Minneapolis area recommendations, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minneapolis area recommendations, please

This summer, my daughter's dance team will be performing in Minneapolis. We would like to make a family vacation out of it and find a campground near-ish. We've looked around the very near/in-town ones when visiting in the past and they are little more than concrete parking lots. I would prefer to be within 40 minutes of central Minneapolis if possible, but would more prefer a pretty, park-like or woodsy camp area.

I know there are at least two KOAs within the distance, but no idea if they're any good? We hope to visit the mall, the outlet mall, the zoo and maybe a waterpark during our stay there.

We tow a 29 foot bunkhouse and will have at least two if not all four of our kids with us, 'kids' ages 14-22. Pool or lake swimming would be a definite plus. Much, much prefer full hookups as we'll be there a week or more.

Recommendations, please? Or warnings - places we should absolutely avoid?

Re: Minneapolis area recommendations, please

You might want to check out the state campgrounds on along the north shore of lake Superior. Highway 61 runs just North of the shoreline of lake superior. There are about 10 or so state parks in this area. The driving time from Minneapolis is about 3 hours, not quite within your 40 min drive but worth it in my opinion. Last summer I stayed in Split Rock Lighthouse state park and it was great. This one is walk in tent sites only but most of the others allow RV's.
    I have stayed in three Mn state parks and enjoyed them all. I would not call them concrete parking lots but they are as not as isolated as I would prefer.
    Good luck it is a great area to camp in.

Comment

I have a few ideas for you.

Along the lines of Diveralan, I would recommend a look at the state parks. There isn't anything real close to Minneapolis in that regard for camping. Lake Maria State park is close to one of the outlet malls, but still probably an hour + away. Minneopa is about an hour and a half southwest, near Mankato. Of the two, Lake Maria is the more secluded. Here is a link to the state parks.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/map.html

If those are still 2 far away, my recommendation would be a campground in the three river park system, Carver. I have yet to camp there, butI drive by it almost every time I go to the cities. It is West of Minneapolis, on the edge of the cities. It is right by a lake. If you do decide to do this one, I would highly recommend checking out the Landscape Arboretum. Link to the campsite is below.

https://www.threeriversparks.org/par...ampground.aspx

Hope this helps.

Comment

There is a lot of good camping around Minneapolis. The most famous is the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, BUT, it is a lot farther away than most people think. It is a good 4 hour drive to the BWCA

A closer and excellent choice is Interstate Park (Gorgeous Dells Views) in Wisconsin: http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/interstate/

Interstate park is about 30 minutes from Minneapolis.

Last edited by Mike; 02-05-2016, 05:45 AM.

Comment

If you want some great camping close to Minneapolis, try Taylors Falls on the Minnesota Wisconsin border. The link above my post for Interstate Park gives all the details. I grew up outside of Minneapolis. Fort Snelling State Park located in the metropolitan area is nice too. You feel like you are in the wildnerss.

The North Shore of Lake Superior is amazing. Boundary Waters Canoe Area. If you really want to get remote, try Voyagers National Park..

It's a beautiful state with lakes everywhere.
          Last edited by markkee; 03-06-2016, 10:21 PM.
          Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
          sigpic

Comment

Voyagers National Park looks great. I may have to try it out next time I camp in the area.
            Thanks

Comment

Working...
            X