Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trip to cabelas.

Originally posted by huricanelane View Post
    I have the deluxe model of the camp kitchen. I do like it, but it is very bulky and takes up a lot of room in my car.

If you want to do a lot of upscale camp cooking, it is great. I stopped using it after a few years because I decided to simplify my cooking to spend more time hiking. Although I do miss having dutch oven lasagna while camping!
    I've one as well and it still goes on every long trip. Errrrrrr I'm prolly one of those gosh durned upscale camp cooks but truth be known I do about 60% of my cooking at home, freeze the food, and then just heat it up on site. Still the camp kitchen and separate tent for it gives me a sense of home and organisation that allow me to stay outdoors for 2-3 weeks . Got to agree w/ you on the bulkiness and if I was buying another unit it would be a different style.

huricanelane, what kind of pot(s) do you bring camping? I just finished making a lasagna Bolognese for the freezer and when I heat it up at the campsite I'll either place it in a small aluminum pan or just use non stick foil. Still with the advent of no boil lasagna noodles it's not hard to make lasagna completely in say a CI skillet. If you have a fav recipe I can probably re tool it for most any pot you like.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

NYCgrrl, back when I was using the kitchen I was doing a lot of dutch oven cooking. I just felt I was bring too much with me for just a weekend camping trip. I've since gone the complete opposite way and tried to go minimalist. I haven't camped in 2 years, so this spring I will be re-evaluating my camping supplies. Currently, all I usually bring is a griddle. Sometimes just foil over my chimney starter if I'm in a hurry.

I do a lot of cooking at home from fancy to simple. Thanks for the offer to help retool my recipes. That's something I can do as well. I don't use actual recipes much anymore lol

Comment

Originally posted by huricanelane View Post
        NYCgrrl, back when I was using the kitchen I was doing a lot of dutch oven cooking. I just felt I was bring too much with me for just a weekend camping trip. I've since gone the complete opposite way and tried to go minimalist. I haven't camped in 2 years, so this spring I will be re-evaluating my camping supplies. Currently, all I usually bring is a griddle. Sometimes just foil over my chimney starter if I'm in a hurry.

I do a lot of cooking at home from fancy to simple. Thanks for the offer to help retool my recipes. That's something I can do as well. I don't use actual recipes much anymore lol
        Oh I get you completely on the need to "change your game up" from time to time. The trip I forgot to pack ANY pot was revelatory (:he and allowed me to think outside the box.

Sounds like you cook much like me; think of a dish and substitute with abandon.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

We purchased cots for our three kids for camping trips. They use them to have camp outs in each others' rooms.

Comment

Originally posted by jburke View Post
            We purchased cots for our three kids for camping trips. They use them to have camp outs in each others' rooms.
            Why? Cots are only intended for use inside heated enclosures. They're not intended for camping when temps can drop and will suck the warmth right out of you. If you take 'em back and put that money into some Thermarest (or knockoff brand) self-inflating sleeping pads, they'd have comfort and warmth.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
              Why? Cots are only intended for use inside heated enclosures. They're not intended for camping when temps can drop and will suck the warmth right out of you. If you take 'em back and put that money into some Thermarest (or knockoff brand) self-inflating sleeping pads, they'd have comfort and warmth.
              Here we go AGAIN... You never get tired of trotting that out, do you? Where, other than in the Big Book of TP's Way of Doing Things, is it written that cots are only for use in heated enclosures? People have been sleeping on cots in tents for years - with no distress, no hypothermia, no problems, no runs, no hits, no errors. Did you ever stop to think that people might not be using their cots in cold weather? Did it ever occur to you that a cot with a good topper can beat the cold? Before I even had a good heater I slept on cots in the dead of winter - sub zero temperatures - and slept nice and toasty. Granted, it took a few underlayers, but it didn't "suck the warmth right out" of me.

All that to say, why not give it a rest already?

