Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solo Wilderness Camping- Trip Wire Alarm For Safety?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo Wilderness Camping- Trip Wire Alarm For Safety?

I am planning my first solo camping trip (3 days, 2 nights in a very rural, very rarely used state forest camping area). I am a bit worried about camping solo at night. I am considering purchasing some 50# fishing line and a few bells to create a warning alarm a couple dozen feet around my tent for peace of mind. I would only have it up after dark, but I am not sure if this is a good idea, or if it might even be a bad idea to do on state land. Honestly, animals in my area (Upstate NY) do not really worry me. I am, however, concerned about some drunk/ hostile person looking to cause some trouble or steal from me. Thoughts? Am I just being paranoid? Is this a bad plan? Thanks in advance for any advice!

Re: Solo Wilderness Camping- Trip Wire Alarm For Safety?

I wouldn't use a trip wire as I think it will cause you more anxiety than it will help. As soon as you hear the bells, you're going to be hyped up. Even if it was just the wind or a deer or a branch falling, etc.

My suggestion is to hold off on the "very rural rarely used" location until you're more at ease with camping solo.

I camp solo (with 2 dogs). I never felt comfortable in a tent alone. I worried about the dogs catching wind of something or hearing something and trying to get out; I worried about only having a piece of nylon or canvas between me and anyone/anything else; and I hated the set-up. I got myself a small RV (21ft class C). I no longer have those worries.

I started camping in more populated family campgrounds. Now I often camp off-season and am the only (or one of a very few) person in the campground. I am very comfortable out there alone. I do have a tire thumper in my RV - that's the only "weapon" I carry. If something is happening outside that concerns me, I can slide into the driver's seat and drive away quickly.

So, find a way to camp that reduces your anxiety rather than using tools that will feed your anxiety. It's the safest way to camp solo.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

where in upstate NY?
      i camp solo in upstate NY
      i wouldnt be so concerned about safety in the woods,
      i would be more concerned about leaving any valueables in the car,
      greater chance of having car broken into than your tent,
      i also leave my gear at the tent site and hike all day , never had a problem with anything stolen from camp
      as toed mentioned with a trip wire you will be up at every sound, deer, critters, etc..
      if you really want the extra security but dont want to bring a firearm, then use bear spray
      also, are you a regular camper? familiar with keeping your site clear of food?
      hanging/stashing your food and such away from camp?

Comment

Good point on the trip wire likely just scaring me, toedtoes. I am really in the middle of nowhere, so finding a camping area with a handful of people in this season (I much prefer camping in the colder seasons) is just not possible. I think I might just have to tough it out, have a restless night or two, then realize I am just being paranoid.

@terasec I am way Upstate, over an hour and a half North of Utica. I am a fairly frequent camper (although it is usually done with 2-3 other people). I am aware of how to correctly store food to not attract wildlife. That is a great point, though. I am sure a hungry critter sniffing out a snack happens MUCH more often than having issues with a person sneaking up on you at night.

I spent the past four years working for a power company, much of it hiking through the wilderness solo, inspecting transmission lines. I have seen many animals, including a bobcat, coyotes and over a dozen black bears. None scared me. I have ran into a few people, out in the middle of nowhere, that did scare me with their aggressive attitudes (and more than one was carrying a hunting rifle). However, I doubt many people with bother a camper who is keeping to himself. I think I will just go for it (no trip wire).
        Last edited by vegeta13613; 02-04-2016, 06:10 PM.

Comment

A bit drastic, but somehow I knew they'd be out there...
          http://campingalarms.com/
          http://stealarmor.com/

Comment

What is the point of camping if it gives you that much anxiety? Either camp someplace where you don't feel threatened or stay home or do something else.

If you want more peace of mind, stop reading and watching the daily news. Get rid of your television. Seriously. Mainstream news media does you absolutely no good except fill your day with negativity, and anxiety. the most successful people do not watch or read daily news. You will be less afraid to do normal things in your life.
            Last edited by Mike; 02-05-2016, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
              Ha! $525 for a gizmo that makes noise when a chipmunk tries to take a piece of fallen popcorn from your camp.

Have we reached the point of "just stay home" yet?

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                Those are pretty neat. Could be pretty useful ot here on moose, bear and mountain lion country.
                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  What is the point of camping if it gives you that much anxiety? Either camp someplace where you don't feel threatened or stay home or do something else.
                  You are entitled to your opintion, but I believe that many people are aftraid to try new things that have some risk associated with them. I am anxious to solo camp in the middle of the woods, but it is something I want to do, as I known that eventually I will get over my worries, and enjoy it immensely. I am not one of those people who feel that if you are anxious to try something, then don't do it.

And I do not read the newspaper or watch the daily news. My anxiety comes from personal experience (see my previous post about me dealing with aggressive locals carrying rifles).
                  Last edited by vegeta13613; 02-05-2016, 06:41 AM.

Comment

...Anxiety?... its normal for campers new to the game (I could say don't worry but that's a bit silly).

Personally I normally advise folks to use their intelligence and not to camp in areas frequented by undesirables (homeless, druggies, drunks and meth heads/addicts) you normally find these in "civilized" areas close to cities, but you can find grow operations and meth labs quite far into the boonies....

