Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspended Tents Hanging on Trees

HELLO!

I'm looking for buying a suspend tent on trees.

What do you think about them? Are they usefull?

Has anybody tested a suspended tent before?

Here you can talk about suspended tents
    Attached Files
    I like them and I use them very much
    0.00%
    I like them and I want to buy one
    0.00%
    I dont like them and buying one is a mistake!
    42.86%
    regular tents are better
    57.14%

Re: Suspended Tents Hanging on Trees

Just bought our teenagers a Tentsile for Christmas; they have not used it yet. I'll check back in on the thread after they do.
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

My answer really does not fit a category. I would not be able to use them due to mobility issues, not dislike.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

The only real problem I see with a suspended tent is finding 3 trees that are sturdy enough, close enough to tie off to, at the proper 120° from each other AND with nothing in the way between those trees.

Comment

It's illegal in our campgrounds to attach anything to a tree, bush, or even a stump. And the limiting factor of being around the right trees in the right configuration...Could be an issue. In a sea of trees, in the heat of summer a suspended tent could have the advantages of a cot but with a rain and bug screen. Once it gets cool however, those tents will be like living inside an icebox, LOL.
          Last edited by tplife; 01-21-2016, 06:05 PM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

The tents do look enviting. The treehugger in me would worry about damage to the tree. Most of the places we have camped won't allow anything attached to the trees. Most of the time there isn't trees sturdy enough to support it. We find it hard enough to find a spot with trees without widow makers. LOL.

Comment

sure looks inviting for promo pics
              but once your in it it will sag
              personally would prefer a hammock tent that contours to your body

Comment

The concept is nice, but I'd worry about rolling in my sleep and falling out... I remember watching a national geographic special where they had tents strung up on a cliff-side with a huge drop below. {{shivers}}
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Yeah - NOT happening!

Comment

That is just SO WRONG in SO MANY WAYS!!!!
                    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I don't have anything against them, they're just not for me. I have considered a hammock, which is very similar but still different, but I think I will stick with a tent.

Comment

I have never seen a suspended tent but the 3 in the picture look like glorified hammocks. I assume they are single person abodes and if so why would they do any more damage to a tree than a hammock especially since the weight would be distributed among 3 trees? I think I will keep my tent on the ground. I get nervous just seeing the guys hanging on a cliff face. Definitely not for me!

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                          Yeah - NOT happening!

Oh be still my hyperventilating heart!
                          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I finally saw the YouTube video about the suspended tents. They are a lot sturdier than what I thought and are multiple person dwellings. It's a novel idea but I don't think I would like it. It seems there would be too much movement and if one person moved everybody would move - similar to a water bed. A person could get motion sick if they had a restless tent mate. I think I will stay on the ground.

Comment

I'm bumping this thread because I read this review:

https://theultimatehang.com/2014/12/...e-tent-review/

Since I have transitioned to hammock camping this makes a lot more sense to me now. And here's the kicker, you can sling additional hammocks or also floors underneath, to increase sleeping capacity. I'm curious to know how JohnJohn's worked out.
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X