. Found it stuffy and a tad too warm since the A/C was located in another room (think it was nearer the bunkhouse end).

Since I wasn't interested in cleaning or emptying the black or grey water tanks I discouraged everyone from using the bathroom since a perfectly clean and useful camp bathroom was close by. Mostly hand washing was utilised in the bthrm and it really was nice that there was a sink in the bthrm and another just outside it (not the kitchen sink) .

We never sat in the D/R area to eat since we preferred eating outdoors. I will say that the D/R's table made a nice counter space since the dedicated kit counter space didn't; pretty stingy.
        It drizzled one day and we enjoyed the outside space the exterior awning gave us.

Bottom line for that unit's layout for the adults? We dinna "feel" it and felt it would only get worsa the longer we used it on the road. Kiddos thought it was fine.

Fast forward to last year.

We rented a Safari Condo 1713R for 8 nights from Canada AM RV and mostly appropriate car.
        Hightailed it to Bonnechere Provincial Park (Canada's equivalent of a state park) and lounged around the waterfront for 7 nights taking in the the landscape and doing the RV paces thing thing. I set up our kitchen and picnic table close to the TT having learned how important this was w/ the Prowler.

The fact that there was less of an incline/staircase needed made it all better. Much much smaller fridge but I am a pretty good packer so all the pre-made food fit and the local fresh goods markets were fairly easy to get to on the way to the park. Thought about how food storage would go in less accommodating areas thus the freezer upgrade decision. Used the campgrounds bathroom facilities for most of the trip since this is really how we plan to use the RV which also helped us to decide that we preferred an outdoor shower when needed.
        Slept in a parking lot the last night just for the feel; prolly not our style unless it's a last choice on the road.

Oh and overall, this TT's amt of windows and retractable roof made us feel we weren't in a claustrophobic space. Also easy to clean which was important to the one who wuz gonna do most of it.

This TT's layout and size seemed to better fit our needs.
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 04-02-2016, 07:08 PM.
        2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
        Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

... so what you are saying is; like most things, some trailers fit some people better than others.

I can see that!

I also expect that a bit of experience will also selection of better quality campgrounds/parks (hopefully with better neighbors)...

Enjoy!
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

the Alto looks like a slick package but 2.5 years and all the moving parts i think i would be looking at the airstream Nest or some other newer looking light rig.

Comment

Yes, fuel mileage is going to hurt with any RV. It's one of those things you have to accept. And like you, I found towing the trailer to be more stressful than driving my clipper (class C) - not much different than driving my Durango.

Ah yes, RV parks are NOT campgrounds. RVers will try to tell you they are the same thing, but they are NOT. RV parks ARE pretty much motels - you just bring your own room. The spacing between rooms isn't much more than with motel rooms, the clientele is pretty much the same. To CAMP in your RV, you really have to go to traditional developed campgrounds (county, state, federal).

With my trailer (18.5ft) and my Durango, I could get into most of our national forest campgrounds. I did not try to go off road - I stuck to hard-packed dirt roads at minimum. I didn't try boondocking (RV lingo for dispersed camping - it does NOT mean overnighting at parking lots) with the trailer as I was just getting back into camping and getting the hang of things. Staying in real campgrounds meant there were hiking trails all around, as well as lakes, creeks, etc. No shopping malls nearby - no "let's go walk to the restaurant for dinner".

We did meet our goal of seeing the tourist traps and black hills, though all in all, it was not a particularly laid back nor restful experience and we were glad to say goodbye to the trailer. We have since found more joy off road, the farther the better, than on and highways are something that must be endured to get to the good times; far from the madding crowd(s).
              Sounds like your trip was a "RVing" trip rather than a "camping" trip. They are truly different things (regardless of what RVers will try to tell you). RVing is about seeing the tourist sites, socializing with other RVers, bringing all your comforts of home with you and being able to go out sightseeing during the day and coming home to your daily life (watching tv on the recliner, etc.). Camping is NOT about any of that. Camping is outdoors and getting away from your daily life. Knowing this difference will go a long way into having your expectations met.

The best RV for this is a truck and truck camper. With a 4x4 truck, you can get your camper most everywhere. The majority of truck camper owners do only boondocking (dispersed camping) in remote locations. A class B (conversion van) can also work well for this type of camping. For me, my clipper gives me as close to that as I really want - I can get into most national forest campgrounds and can easily set up a dispersed camping spot (although I haven't done that yet without a friend with another vehicle accompanying me - got my Durango stuck in a soft spot once and afraid to do it with the clipper).

With my trailer, it took me about 10-15 minutes to set up. With my clipper, it's 5 minutes top. Less to breakdown. Popups require about the same as tent camping - it's the reason a pop-up was never in my potential choices.

Anything longer than 24ft is really going to limit you (regardless of what RVers will tell you - remember to them "campground" is the same thing as "RV park"). 22ft or less is your best option for true camping. A crew cab long bed truck is not much shorter than my clipper; a full-size SUV with a boat on top is not much lower than my clipper. If they can get into the campground, so can I. A truck camper will be a bit taller, but can usually handle it, same with the class B. A small hard sided trailer will usually be lower, but you add length with the tow vehicle - now I found with my trailer and Durango that the campground roads weren't much of a problem: both were short enough to be able to maneuver around the turns. But those 24ft+ trailers, toy haulers, and 26ft+ motorhomes couldn't do it.

Enjoy!
              I get RVers mad at me all the time on the RV forums because I refuse to buy into the "get the biggest RV you can". At least once every two weeks, I am suggesting that all that inside space is not needed for a family of 5 to go camping. That if you want to go camping at the places you currently tent camp, you should stick with a smaller RV. That camping in a 21ft class C, a class B, a truck camper, or an 18ft trailer is NOT going to destroy your marriage.

