Battery Charging while plugged in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Charging while plugged in?

I just recently bought a 2006 Jayco Jay 1206. The camper is in great shape, but I can't find the information I'm looking for. While the camper is plugged into either 15 or 30 amp service, does the camper automatically charge the battery or do I have to hook it up to a trickle charger? Thanks for your help.

John

Re: Battery Charging while plugged in?

Good question. Have you searched for an online manual?
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
      Good question. Have you searched for an online manual?
      Smart you:

http://www.jayco.com/owner/manuals/?year=2006&cat=
      2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
      Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I would think it would almost have to be a getting charged. If not, how else would a somewhat permanently mounted battery get charged during a long trip? You could also look at your inverter to see if it also says it's a charger. Or, Google the model number to see what's what.

Comment

With it being a 2006, you should have a converter/charger. This will both charge the house battery and power the 12v DC items (lights, water pump, etc.) when plugged into shore power. Depending on the converter/charger model, you may have a "dumb charger" or a "smart charger". The smart charger will work like a trickle charger - only charging as needed. The dumb charger is dumb.

Since you bought the trailer used, you may find that the converter/charger is not properly working (buying used RVs is a buyer beware world - dealers and individuals will lie about the condition of the RV far more than they do on almost any other big ticket item). Read up on how a converter/charger works so you can get an idea as to what it should be doing when. Get a battery meter so you can check if the battery is fully charged (don't trust the battery level meter in the RV without verifying it with an external meter first - they can read wrong).

And remember, your household type outlets in the RV will NOT work unless you are plugged into shore power/generator or you have an inverter. And an inverter is only as good as the battery bank (it converts the 12v DC into 110v AC so the bigger the battery bank, the more 110v power). Also, if you choose to use an inverter, remember that household appliances that create heat (hair dryers, heaters, electric skillets, toasters, microwaves, coffee makers, etc.) use a LOT of power - you can very quickly run down your battery using them without a generator or shore power.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Working...
          X