VENT: Long Waiting Time for Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VENT: Long Waiting Time for Trailer

Just got off the phone with the factory's rep.

Oh dear heaven and earth it's going to take about 2.5 years for my TT to be made including customization:zzz:!!!!!
    I am sooooooo not a happy camper since I thought that the new factory would lessen the turnaround time.

Already imagined self in Mexico next February before this call.

Oh and removing personal and factory options doesn't change the time enough to care. @#$JJ^!
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: VENT: Long Waiting Time for Trailer

Man that sucks! Are they that popular or is it just that they're meticulous?

Maybe buy a cheap used trailer for the inbetween time?
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      Man that sucks! Are they that popular or is it just that they're meticulous?

Maybe buy a cheap used trailer for the inbetween time?
      A combo. They are popular in a niche market kind of way, are mostly hand made, and according to current owners are just that meticulous.

This weally screws with a lot of my logistics: the private garage to store it; buying a car (also needs to be stored but in a different locale); renting the apartment(s) out; the contractors' schedule. Surely other aspects I haven't wrapped my brain around.
      I need to let this all sink in and thennnn break the news to the man with solutions/alternatives in hand.
      Maybe a different unit will make sense between time.
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

What kind of trailer did you order??

Comment

A Safari Condo R-1723

http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes_R1723

Fridge switched to a freezer unit.
          "Nuker" switched to a convection microwave
          Toilet/ shower substituted with a interior toilet and shelving with an exterior shower.
          Upgraded electric system, interior and exterior.
          168 w solar panels.
          Extra battery, different HVAC system than offered.
          C.O.M. textiles for interior.
          2017:

Comment

That looks like a killer teardrop - but two and a half years to build it? Handcrafted or not, that seems excessive to say the least!

Comment

The Small Trailer Enthusiast site has lots of good resources. Perhaps you can find another vendor there. He has articles on teardrops to about 20' trailers.
              http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/

(BTW, he and I have the same Shasta 18ft and I bought mine based on his article.)
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Another procrastinating moment for me:winktongue:.
                Also realised this is gonna screw with my taxes for next year too.
                ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Not that.

OK OK. Going to look seriously at buying a different TTand explore the ramifications of short term vs "keeper" purchase. Thanks to all for ideas and links.
                2017:

Comment

That is a beautiful camper! I have seen them on YouTube. What a shame they cannot meet demand. Hopefully they will expand operations.

If you tell them you are ready to cancel your order, I hàve a feeling your wait time my decrease instantly and significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                    Another procrastinating moment for me:winktongue:.
                    Also realised this is gonna screw with my taxes for next year too.
                    ARRGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Not that.

OK OK. Going to look seriously at buying a different TTand explore the ramifications of short term vs "keeper" purchase. Thanks to all for ideas and links.
                    Don't you hate it when life sweeps in and messes with a perfect plan?!?!?! I've still got that Escape 17ft in my files - if I decide to add a small TT to my gear, that's going to be it.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

All it took to dissuade me from buying (or building) a TT was to RENT one for a 2 week travel vacation...
                      Its been tents ever since....
                      ... just not a trailer person, I guess.

Good luck!
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I never enjoyed tents and I hate having to do a lot of set up and take down. I want quick and easy so I can enjoy the most of my weekend.

I had a TT. I liked the solid walls and the ability to have all my stuff set up on a permanent basis. I didn't like towing - can't tell you how many times some idiot thought that merging onto the freeway between my SUV and the trailer was a good idea. I also didn't like the excessive length (about 34ft total).

When I got the clipper, I realized THIS was what I needed. 21ft total length, no merging into me, no hitching, permanent set up.

As I've used the clipper, I do admit that it is better suited for "park it and stay in walking distance" camping trips. If I were to do a long travel/camping trip to sightsee, a TT makes more sense - I could park it, unhitch, and use the SUV to sightsee all day, then come back to my TT at night.

So, I wouldn't trade my clipper for anything, but I am considering adding the Escape as an option.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                          All it took to dissuade me from buying (or building) a TT was to RENT one for a 2 week travel vacation...

Good luck!
                          Could you elaborate on your 2 week experiences? I have a wonderful tent, and an ever improving list of gear; but I lust after a TT or RV. Maybe I shouldn't?

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post

Good luck!
                            I'm pretty easy when it comes to traveling of any sort. I can do a Super 8 or Ritz-Carlton itinerary without issues; just keep me away from Holiday Inn, LOL.
                            Same thunk goes for camping.

The man however is different. He thinks tent camping is some kinda cross to bear for knowing me.
                            For....several years we have done it pretty much my way so now it's his turn. He wants an easy to maintain and drive RV (coinky dinky so does the Princess AKA DGD) as the cost of continuing to camp so I'm alright with it.

You've piqued my interest.......what happened during those 2 fateful weeks of your life?
                            2017:

Comment

I'm not sure what your requirements are in a trailer but I just ran across this company by accident and thought of this thread. All the internal framing is aluminum. Light weight and durable. Seemed priced right and several layouts available.

http://www.riversidervs.net/

Comment

Working...
                              X