X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: utility trailer for camping

Here is another option that is close to the Thule receiver concept -
    http://www.30secondstocamp.com/

Last edited by actad; 05-14-2016, 05:48 PM.
    - Laura
    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
      Here is another option that is close to the Thule receiver concept -
      http://www.30secondstocamp.com/
      Certainly an interesting invention, but I don't quite trust a company who doesn't include too many details about the construction of their product or, especially, doesn't include a price on their site. "Call for pricing" reeks to me of being spammed and having your details being sold to other companies.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
        Certainly an interesting invention, but I don't quite trust a company who doesn't include too many details about the construction of their product or, especially, doesn't include a price on their site. "Call for pricing" reeks to me of being spammed and having your details being sold to other companies.
        Totally agree with this
        “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
        – E. B. White

Comment

I'm with MacGyver and James on this one,reminder me of car adds where they don't post the miles or price like they got something to hide.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	camp trailer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	70514I recently bought a 5x8 trailer specifically for camping. (well, it will be useful for other stuff too ) I have aquired so much gear that it no longer fit in the back of my expedition with a cargo trailer on the back. I bought two totes from home depot to put most of my smaller basic stuff in. When I decide to head north for the weekend, I can load the trailer in under an hour if I put my mind to it. A buddy liked my idea so much, he plans to do the same, but take it a step further. He picked up a haulmark enclosed trailer for around $600 and plans to keep all of his equipment in there full time.

Comment

I don't know folks - but seems to me you might as well bite the bullet and buy an RV at this point... :diablo:
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I've been thinking about getting an utility trailer to use for camping. Something along the lines of a 4'x6' or 5'x8'.

I'd like it to be functional for camp use as well, not just to haul my gear to the campsite. Would take a bit of fabrication on my part I suppose, too bad I'm no good at such things.

Ideally, I'd really like to have the money to buy one of those adventure trailers built for off road you see in magazine ads. Those are several thousands of dollars though, and just too far out of my price range. I don't really go that far off the road where I need something that built up, just something nice to day dream about.

Comment

Originally posted by Bojib View Post
                  I've been thinking about getting an utility trailer to use for camping. Something along the lines of a 4'x6' or 5'x8'.

I'd like it to be functional for camp use as well, not just to haul my gear to the campsite. Would take a bit of fabrication on my part I suppose, too bad I'm no good at such things.

Ideally, I'd really like to have the money to buy one of those adventure trailers built for off road you see in magazine ads. Those are several thousands of dollars though, and just too far out of my price range. I don't really go that far off the road where I need something that built up, just something nice to day dream about.
                  If you ask around especially at 4WD club meetings you can often find someone that either has outgrown a welded frame off road trailer or is willing to weld one up for a semi reasonable price.

Be especially cautious of assemble it yourself (harbor freight/northern tool or home center) trailers; avoid any that do not have springs (unsprung trailers are the lowest form of home build) and shocks. Small tires will have issues on even small obstacles; try to get something with 15 inch or larger rims that has the same lug bolt pattern as your vehicle (so the spare tires can be interchanged).
                  Avoid trailers that have the axle in the center of the box; do not buy one that has more box behind the axle than in front. They may do not have enough tongue weight and can be hazardous/hard to pull (tend to wag on the highway; the axle should have more of the load/box in front of the axle than behind it.

Spend time estimating your load weight and verify the hitch and ball has the proper rating.

Avoid getting a trailer that has "booger" welds or "grapes" (they can fail on the highway with possibly fatal consequences) all welds should have the slag chipped off and should show small flow lines in the metal if they are ground smooth you have no idea what was ground away just for looks... look at pics of good welds on the web for more knowledge...

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 09-25-2016, 10:20 AM.
                  2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                  For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                  Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                  Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I just added sides to my trailer, and they are removeable if I need the trailer for something else. I have two foot sides on mine, and if it might rain I put a tarp over it held down with bungee cords, or straps. works for me.

Comment

Yep! a great many folks who do not use a trailer off road get by with a simple/stock setup.
                      Something a bit stronger or with more ground clearance, may be needed needed when driving though washouts, ravines, creek beds, and over rocks (ranging upward from softball size)....
                      Use what works for you (or modify it until it does work).

The first mod a utility trailer (and often pop-up tent trailers) gets is typically to flip the axle under the leaf springs (often done to level it with a SUV or pickup hitch).

Enjoy!
                      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have a 5x8 walk on trailer, I just ordered this tent. I will be getting it within the next two weeks. I will be getting the smaller of the two rigs in the pic.Click image for larger version

Name:	tent trailer thing.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	8.9 KB
ID:	71007

Comment

Ive used a small pickup bed trailer quite a bit. I used to leave it packed, and just get fresh water and food to take off. I kept my 9x12 wall tent, and metal frame antique hospital twin bed frame and mattress in/on it, with a folding table, camp stove, a carpet for inside the tent, and other junk. The trailer had a shell, so it was all relatively secure and out of the weather. I added long narrow boxes inside over the wheel wells, and grabbed a bunch of pickup window type gun racks to the walls to hang stuff from. It was from a 2wd Datsun truck, but would go most places I could get my 4wd Nissan truck into. The Nissan had a bed built into the back also, so i could get to a camp in the dark and just crawl in the back and sleep if need be, and set up in the light the next day.

The donor truck was free, I paid a friend to cut the frame and add a leftover tongue he had around, the shell was also free, though they cam often be found pretty cheap from used car dealers. they usually remove shells/caps before selling a truck. I dont recall what I had in it all told, but under $200 including title and registration. I'm now working on a trailer made from the old Nissan pickup and shell.

Ive used the hitch mounted cargo carriers quite a bit also. They tend to drag, even in town. I got one of the adapters that allow them to fold up when not in use and had the tongue the carrier cut and welded at a right able, and used in the "folded up" position all the time. I also shortened the shank of the adapter about 3" so it wasnt hanging out so far. It gained me about 10-11 inches of clearance, and I dont have to bend over to get things from it. The rear hatch of the 4runner can open with nothing on the rack, it clears by about a half inch. I used a small truck box bolted to the carrier some, then made a plywood/OSB box on it that is 18x18xwhatever the length of the carrier is. I added tail lights and put the license plate on it when I use it. It adds quite a lot of carrying capability without cluttering up inside the vehicle, and hasnt changed my fuel mileage any that I can tell. The adapter also allows me to still use the hitch ball it has, though the clearance is snug with some hitches.

I plan on using the carrier for mounting a small Honda generator and small window AC unit for summer travel so the dog can be cool when I have to stop. Ill modify the cargo box I built with vents, and access panels to operate the gen and AC. Ill probably duct the AC into the rear window.

Name:	hitch cargo carrier modified.jpg
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	71030

My little home made pickup bed trailer is in front of the pickup. The pickup is becoming my new trailer. It should have enough clearance to go about anywhere.

Name:	cabin3.jpg
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	71031
                          Last edited by Malamute; 05-12-2018, 11:23 AM. Reason: Speling is hard

Comment

Working...
                          X