Tent Questions from newbee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Questions from newbee

I'm new at this and obviously over thinking things.

I would like your opinions and advice regarding a tent purchase. I'm looking at 3-4 lb. tents and have been focusing on the REI Quarter Dome 2 and the MSR Hubba Hubba NX. The Quarter Dome has a zipper in the tent wall that accesses the single large fly vent.

Are there other tents that have a similar feature? I have looked at a number of sites and no one mentions this in their descriptions.

Is this really important? I'll be doing spring thru fall camping. It appears that most tents simply have outside access vents so, if it rains, do those tents "leak" if you don't close them? I'd hate to have to go outside at night in the rain just to close vents.

Other quick questions...There is a 5 denier (REI 15 v. MSR 20) difference between the fly's. Is this significant? The REI fly just feels very thin. I'm happy with a few more ounces for increased durability. I know that BA tents are generally highly rated but their floors are 10 denier thinner than both of the above tents (BA 20 v. 30). I'll use a footprint or sheet of Tyvek but I'm still very durability conscious.

You're the experienced experts.

Thank you in advance for your input.

Re: Tent Questions from newbee

Last edited by WannabeOutdoorsman; 03-25-2016, 11:37 PM.

Comment

Mak,

3-4 pound tents are considered heavy for backpacking these days. I like the tents from Six Moon Designs...there are others but I like mine. It has been storm tested.

I have a Kelty that weighs in at 3 lbs (and packs small) that has given me good service as well.
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I have just finished writing a review on a few tents on my blog. Have you looked at the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2? It has similar features and only weighs around 2lbs. here is the link to my reviews which will hopefully help you out.
        Last edited by Boomstix; 04-26-2016, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X