Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping furniture and usefull or not accessories...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Camping furniture and usefull or not accessories...

I use this stool with a metal square as a table. dual purpose.
    Attached Files

Comment

Useful: The four chairs I won in a photo contest from Eureka! (because I would never have been able to afford them otherwise)
      Useful: The LuminAids.
      Not useful: The tablecloth I got from Walmart. All the red ink bled onto my arms!
      Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
      Nights under the stars:
      2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
      2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

I Picked up 2 of these. They fold up pretty small and come in a storage bag.

Comment

Seeing as how cots are being covered in another thread...
          http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ot-for-camping

How about mattresses and pads?
          For years I hiked and camped with a Ridgerest (left in the pic)
          Then got a cheap inflatable foam mattress (it still works surprisingly; not rolling it tight has probably helped) it was resurrected when the air mattress for the Ozark/Walmart many legged cot died.
          Then switched to a twin sized thick Coleman blow up mattress (no pic, it died long ago).
          after spending a trip on the Coleman cot & pad I cut down a hospital pad (on the right) it may be bulky (would make an amusing backpacking pic) but it certainly is comfortable....

In the foreground is the old well washed/fluffy moving pad; it has served as an insulating pad, emergency sleeping blanket/cold weather sleeping bag insulator and also for moving furniture...

Enjoy!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-27-2015, 05:25 AM. Reason: added cot thread tlink
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Ground tents work best for me, so far.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

OK... so how about, non-food, in tent storage and stowage...
            We never have food in the tent nor is it prepared next to the tent... (not really afraid of bears but why take chances?)

I used to use the ubiquitous large blue tubs; but while easy to load they were a bear to find small items in as everything settled to the bottom.

I then switched to the Wal-Mart plastic furniture on the right in the pic.... nearly as easy to load into the vehicle; and way easier to find things in since the drawers are shallower than the tubs.

About 2 years ago I switched to the shallow tubs on the left; they fit nicely under a Coleman cot and are shallow enough that whatever you want is usually visible....

Enjoy!
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-14-2015, 12:15 PM.
            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I had to get a cot out to do some measuring for my cot-couch project so here's a pic showing the cot (sans mattress) and the short storage totes.
              (need to figure out how to do multiple pics in a post).
              Enjoy!
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                I had to get a cot out to do some measuring for my cot-couch project so here's a pic showing the cot (sans mattress) and the short storage totes.
                (need to figure out how to do multiple pics in a post).
                Enjoy!
                I have that cot, and love it. It is the most comfortable one I have found for my hip issues.
                I like your totes. I use vintage suitcases. I am attaching a pic of my cot with the mattress enclosed in a sleeping bag liner and with an old Samsonite clamshell type suitcase that goes under it.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by actad; 12-15-2015, 02:39 PM.
                - Laura
                Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Small world! I actually have one of those suitcases...
                  Never really considered it for camping though.
                  We use small canvass bags (have several sizes) for clothes we use one for each person. (Sometimes on long trips it means that we have to do laundry)...

The short/shallow totes are wally-mart items.
                  In the past, for some reason, translucent plastic totes have had a relatively limited camping life, for me, the bottoms usually crack or break after 5 years or so; these have lasted through 2 or 3 camping season just fine. They are pretty cheap so they will not cost much to replace if nothing better is available by the time they need it.

I was tempted by the under bed storage totes, with wheels, at wally-mart, as I recall they were a bit longer. These totes are a good fit under the cot; not too long/don't stick out, not too high/you don't hit when laying/sitting on the cot.

The Coleman cots with the springs between the frame and fabric (with a thick foam pad/mattress) are the most comfortable that I have found so far...(as I become even more antique my joints no longer work as well).

Enjoy!
                  Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-17-2015, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I carry my Coleman cot in the trunk of my car. I traveled from WV to MD for several years taking care of my parents, and it was nice to have my own bed when staying in their house and I used it later when my mom was in assisted living so I could stay in her room with her. Now, I keep it in the car in case I stay over as a baby sitter for grandkids - much better than bunking on the sofa. It fits perfectly in my 4 person tent, too, when I solo camp. I can use it as the base for the Kamprite when using it as a tent cot. Though the tent extends over it a bit, I can fasten it with paracord.

I get the suitcases at thrift stores for about $5. (I found scrubbing bubbles bathroom cleaner and a magic sponge work wonders at cleaning up the outside. If they are musty, just rip the fabric out and glue some free maps inside.) They are weather resistant, can be tossed in the back of the pickup or in the trunk of the car. Two fit nicely under the cot, so one for clothes and one for gear.
                    Last edited by actad; 12-16-2015, 05:48 PM.
                    - Laura
                    Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Great idea for staying with relatives... I'll use it!...Thanx!

The totes are used primarily for the random/miscellaneous largely non fragile or long gear; First aid kit, TP, folding campfire grill, canvas bucket, canvas wash basin, a couple of microfiber towels, hotdog forks, flashlights, extension cords, 550 cord, clothespins, spare inverter, Svensaw (although there "should" be one in the vehicle) etc. etc.

The reason that we settled on the canvas bags for clothing is that they can be stuffed into random holes when packing the vehicle and/or used to pad items which might be semi fragile (tent light, e-book reader)... space is usually at a premium in the back of the 'ol Jeep, much less so (rarely) in the pickup.

Enjoy!

(edit) what to other folks use besides suitcases and totes? (running out of things to take pics of for this thread).
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-18-2015, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
                        What do other folks use besides suitcases and totes?
                        I have 4 different size Pelican Storm cases that I load up in different ways for different trips. I like 'em for a number of reasons: They're waterproof so I can throw 'em in the bed of the pickup and not have to worry about the weather, they're VERY durable so they can take a beating without a hitch, they make a great tackle/utility box when I'm in my canoe and the larger ones double as wheeled luggage in the rare event that I fly somewhere.

This one holds all of my kitchen gear, personal hygiene products, tools (minus the splitting axe, obviously), bungees, cord, rope, tent pegs, and electrical components (also obviously, minus the solar panels).

No - I'm not even close to a minimalist. :p

Comment

If bring camping furniture to go camping ,then have to drive a car ,or just bring a hammock is enough
                          Take a walk with mother nature, you will be fine then. :go:

Comment

Enjoy backpacking while you can...
                            Even when backpacking regularly, I drove a vehicle (haven't owned a car for decades) to the trailhead.
                            Now, since my knees complain pretty intensely after packing a load downhill, I use a vehicle (modified CJ-7) and existing Jeep trails to get where I can enjoy the woods (and day hike from a basecamp).
                            After some years of sitting on rocks, stumps or the ground; being able to sit in a chair can be a real pleasure (not just my opinion).
                            Especially in difficult rocky terrain or simply while camped alongside a river (or my preference, a babbling brook); life can be a lot better with a stable-comfortable place to sit, a cool drink, some shade and good company...

I believe a hammock qualifies as camping furniture; got any pics or links?

Enjoy!

Comment

THIS. 18 oz w/o headrest. Girl does not come with the chair. No longer available, alas :-( 18 oz is a lot to pack, but everybody is entitled to one luxury :-)
                              2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

A buddy bought me one of these directors chairs. The magnum one, rated to 325 pounds. And it is higher, make it easy to get out of, plus there are pockets for cell phones and other stuff. Can't wait to get it out.
                                http://www.cabelas.com/product/cabel...ir/1748327.uts
                                Nights camped in 2019: 24
                                Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                                X