utility trailer for camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• utility trailer for camping

Just wondering if anyone has converted a utility trailer to haul your camping gear,Thinking of building some kind box on my 5x8 trailer to haul all our stuff

Re: utility trailer for camping

Personally, we use a car-top carrier, so no experience here with utility trailers. Just a friendly bump for some of our other members that might help.
    Married to Longpants, Mom to Littlepants (9) and Tinypants (5). Love Camping in New England!

Comment

i havent converted my trailer yet, but keep bouncing around the idea,
      one of the ideas i have been bouncing around is to put whatever i build on wheels so i can roll it off, as i still use the trailer for hauling. maybe a winch on the trailer to help load it back on.
      another idea is various access panels so dont have to unload everything to get something from the front of the trailer

lots of ideas for converting your trailer, but most of them will evolve around what your needs are

Comment

I have been throwing around this idea. I actually think the cheapest and easiest thing to do would be to store all your camping gear in large high quality garbage cans with wheels. Then wheel them all onto your trailer or pickup. I think it would be pretty convenient to take your gear to where you want to stage it also. My main problem with this idea is I wouldn't want to leave the cans on the trailer for any length of time, so it would necessitate having an inside storage area for the cans.

Comment

We looked at trailers and roof-top boxes, but found a better alternative for our needs: I don't want extra wheels to go flat, a trailer that limits legal (CA) speeds to 55 mph, or a trailer I have to store on my property. We use a Thule Transporter Combi on a 2" receiver hitch. No scratches on the roof, no stepladder needed to load, stores easily up in the ceiling of my garage, and very little mileage hit due to good aerodynamics. Weathertight and locking, the cost was about the same for hitch/lighting harness/box vs. roof box/rack/rack fitment hardware...

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

It really depends on how much, and what type of, gear you are wanting to haul. For basic gear for 2 or 3 people, the Thule hitch carrier is a good option. You can also get the inexpensive open hitch carriers from Harbor Freight, etc., to add some extra storage space.

If you're looking at basic gear for 4 or more people, or extensive gear for 2 or 3, then a trailer makes more sense. If you add a bike to your camping gear, then the hitch carriers don't work anymore (gotta use the hitch to carry the bike). But a trailer could haul the bike AND gear.

Any trailer with sides could work, it just depends how far you want to go. A simple open metal sided trailer with a tarp and straps can haul a lot of gear easily. Store gear in plastic totes (sleeping gear in one, kitchen in another, etc.) and then just load the trailer, cover with the tarp and strap it down. An enclosed trailer will provide somewhat more security, but also limits the usefulness of the trailer (you can always cover a utility trailer with sides, but you can't uncover an enclosed trailer).
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Thule offers a lot of options for roof-mounted bicycle racks. If we were to add bicycles, I'd put them up there as they're a lot easier to load and unload vs. a roof-mounted cargo box. The Harbor Freight flat hitch carriers present their own set of issues with weather exposure , no locking for security, potential for loose (lost) gear, as well as blocked license plates and brake/turn signals for Johnny Law encounters. We looked at every option and combination of options, and the trailer was the worst choice for our strategy. I'd seriously consider it if we decided to buy a quad or off-road 2-seater for desert camping, or if in the future I had to trailer my Harley-Davidson FLHR instead of riding it.
              Last edited by tplife; 03-31-2016, 08:29 AM.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I've been looking at videos on YouTube of trailers people have converted for camping ,some are simple tarps others go all out .I think I am going somewhere in the middle with my 5x8 trailer. I'm thinking some type lockable box for all our gear and still have room for our bikes .

Comment

Originally posted by wecamp04 View Post
                  I'm thinking some type lockable box for all our gear and still have room for our bikes .
                  There are any number of companies that make/sell tool boxes for pickup trucks. They come in about a billion different sizes and configurations so I can imagine there's got to be something to suit your needs.

Comment

While I have not used a utility trailer for camping some of my friends have; they seem to work fine for hauling gear to civilized (numbered) campsites but can be a problem if, like me, you go places where four wheel drive and high clearances are necessary.
                    An axle/spring flip can provide some needed ground clearance for very limited off road use with some trailers.
                    The "you assemble it" trailers often start loosing fasteners and become "loose" after only a little abuse.
                    Most pickup bed trailers stand up pretty well, but care needs to be taken to get the tongue weight right.
                    Several friends have approached me to "fix" their utility trailers after use off road; now I just tell them to build an off road trailer and skip the hassles.

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 04-01-2016, 10:04 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Yeah, true off-road use (versus dirt roads, etc.) is a whole different ballgame.

A nice toolbox that could be bolted on to the trailer when needed is a nice compromise. You would have more versatility being able to remove it when you need the full flatbed, but you'd be able to carry bikes, etc., and still have a secure place to put smaller/sensitive items.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

MacGyver, I think I'm going the route you suggested a plastic truck tool box on the front will give lockable water proof storage ,single lid so easy load unload easy to remove when I need the full trailer,thanks everyone for the ideas, help.

Comment

I purchased this small utility trailer from Lowes. I have pulled it from Florida to Colorado and all over without any issues. It's pulls so easy you hardly know it's behind you.
                          I want to do some add-on's to it, but so far it has worked fine as is. I put all of my camping gear in the back of my truck and this trailer.
                          Attached Files

Comment

For me I bought a Tag A Long trailer from Harbor Freight(bought it on 4th of July-25%discount). It Chinese so the hardware & wiring are cheap-i replaced all of it and the wheel bearings, added bearing buddies & had some mods done
                            Rack for cooler in front & larger rack behind for an Action Packer- by Rubbermaid for added Storage. Mods cost me more than the trailer-(trailer was under 200 bucks w discount). LUV my lil trailer, pulls like a dream & I carry virtually everything I need for a Nice campsite. YMMV
                            Ohh, also the bearings in the wheels May be Timken's or Chinese-but either way the lil bit of lube they put on em resembles Vaseline....they need to be repacked & changed to Timken if they are Chinese. In addition the 8" tires are only 4 ply-i upgraded to 6 ply and switched all lights to LEDs....YouTube has a bunch o vids from guys who have upgraded these to suit their needs...good resource.
                            Last edited by cunningman; 04-16-2016, 11:59 AM. Reason: Additional info

Comment

My wife bought a used enclosed 4x8 trailer from a local rental business she works with regularly(shes a caterer) for my birthday last year. I ripped out the crappy interior walls and replaced with 1/2" plywood. I built shelving that fits all my gear from 3/4" plywood. The floors were already 1/2" and in good shape. It holds all my gear and gives me a place to secure valuables and food when camping. It has the added benefit of storing all my gear when not camping. All I need to unload is gear that needs cleaning, drying, etc. The rest can stay. It allows me to plan a last minute trip where all I have to do is pack food and clothes and hit the road.

Comment

Working...
                              X