Tent Material?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent Material?

What is your opinion on how well this tent is made? It is 190T nylon taffeta treated with 1500mm polyurethane waterproofing coating. 210 denier oxford nylon floor. This is the outback lodge tent from cabelas. I do not know much about tent materials or what to look for in a tent. Reviews seem to be good. Thanks

Re: Tent Material?

A good tent has at least the rainfly made from polyester. It is far more UV resistant than nylon. A polyester rainfly and nylon tent body/floor are the next best thing to 100% polyester. That tent's single-pole design sacrifices headroom, wind and rain integrity, and it's apparent single-wall construction means a lot more condensation (moisture, wet, muggy) interior than a dual-wall tent where the outer wall reflects wind and water and the inside breathable wall minimizes condensation. You could do worse than this tent, but at this price point, I'd compare it to modern designs by NorthFace, Big Agnes, Marmot, Mountain HardWear, A16, REI, EMS, or Sierra Designs and see if you can get a "better" tent. This tent's 10 X 10 footprint is the ideal maximum size for most campsite's level areas, and will allow multiple pitching options that larger tents cannot due to site layout.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

My thoughts: I pretty much agree with tplife about the single pole design and possible condensation issues due to the single wall design. It also needs multiple multiple guy outs-additional set-up/take down time. Also, the interior is exposed to rain/runoff when you unzip the tent.

I also prefer a polyester fly because it doesn't stretch as much as nylon in wet weather (in addition to it's better UV damage resistance). I like ripstop material in the fly (although I have tents without). Taffeta is often used as the side wall material in double walled tents.

Unlike tp, I prefer a nylon floor over polyester for nylon's abrasion resistance. The 210 nylon oxford used in the floor of this particular tent is very rugged and durable.

Another teepee style tent to consider is the Big Agnes Yahmonite 5 person (about the same price at REI as the Outback Lodge). The tent design is from a gear maker called Go Lite. Go Lite went under and somehow Big Agnes picked up/bought the design/materials from the suppliers. But essentially it's a Go Lite tent. Its a double walled tent (eliminates condensation from running down into the sleeping area). Down to the ground fly. Thick diam adjustable quality DAC aluminum single pole design. Can be pitch "fly only" in bug free conditions. 3000mm waterproof coating on the inner tent's bathtub floor (I'd guess the fly is 1500mm-Big Agne seems to prefer 1500mm on their flys). Just under 6 lbs and a tad under a 10x10 footprint. Best part? It has a functional vestibule. I'd say the interior could fit 3 comfortably, 4 in a pinch. 5-huh...probably not. Close-out at $450 (list $600). They also have a 3 Person model. A good teepee style tent with high quality materials. I think it's great and keep eyeing it...my wife---nope, no pole in the middle tents. We'll see. lol

Link to the Big Agnes Yahmonite: http://www.rei.com/product/889194/bi...c:cse_PLA_GOOG
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Hello,as i know, the fabric material i have no idea,about the 1500mm, it means the waterproof coefficient, the number large and the waterproof well.and about the rod, aluminum rod is better than the fiber glass rod, fiber glass rod is easy to break off, aluminum rod is much lightweight than it.Hope this can help with you:he:

Comment

Working...
        X