Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo Wilderness Camping- Trip Wire Alarm For Safety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solo Wilderness Camping- Trip Wire Alarm For Safety?

Four legs good, two legs bad! Yeah, I get you, but the more isolated I am, the more comfortable I am. Of course if I am car camping it is a simple matter to keep the AR handy. If I hike in, I don't sweat it at all.

For the ultimate camp security, you could always just set up a perimeter of claymores (This side towards enemy).
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

I agree, you should go somewhere you are comfortable with for your first time on your own.

Comment

I almost always solo camp and though I am usually within spitting distance of my vehicle I still get a little uneasy the first night out. Where I prefer to camp, in SE Oklahoma, there is an occasional black bear sighting but the main critter problems I have to worry about are the raccoons that check out the campsites every night and an occasional skunk. I camp in a state park but try to go in the late winter/early spring when it is still cool enough that the snakes and mosquitos aren't a problem and during the week when the kids are still in school. Generally Monday through Friday I will have the tent camping area to myself and when I am leaving on Friday people begin to arrive.

One of the reasons I love to camp is to get away from the pressures of work and life so I am looking for solitude, however, there is always a little anxiousness that first night. Firearms are not allowed in the park where I stay but I always have a knife and walking stick near me.

Comment

I have a lil battery operated motion alarm that i place inside my trailer or tent on occasion.
          Tactical Flashlights are handy to have in camp and some of them can def cause some temp blindness....
          A concealed carry permit is another option.
          But as said by most, common sense and checking in w local rangers can go a long way in helping to alleviate anxiety.

Comment

Most of the time at state parks I am able to camp in the primitive area. Most of those times nobody else is camping there, or at most one or two weekenders. Most of the time there is also a rule against firearms and alcohol. Since the rangers down here don't search your vehicle or peer into your trash bag, what they don't know doesn't hurt 'em none.
            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
            X