Comment

MacGuyver, did you notice that I said "when temps can drop"? And have you ever bothered to ask yourself why the US military uses ThermaRest pads and only uses cots in heated barracks or in AC barracks overseas? Do you know what an R-Rating is? Do you know that most hypothermia occurs between 30 and 50 degrees F? Do you understand the thermodynamics that no matter what you put on top of a cot, it sucks the warmth out of you anyway as there's no solid barrier under it? Next time you sleep in sub zero temperatures, do youself a favor, take a rated down bag and a 5.0 R-value self-inflating sleeping pad and see the difference for yourself. A cot has an R-Value of 0.75. Let's do the math: 5.0/0.75 = 6.67, meaning you can cut the insulation to be thermo-neutral on a cot by over 6 times to sleep comfortably on a 5.0 R-Value self-inflating sleeping pad. You know, a fellow camper could learn a lot from a guy like Colin Fletcher, LOL.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/19/sp...cher.html?_r=0
                Last edited by tplife; 02-08-2016, 07:20 PM.
                “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

Yeah, tp, I understand the science. No, not to the degree that you do - I'm certainly not an engineer. But I've slept in Winter cold using dozens of configurations over the years, including your "never ever ever air mattress" and somehow, despite all of your numbers, I've only had a few problems, most of those years ago before I learned how to make things comfortable. But jburke simply stated that they bought cots - with no mention of cold weather. Your immediate reaction is, "Why?"

Let it go. Or at least stop coming in like a know-it-all to tell people what they need to buy or how they need to camp. Suggestions are always welcome on a forum like this. Decrees and edicts? Not so much.

Comment

Why? Why can't you just say "I don't like or recommend cots for camping due to the potential heat loss." Then simply refer the poster to one of the hundreds of prior posts detailing your issue with cots.

Why? Why don't you simply try limiting the spouting off of your extensive and supreme knowledge and say it like a human "in cold weather, you can lose heat during the night if you use a cot". And then refer them to one of the hundreds of prior posts detailing your issue with cots.

Why? Why can't you just let it go and accept that people don't care like you do.

Why? Why can't you just stop bashing every poster over the head and learn to be polite.
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I am thinking about mountaineers who have "cots" suspended over...nothing. I like my cot. Don't backpack with it, but it is nice for car camping. GACK! I'm gonna die!
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                        Why? Why can't you just say "I don't like or recommend cots for camping due to the potential heat loss." Then simply refer the poster to one of the hundreds of prior posts detailing your issue with cots.

Why? Why don't you simply try limiting the spouting off of your extensive and supreme knowledge and say it like a human "in cold weather, you can lose heat during the night if you use a cot". And then refer them to one of the hundreds of prior posts detailing your issue with cots.

Why? Why can't you just let it go and accept that people don't care like you do.

Why? Why can't you just stop bashing every poster over the head and learn to be polite.
                        They don't teach tact or diplomacy at engineering school. That's why.

Comment

Originally posted by jburke View Post
                          I purchased cots the first time to accommodate my older mother and aunt. That was about.......8 or 9 years back and my mother just celebrated her 91st birthday last December. Nope it dinna kill her.

Just bought new bunk cots last year for kids and as much as I considered losing 'em in the woods w/ no breadcrumb trail at times.......yesssssssssss they are still alive too.

As long as ya use common sense you'll be fine.
                          2017:

Comment

To ensure a warmer nights sleep, when using a cot, use an pad with a good r value to prevent heat loss, and add som extra comfort. I use a pad on my cots, and I have made under quilts, to suspend underneath my hammock, to ensure warmth and comfort.
                            Nights camped in 2019: 24
                            Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

I use a soft, thick, mattress pad on a cot for comfort... it works very well for insulation too!

Some cots seem to have nearly the firmness of a hardwood floor or pool table (a fresh new G.I. cot for example) and are quite poor for sleeping on, unless well padded (these old bones complain otherwise).
                              Did the ground and various less than satisfactory pads during my younger years, probably the best combination was a twin sized air mattress with a moving pad for insulation.
                              After the thick twin-size air mattress wore out (developed leaks) I went to a cot with a thin air mattress and tried a variety of pads (from moving pads through an antique feather bed, G.I. pad, ridge rest, self inflating foam etc...
                              After the thin air mattress decided that it was tired of holding air I went to a better cot (with springs around the edge) and a thick foam pad (best sleeping so far, but also the bulkiest to pack into the vehicle.

Enjoy!
                              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post

Uh, well, Jburke got cots and has kids - the Peanut Gallery can take your 20th-century cots and tell yourself it's cozy and drink yourself silly, but I digress...Let's just repeat that based on personal experience, scientific(factual) laws regarding heat transfer, published R-Values, and wanting to help others avoid BEING RIPPED OFF and having a less-than-ideal nights' sleep (thanks again to Colin Fletcher) I like passing on what works for everyone, LOL.
                                Last edited by tplife; 02-14-2016, 08:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X