Black bears and mountain lions (mostly these fall into the kinda neat category and won't bother people who behave properly and mind their own business; be aware & don't approach Mama Bear or her cubs (one swipe of that paw can remove your head), don't treat the woods like a gym (running or biking away from a predator is one of the better ways to trigger the chase instinct). You can normally tell that a BIG kitty is around by the cat smell... don't freak, just go somewhere else.

Only a couple of times have bears bothered anything in camp; once one raided some chips that were left out and another time a friend had his cooler rolled around (very young bears, I figure); neither time was there a dog in camp. Since then we practice good camp hygiene sterilizing all food waste in the fire, do not allow food or cooking in or next to the tent wash up before going to sleep (bears are scent animals; minimize the scent).

We use ammo cans to store food so far they have not been bothered by bears.

We count the trip as a success if a deer or elk comes up to check out our camp or a bear runs by (the normally do not stick around, I figure they are afraid of getting eaten (a bit greasy).

In terms of alarms a dog is probably about the best.

I thought about IR activated lights and alarms after one trip where some kind of freak insisted on coming into our camp at night (carried a .45 for a bit after that one).
                    We pick our camping areas more carefully now.

Note: a fire arm without training is probably near useless in an emergency and even with training almost certainly more trouble (heavy awkward, PITA and likely far away if needed) than they are worth... I field most inquiries by recommending bear spray ( in addition to bears, it will also discourage "feral" dogs and their irate owners, is is not classed as a deadly weapon locally (check before buying) and an accidental discharge, while unpleasant (in the extreme) will, probably, not be fatal...

Enjoy!
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 02-05-2016, 08:40 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by vegeta13613 View Post

@terasec I am way Upstate, over an hour and a half North of Utica. I am a fairly frequent camper (although it is usually done with 2-3 other people). I am aware of how to correctly store food to not attract wildlife. That is a great point, though. I am sure a hungry critter sniffing out a snack happens MUCH more often than having issues with a person sneaking up on you at night.
                      1 1/2 hr north of utica? i know the area well, i have 50 acres near watertown,
                      i camp all over the area year round,
                      never had a problem,
                      for added security you can also let local rangers know where/when you will be camping,
                      they may do a drive by of the parking area to check on you or your car

Comment

Originally posted by terasec View Post
                        1 1/2 hr north of utica? i know the area well, i have 50 acres near watertown,
                        i camp all over the area year round,
                        never had a problem,
                        for added security you can also let local rangers know where/when you will be camping,
                        they may do a drive by of the parking area to check on you or your car
                        Telling the rangers about your plans is a good idea.

Mike

Comment

I understand the comment that if it makes you that anxious, you should find something else to do. Anxiety can destroy a trip very quickly. One of the major benefits of camping is to reduce stress - if it creates so much more, then it isn't a good activity.

About a year ago or so, I went off-season camping in a developed campground. When I arrived, one family was packing up and leaving; a solo male camper was set up; and I was setting up (solo female). The solo male came around several times to chat and ask me to "watch his camp" to make sure no one stole anything - not sure who would be doing the stealing as it was just him and me.

The next day, two couples came in and set up camp next to the solo male. A friend came out and joined me. As my friend and I were walking around the campground, the solo male came rushing up to tell me that he was packing up and leaving because he was afraid of these people next door. He was certain they were going to start a fight and beat him up during the night.

I told him there were two couples and they seemed to be enjoying their time together hanging around the campfire chatting. They did not show any signs of being trouble makers.

Now, was I just being clueless? Should I have been concerned and fearful of these strangers - either the solo male or the two couples? Or was this solo male being overly scared? Was he imagining problems based on his own biases rather than reality (the couples had a radio playing country music which he pointed out as a sign of danger)?

This solo male seemed to need a LOT of interaction with me in order to feel safe camping. I really didn't want all that interaction, but tried to give him enough to ease his stress. I felt no stress at all and thoroughly enjoyed my time.

He seemed to see an ax murderer behind every tree, I just saw a tree.

My basic belief is that I am more at risk in my daily life than I am camping. Off-season, someone who chooses to wait behind a tree for an unsuspecting victim could wait for a very long time. At home, there is a potential victim walking by every few minutes to an hour. I stay on established trails which rarely run into pot cultivation, etc. i've even been known to place a note inside my vehicle stating that I'm hiking, when I left, when I expect to return, what I'm wearing, etc. That way if I don't return, the authorities will know my last movements and general direction.

Those safety precautions are enough to put me at ease. If they weren't, I would change my camping preferences accordingly.

Being anxious the first night or two is normal. If you're anxious beyond that, then you need to re-evaluate.
                          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I admit that the only time I feel uncomfortable is when I am solo in a developed campgrounds and somebody comes rolling in at night.

I feel MANY TIMES safer wilderness camping alone far from people than camping alone in a deserted campgrounds. If I was in my camp late at night, I would much rather a bear saunter into my camp than a human.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                              If I was in my camp late at night, I would much rather a bear saunter into my camp than a human.
                              I couldn't agree with you more.

Well, thanks for the great advice, all. I am just going to suck it up, and go for it. I have a feeling that after getting through the first night, I will love it.

Comment

Working...
                              X