REi garage sale in knoxville this weekend- need ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• REi garage sale in knoxville this weekend- need ideas

I will be gong to my first REI garage sale next weekend and trying to score some new stuff. I have read about them online but so much seems like a foreign language to me.

I have ALWAYS camped in central and south FL. It is a different kind of camping. Its hot. There are bugs. We stay in flip flops, bathing suits and always have a good rain fly. Air mattresses are normal to keep you cool and comfortable. But, that is about it. We now have entered a world where the temps drop below 70 and there are all these "common sense" rules to camping that this Fl girl is oblivious to. so, I am researching and reading and looking at STUFF!

So, here are the qualifications. We don't have deep pockets and we have 7 young children (15 yo to 3 mo). They will do and play with anything, (so no issues with entertainment). We have several 3 season tents, multiple sizes. regular 40* generic sleeping bags (that we usually use as padding more than get in). Clearly, we aren't talking about minimalistic camping. We have a 15 passenger van to haul stuff in.

AND NOW WE LIVE 45 min from the GSMNP and we want to enjoy every moment we can since we homeschool and have no friends here, so we can. We also think that 50* is arctic cold but we are trying to explore anyways and get used to it.

What are products that you seasoned campers would absolutely grab at an REI garage sale, if you were me? Brands to stay away from? I know they are a gamble for stuff but I don't even know what to be looking for that is appropriate for us and what would be a waste of $$.

I think my wish list includes:

hiking child carrier
    sleeping pads
    camp kitchen set up (we cook for 9)
    compass
    bunk cots

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Richardandleigh; 12-27-2015, 02:44 PM.

Re: REi garage sale in knoxville this weekend- need ideas

Hello the Camp,
    I dont have any specific info or suggestions that address the needs specified...
    Just wanted to say Hi and to let you know you brought a smile to an old curmudgeon. I miss camping w my daughters & their friends. It was def a chore at times but they & I both cherish the many memories. I have entered a new phase. I will be traveling between my 3 daughters anually and they will join me at a campsite. April, im heading to K.C. to visit my oldest & my 2 grandsons...they will camp w me for a week. Then Im heading to Kalamazoo to camp w my mid daughter, then Wis to see my dad for abit then make my way to Alaska to winter w my youngest daughter. They are all married & have great spouses....but just 2 grandkids so far.
    Enjoy your time & Kudos for the gift you are giving your children.

Comment

Just figure out what you need and see what they have. Don't be afraid to buy something that needs repair. Most of the high quality items will help you with replacement.
      What I will do is have a clue of what I need going in. I will see things I like and grab stuff, like 3 backpacks. I did a quick search of the REI website to see the reviews and put the 2 I didn't want back.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thank you =) We love the camping part- but the packing and planning is exhausting. Let's face it, no one wants to hear a miserable child because mommy didn't bring the right stuff and daddy was working so hard, he didn't double check. But, I know that its worth risking it to make moments that are filled with experiences. I loved the times i spent camping and fishing with my grandparents and I am sure your grandchildren do as well. Try to fill them up with all your lessons learned. You won't always be there, but your words can imprint on them forever.

Comment

Too cold for cots (great for the 'Glades, I have a place down there), but 25 X 77" ThermaRest pads are something that goes on sale a few times per year, are available in generic knockoff versions at Costco, can be bought used on Ebay (lifetime guarantees from ThermaRest, just make sure you don't see ripples in the picture, that means they were improperly stored deflated) and basically don't wear out due to quality. Anytime you're sleeping with temps below 50, you want to be on a pad on the ground. Look for R-Values 5.0 or better in your pad selection. REI yard sales are okay and there are bargains, but you need to know what you're buying as the Internet often has better prices/quality. We've seen good deals on sleeping bags, backpacks, and backpacking self-inflating pads, but not a lot of cookware. REI is a place where even inexperienced buyers can leave with quality gear that will enhance their campouts.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

No REi physical store near me, so I have been on their website the past couple of days dreaming about camping season and looking at things I would like to have but are not essential. .Many items are the same price on Amazon or Walmart, but here are two that are kind of unique in price or function to REI:

In my cart right now are some more of the Biolite flex lights since they re down to $9.99. http://www.rei.com/product/886185/bi...lexlight-light
            I have taken a real liking to these little guys -just the right amount of non-glare light. I have the little Biolite stove. I don't care to use the charge feature while the stove is running, but I do use the stove USB port and one of these lights to see while using it at dusk or dark. I use them in the tent powered from a USB charging brick. The lights are on my laptop at home and work, too.

I also put one of the REI Evrgrn cushions in the cart, just to try out to help hip issues when sitting at a picnic table or for the occasional time I might need to sit on the floor of the tent. I like the waterproof bottom. http://www.rei.com/product/882923/ev...ounded-cushion

I took this one out of my REI cart and put in my Amazon cart because it is about $15 cheaper there, and that is the Byer Trilite Wash Station. I realize I am out in nature, but I always feel like my hands are dirty when camping. http://www.amazon.com/Byer-TriLite-S.../dp/B00CIL417C
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

+1 on the sleeping pads, especially since you won't have the bags to lay on any more. I can relate - I camp in S. Mississippi most of the time. It gets cold in the Smokies, and quickly at that. You can probably make do with your existing sleeping bags, keeping in mind that a "40 degree" bag is really a 50 or 60. It would be well to carry some old comforters to use for supplemental warmth.

To cook for that many people I would think that just whatever kitchenware you have, would be best. You might find some nice metal plates or something unbreakable.

I don't think you will need a compass unless you're doing backcountry hiking. I navigate very well by paying attention to the sun. Heavy overcast (or RAIN!) can mess with you, though. Could be a good educational tool for the kids however - an impromptu orienteering class :-)
              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

We did the garage sale in Knoxville this morning and had a lot of fun. First, we were misinformed and people do indeed camp out for the sale. The front of the line had been there since closing last night. We got there at 5:45 am and there were at least 35 people in front of us but nothing like the several hundred that came in the 2 hours after. We got several really good deals but the best, as far as % off were these.

retail actual savings % saved Issue my opinion
                Vibram Trail shoes $114.95 $7.83 $107.12 93.19% tread grip tearin off its not
                travel sleeping bag $83.99 $5.83 $78.16 93.06% boken zipper nope
                socks $10.00 $0.83 $9.17 91.70% Caused blisters lol
                kuhl sweater $129.00 $14.83 $114.17 88.50% shrunk
                hydroskin $77.93 $9.83 $68.10 87.39% used
                Gregory Cairn 58 $279.00 $37.83 $241.17 86.44% bad fit
                Asolo TPS520 Boots $300.00 $49.83 $250.17 83.39% wrinkle in liner
                thermarest prolite $94.95 $16.83 $78.12 82.27% not hold air going to contact thermarest
                Kitchen Sink - 20 liter $29.95 $5.83 $24.12 80.53% used
                vibram Hiking Shoes $150.00 $29.83 $120.17 80.11% toe seperation dab of glue
                REI Garage $99.50 $19.83 $79.67 80.07% needs grommet getting a grommet

We also got 2 hiking packs and only saved a bit over 50% but no damage. Probably should have left those. But, i am excited to go camping now! Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                X