Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review on charging devices

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to get some information on a charging device. I'm look for your reviews (advantages/disadvantages) of your charging device. I am wanting one that can fit in my pack and be light weight enough to take with me for an extended, couple day, hiking trip. I have done some research on common charging devices. Like crank devices, solar devices, hydroelectric devices, wind power, etc. With batteries and without batteries.

I was wondering what you guys thought about your device that you use. I'm kinda stuck on what I want to get and it would help greatly if you could send over a review. Thanks for any help.

Re: Review on charging devices

I use this, but probably over kill for Backpacking. However I can vouch for the brand and durability. They may offer something smaller and lighter for your needs.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...th_4_USB_Ports
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

I use an Anker brand model. Very similar to what JohnJohn posted. 20000mAh, under $40, 18 month warranty. Only 2 usb ports, but that is sufficient for my needs. So far, so good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
        I use an Anker brand model. Very similar to what JohnJohn posted. 20000mAh, under $40, 18 month warranty. Only 2 usb ports, but that is sufficient for my needs. So far, so good.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00
        20000mAh for under $40? DANG!!!!
        JohnJohn
        ---------
        Forum Admin

Comment

I think Microcenter is taking me to bankruptcy as fast as REI.

Comment

I use the Biolite Kettlecharge. The USB power output is 10 Watt. Weight is 2lbs.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/s...FZODaQodNvQO2w
            Last edited by actad; 01-21-2016, 05:30 PM.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Thanks everyone. These will definitely help. Anyone have any experience with a solar charger?

Comment

My Suaoki 20watt Solar Charger is working nicely so far. I have two 50000mAh power banks, two 10000mAh & a 6000mAh. My needs are minimal...cell phone, mighty dwarf speaker & mp3 player. My lights are all Solar powered and I have a hand crank Radio Shack radio-- those all have charging capabilities too.

For back up I have 3 twelve volt outlets on my bike w adapters for USBs, also carry a small power converter that can plug into one and provides two 110 outlets & 2 USB outlets, in addition I have another converter hard wired inside my lil trailer & it also has two USB & 110 outlets available. Of course, the power converters Both require my bike to be running...but I do like to have options.
                As for other batteries, I carry 8-AA, 8-AAA, 2-18650 Duracell Rechargables w chargers & a half dozen CR2032 for things like my alarm clock, remote for my drive lights, mini mags-(still have a few) & my tactical flashlight.
                Last edited by cunningman; 01-23-2016, 11:07 AM.

Comment

I use a pocket-sized Anker power pack too. Worked great on a multiday trip I took. I did have access to vehicle power to top it off too though in addition to the cell phone, but the power pack alone gives the cell phone two full charges. Larger capacity units can charge a cell pone three or more times. Amazon has fairly good deals on them. Ebay might too, but I utterly avoid them.
                  For larger or longer term power needs, I have a larger Schumacher jumper pack, with air pump (both high pressure/low volume and low pressure/high volume), DC and AC outlets and USB outlet. Good for vehicle carry and basecamp use. Has come in handy many times.
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Historically I have used AA battery devices, with a cheap solar charger and NiMh rechargeable batteries (Eneloop, MaHa, or Harbor Freight)... a Lacrosse smart charger keeps them charged at home.
                    A couple of years ago I decided to try back packable solar power (5 watt foldable panel) and a Lithium power pack (Rosewel 13,000 mahr).
                    I even converted a head lamp to wired USB power.
                    All told, the excessive amount of cables and increased weight were more trouble than the increased power justified and I returned to the old system.
                    It should be noted that I have no use for cell phones or computers in the wilderness, although I see people carrying them... to each their own.
                    I have used a mini multiband radio on the trail, and have thought about bringing an e-book reader, in addition to LED lights.

Since that time age has dropped our backpacking to near zero (day hikes from base camp).

For Jeep camping we use a 35 amp-hour lead acid battery, with an inverter (has a USB port), to power the tent lighting and tunes. It can be recharged from the Jeep or by a folding 8 watt solar panel (the panel is only brought on trips in excess of 3 or 4 days) the battery lasts out a standard 3 day, holiday, week end very well with no need for recharging.
                    It is far to heavy to pack on my back, however.
                    At home the battery is normally connected to a computer UPS to keep it topped off, and serves as an emergency power option for lights; all the table lamps, and most ceiling lights have the same 120 volt, low power consumption (400 to 470 lumen) LED bulbs that we use camping. It has virtually eliminated our use of oil lamps for power failure lighting, although we still keep one in the living room incase one of our cigarette smoking friends drops by (lighting the lamp or a candle helps keep the air breathable and reduces the tobacco stink).
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Happy Joe; 01-23-2016, 09:16 AM.
                    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

HJoe, what are you using for audio? One of the newer Bluetooth setups or a 120V boombox? Curious as I'm always thinking about updating our setup. I also wonder what the static power draw is for your inverter. Cool Beans!
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
                        HJoe, what are you using for audio?
                        I used to use a 120 volt/8 D cell CD/mp3 boom box... its still in the supply closet,... more recently I have used a set of computer speakers with subwoofer (Altec Lansing) using signal from a noname MP3 digital player, or an old Ipod.
                        I am toying on setting up a (wired) portable 5 channel using the subwoofer and 4 outdoor KLH speakers that used to be part of the gaming computer; ought to work OK (not great, the amp is too small) in corners of the popup canopy.

One of my friends is experimenting with blue tooth wireless camp music; I'm waiting for him to sort out what works best/acceptably (kind of tired of spending money to stay on the bleeding edge especially since my hearing is going; all I mostly get is midrange and lows now).

The inverter in the pic is a Harbor Freight (allegedly) 80 watt unit (probably closer to 60 watt continuous from my incandescent bulb load testing) that was modified to with a switch and binding posts (removed the coiled cord and lighter plug).
                        I no longer recall the inverter's static draw but it was relatively high, so I just switch it off when not in use.

If/when I run out of inverter headroom (the tent 470 lumen light with inverter draws ~ 0.65-0.68 amp, very bulb brand dependent) I will switch to a different cheap chinese HF inverter, I have several in different power ranges... with chinese inverters; always carry a spare...

Enjoy!
                        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Check out the new Exos-9 speaker from the newly resurrected company, Aiwa. I run it from a 300-watt Xantrex pure sine inverter, but the battery in the speaker will run for a minimum of 8 hours, so it doesn't have to be constantly hooked to the AC.

I've looked at close to a dozen bluetooth speakers for camping and I'll put this one up against some that cost a lot more, including the highly regarded Sonos Play series and the Bose Soundlink series.

Comment

For my music, I've gone to my Microsoft Zune (have 6 of them bought new and cheap on eBay so I will never need to replace). I use a simple remote control docking station and a set of cheap http://http://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...ilpage_o06_s02 computer speakers. Plug both into my Wagan power pack and I have music as much as I want. I have the speakers and dock set up semi-permanently in the clipper. If I want to listen to music outside, I use one of those little single pop-up speakers. It's just enough for me to enjoy my music without asking everyone else in the campground to do so also.

I did just pick up this Weiyi jump starter/charger. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...ilpage_o02_s00 I haven't tried it yet, but I like that it's more portable than my Wagan and still offers the 12v plug.
                            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Y'all actually PACK all that stuff?
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Working...
                              X