Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• politics and the outdoors

hope i am not opening up a can of worms with this post,
    mods, if it gets out of hand feel free to delete.

the outdoors can be political, usage, funding, access, etc... are all dependent on politics
    both parties have their pros and cons when it comes to outdoors,
    just curious if anyone uses the outdoors as a element in their voting decisions
    is so what makes them do so?

for myself i havent voted in national elections in over 15 years because i dont agree with either side, and dont support any of the candidates, this election year being no different
    i do feel strongly about us as individuals being free to pursue activities without too many restrictions, and protecting the outdoors for ourselves and our kids.

please keep it civil

Re: politics and the outdoors

I know what party I feel has a good recent history of protecting the environment.
    As such I tend to vote for them although it certainly is not the only factor in choosing who to vote for IMO.

I have voted in every national election since I came of age. My grandparents (and parents. and aunts. and uncles) used to tell me about the struggle to be able to vote when I was a kiddo and it's ingrained in my brain.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

My love for nature does influence how I vote. It pains me to see trees cut down in our parks to sell. I worry about the future of the environment in general.

I always voted, I was taught if you don't vote you have no right to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by Denni2 View Post
        My love for nature does influence how I vote. It pains me to see trees cut down in our parks to sell. I worry about the future of the environment in general.

I always voted, I was taught if you don't vote you have no right to complain.
        Can understand but i disagree
        I refuse to vote for lesser of 2 evils
        And i will not vote for someone just to oppose another candidate
        Voting for the sake of voting is why we keep ending up with such a bad batch of candidates

As for hugging trees
        Can relate
        I have some favorite trees on my land
        I do touch and talk to trees yup i do that

Comment

As an amateur naturalist, you would think I would vote for the party that has the reputation of being environment friendly. But I'm not an environmentalist. I'm a conservationist. Enviro's have a "Hands OFF!" approach. I think this is counterproductive. I say, Hands On, but be responsible.

None of which really is my over-riding concern at the poll, because I am more focused on economic, social, and constitutional issues.
          2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

When it comes to outdoors and our elected official i want management and access
            Ny state is actually very outdoor friendly lots of oppurtunities/access very little restrictions
            Pa is a major pain can camp on state lands but require a permit to park, with a host of what where how to camp restrictions
            So no last minute overnight trips

Comment

I have been voting for 40 years. I agree with Jeff Greenfield who said "Men and women in my lifetime have died fighting for the right to vote: people like James Chaney, Andrew Goodman and Michael Schwerner, who were murdered while registering black voters in Mississippi in 1964, and Viola Liuzzo, who was murdered by the Ku Klux Klan in 1965 during the Selma march for voting rights." I feel an obligation to vote.

Yes, environmental and conservation issues are a factor in how I vote, along with other issues.
              Last edited by actad; 03-04-2016, 05:31 PM.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I have also voted every time since I was registered. IMO, not voting because you don't like the candidates is like never telling a person they upset you - the only one who knows there is a problem is you and nothing will ever change.

I believe if you don't like the candidates, then find someone you do like and work to get them out there (campaign for them or write them in on the ballot or whatever).

Yes, environmental issues are important for my vote, but not the most important.
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Consider the irony:

“One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Gotta protect my sources...

:party:
                  Last edited by tplife; 03-11-2016, 02:55 PM.
                  “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                  ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I'm missing the irony and suppose someone like sayyyy.....Perlmutter, would as well. A good scientist who isn't narrow-minded and dull would pick up on the use and meaning of "a goodly number" with ease. Were I you I wouldn't pass this on since it merely affirms.

Just saying.
                    2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Perhaps TP should pass it on. Maybe his ex-boss could impart some meaning into the quote for him. Like being so sure that what he thinks is the truth to the point of never being open to the idea that it might not be true is being narrow-minded, dull, and yes, stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
                        I'm missing the irony and suppose someone like sayyyy.....Perlmutter, would as well. A good scientist who isn't narrow-minded and dull would pick up on the use and meaning of "a goodly number" with ease. Were I you I wouldn't pass this on since it merely affirms.

Just saying.
                        If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. Like riding on the back of my Harley, unless you (she's a size 0) have a BIG BUTT... :lol:
                        Last edited by tplife; 03-11-2016, 11:03 PM.
                        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                          If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand. Like riding on the back of my Harley, unless you (she's a size 0) have a BIG BUTT... :lol:
                          ..but but errr uhm I don't want to ride on the back of your Harley (not enough hazard pay in this life) and dinna even know it was up for discussion. Still, yes well thank you for the invitation.

Sorta kinda

Exactly where is the massive shudder emoticon? :he:

Last edited by NYCgrrl; 03-12-2016, 02:28 AM.
                          2017:

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                            Whack job anyone.

Comment

While I am not a "single issue voter", and like the Great Outdoors, neither party is showing any real progress here. I have a few other critical issues driving my voting far more, and one party is absolutely anathema to those interests. The other party has shown no great desire to actually run any viable candidates (this election nor the last two), so I am now a staunch Independent Constitutional Conservative, and will vote for whoever I feel is working in the real interests of the majority of Americans, and myself. So far, neither party fills the bill.
                              I will look at each candidate's (I call them "Contestants", as that is more accurate) actual voting record on various important issues, and make my selection accordingly. So far, I am singularly unimpressed.
                              Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                              X