Truck cap vent fan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck cap vent fan

I put a truck cap on my truck and want to put a vent fan in it. The cap is made of fiberglass and was wondering what blade or tool to use to cut the fiberglass to install it. Has anyone done this. Any help much appreciated.

Re: Truck cap vent fan

I've never done it, but I would use a sabre saw with a fine-tooth (metal cutting) blade.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Ditto. There are Youtube videos showing this basic installation for vans. Same techniques. It should tell what sealers to use too, to prevent water leaks.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Youtube vids are awesome. BTW, Welcome
        Nights camped in 2019: 24
        Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Thank you everyone for your suggestions

Comment

Yes, sabre (jig) saw. Put a layer of tape over the cut path and it will keep the saw shoe from marring the finish of your shell.

Keep in mind, the dust from cutting it is fiberglass. Very bad to breathe (believed to be a carcinogen I believe, or at least a severe lung irritant), and bad to get on your skin or let pets walk through or stick their nose in and breathe. When I've messed with that sort of thing I have the shop vac all ready to go and clean it all up before doing anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post
              Keep in mind, the dust from cutting it is fiberglass. Very bad to breathe (believed to be a carcinogen I believe, or at least a severe lung irritant), and bad to get on your skin or let pets walk through or stick their nose in and breathe.
              I don't know whether it's a carcinogen or not either - but I do know that it's called fiberglass for a reason - the stuff is glass and it can cut up your insides. So, yeah, breathing it in or getting it on your skin can be a problem. Whenever I've cut it, along with wearing a dust mask, I duct tape the shop vac hose to the saw as close to the blade as possible.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the fiberglass. Much appreciated. I'm trying to make a camper out of it so I can save a little on motel and hotel rentals when I visit family and friends. I'm 68 and retired now and hope to travel a little.

Comment

Working...
                X