Apparently, I am jealous because I don't have a 45ft diesel pusher....:tussor:
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

They're top dollar, but you might want to take a look at the Scamp trailers. Lightweight, so they're easily towed with small vehicles and all fiberglass shells that are virtually leakproof. They also hold their resale value very well. I've checked out an all fiberglass camper forum and even used trailers from the 70's are selling for over $3000.

Comment

I still love the Escape trailers - but I know they are on the wrong side of the continent to make it worthwhile for you (although, they will deliver). I like the Escape over the Scamp because of the floorplan. The Scamp floorplan (as with most of these small trailers) has the dinette on one end with the couch running next to it - this means if someone is sleeping on the dinette bed or the couch, the other person has to sit right next to them if they want to read, play cards, watch a movie, etc.

The Escape floorplan has 2 dinettes - a 4-person and a 2-person. They are on opposite sides of the trailer. So one person can sleep and the other person can be far enough away for their movements, light, movie, etc. not to disturb the sleeping person. It also means that I can keep one dinette set up as a bed and NOT have it be right next to the door (I don't like people walking up to the trailer door and seeing my bed as the first thing.
                  “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Been reading and thunking and thunking and reading. Still no idea exactly what I'll do but I suspect I won't make any decision before September. Gonna finish my summer head cleaning out with tenting first.
                    Oh and visions of Scamps and Escapes do float into my head, LOL.
                    I like the way AirStream keeps it's value but the smaller versions don't impress me design wise:(.
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                      They're top dollar, but you might want to take a look at the Scamp trailers. Lightweight, so they're easily towed with small vehicles and all fiberglass shells that are virtually leakproof. They also hold their resale value very well. I've checked out an all fiberglass camper forum and even used trailers from the 70's are selling for over $3000.
                      This is the exact suggestion I was going to make. Looking at the size of that teardrop it seems to be pretty comparable to the Scamps I've been in. For me the attraction of the teardrop is the small size and ease of use, and that particular teardrop is large enough that you lose that. I think a teardrop is in our future once the kids are grown up and moved out.

Good luck with figuring out what you're going to do.
                      Nights outside so far 2016: 19

Comment

toedtoes... we tried it (RVing with a TT)... by universal acclaim the experience was less than desirable, for us.
                        We have no urge to try it again; found our niche in four wheeling to places as far from unimproved roads as possible (if they appear on a map they are listed as Jeep trail or simply trail)...setting up a tent then dayhiking /exploring from there. Generally we have a good class of neighbors (black bears, deer, elk, fox, raccoons, etc.), we do not really care for brown bears or mountain lions though.
                        Thank the gods for national forests...

In recent years we regularly have used RV and TT accessible camping (usually on major holidays because friends have pop-ups, toy haulers, etc.).
                        ...As I get older I am finding it tougher to camp in the far places and, unfortunately, am now setting up a "civilized" 4wd, SUV (may call it the Bloat mobile) for the trips to the easily accessible campsites... we have no plans to pull a trailer.

IMO, Its all good (though some is not for us) find what you like and go with it...

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 06-24-2016, 02:02 PM.

Comment

toedtoes... we tried it (RVing with a TT)... by universal acclaim the experience was less than desirable, for us.
                          We have no urge to try it again; found our niche in four wheeling to places as far from unimproved roads as possible (if they appear on a map they are listed as Jeep trail or simply trail)...setting up a tent then dayhiking /exploring from there. Generally we have a good class of neighbors (black bears, deer, elk, fox, raccoons, etc.), we do not really care for brown bears or mountain lions though.
                          Thank the gods for national forests...

In recent years we regularly have used RV and TT accessible camping (usually on major holidays because friends have pop-ups, toy haulers, etc.).
                          ...As I get older I am finding it tougher to camp in the far places and, unfortunately, am now setting up a "civilized" 4wd, SUV (may call it the Bloat mobile) for the trips to the easily accessible campsites... we have no plans to pull a trailer.

IMO, Its all good (though some is not for us) find what you like and go with it...

Enjoy!
                          That was my point. A trailer isn't the only type of RV and is really not a good choice for your style of camping. In addition, you were doing a different type of travel than you were used to and found it to be less appealing (I really don't like RV parks at all) than traditional camping.

For other folks thinking about getting an RV, your experience is a great learning tool. A better understanding of the different types of RVs and their pros and cons can make a huge difference in their outcome.

In Australia, they specialize in "outback trailers" - these are very sturdy 4x4 camping trailers that can take any road a UT can take. Here in the states, we don't really have that option. For us (Americans and Canadians), if you want an RV to go off-road, you really end up going with a truck camper (this sits on the truck bed) on a 4x4 truck. There is a 4x4 class C made by Tiger - it's expensive but is well built and can easily go off road also. Those would give you the ability to camp as close as possible to how you currently camp (not necessarily everywhere, but close enough for many people to make the move from tenting while still enjoying the "neighborhood"). A trailer (even a 4x4 pop-up) will be far more limiting.

I often go to those same type of campgrounds you now find yourself going to. I used to do it with the SUV and trailer, but didn't enjoy towing the trailer. Now, I do it with the clipper and can't be happier.

Not trying to change your mind, just throwing out options for others reading this thread. An RV can make for a great CAMPING experience - it's just getting the right type and size RV for your needs.

Comment

Teardrop trailers are evil!!! :diablo: Oooh, cocooned into that tiny little sleeping space with solid walls surrounding you - sounds more like a coffin and I don't plan on sleeping in one of those for a very very very very very long time!

Comment

Options are good...
                              We tried many types of camping and styles of gear before settling on what we like.
                              The TT was way back in the mid 20th century/stone ages/early 1970s... everything is different now (though the taste remains).

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
                              X