Interesting new tent concept...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting new tent concept...

While surfing I came across this interesting shelter design by an architect...
    http://www.abeerseikaly.com/weavinghome.php

seems to be oriented toward emergency shelter...although it would make an interesting camp tent design. depending on how much trouble it is to set up and break down.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-28-2016, 09:19 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Re: Interesting new tent concept...

This is the design I tried to follow up on. I've seen comments about people using them but can't seem to find many details on it, not even the cost.

Comment

Now that too is interesting; and it has the advantage of a rectangular floor plan...

(edit) a bit of searching developed a linky;
      http://greenupgrader.com/3434/recove...mathew-malone/

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-29-2016, 09:13 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        ...a bit of searching developed a linky;
        http://greenupgrader.com/3434/recove...mathew-malone/
        Yep - I saw that link, too. Seems all the links on that page just take you to other pages with links to other pages, ad infinitum. Never a mention of price or where to buy one.

The best I can tell, they're either too large, or at best unwieldy, to transport in a pickup truck. I'd really like to see them scaled down to a 2 or 3 person size. I can't imagine they wouldn't sell if priced reasonably.

Comment

It's probably just a concept and not available.
          I expect that they are probably quite difficult to fold and the raw sheets would be so large as to be unwieldy at best.
          Looking at the design I suspect that the material is a multilayer plastic product (similar in structure to corrugated pasteboard) to get and maintain rigidity, except along folds.

I could see making something similar out of fabric or tarps and plastic pipe although the plastic pipe would make a pretty big bundle.

Putting on the engineer hat...
          another possibility would be to seam two plastic/fabric/etc. sheets together at intervals, leaving tubes in to which rigid pieces could be inserted giving both the hinges/folds and water proof surface. without the need for huge individual sheets.

I also suspect the coils of tubing for the dome design would make quite a pile.

... seems like there are many good looking concepts that are not all that great in reality, often when transportation is considered; i.e. yurts (supporting structure) and teepees (poles; even if made, in sections, to telescope and store inside one another the bundle rapidly becomes "large", at least for Jeep transport).

Enjoy!
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-30-2016, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            While surfing I came across this interesting shelter design by an architect...
            http://www.abeerseikaly.com/weavinghome.php

seems to be oriented toward emergency shelter...although it would make an interesting camp tent design. depending on how much trouble it is to set up and break down.

Enjoy!
            Think I'm going to try to contact the designer at the email listed w/i the link to see if these tents are actually in production. Can't put my finger on exactly why but it looks like the people are photo shopped into the frame.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

...Good Luck and let us know how it works out.
              I expect you are right about the photo shop job (all of the tents in the pic seem to be in exactly the same orientation relative to the camera); the write up also has something of a student project feel to it, IMO.

Enjoy!

Comment

Working...
              X