Tent peg alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent peg alternative

I mentioned this in another thread, but I think it bears repeating. Some of the posts on here lately seem to mirror my thinking that the worst part of setting up a tent is having to stake them down. I know that's especially true for the Kodiaks. Staying bent over to pound down over a dozen large stakes can definitely take it's toll on older or otherwise damaged knees and backs. After one particular trip where the ground was mostly compacted clay and rocks, I was determined to find a better way.

A trip down the hardware aisle at a local Home Depot found me standing in front of a bunch of bins with what look like long, partially threaded lag bolts. They're from a company called Spax. I immediately bought 16 3/8ths x 8 inch bolts and 16 fender washers to match the 16 stakes my Kodiak needs.

The next trip out proved that I hadn't made a mistake in buying 'em. Yes, you have to carry a cordless drill to make it work but it seems that almost any two-speed drill gets the job done. I take out a Ryobi, which isn't the "torquiest" drill out there and, on low speed, the bolts went right to the ground in no time - even when I had to angle a couple because of rocks. I didn't time it, but I'm pretty sure all sixteen were set in about 10 minutes - and my bad knee wasn't screaming at me. No more banging away on stakes for me!

Last edited by MacGyver; 05-31-2017, 10:43 PM.

Re: Tent peg alternative

great idea with the screws in hard ground. another simple support is a tripod made of three heavy limbs, lash the top with cord or a bungee. Usually 1 stake is all to keep it from pulling over. Here's a couple setups where a tarp needed an extra support.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Element 79; 11-07-2015, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Element 79 View Post
      great idea with the screws in hard ground. another simple support is a tripod made of three heavy limbs, lash the top with cord or a bungee. Usually 1 stake is all to keep it from pulling over. Here's a couple setups where a tarp needed an extra support.
      Nice MacGyvering there! Love the solar panels What's the deal with the panel on top of the cart with those huge wheels? Looks interesting...

Comment

You are hard core, McGuyver! You are always finding ways to keep you camping.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
          You are hard core, McGuyver! You are always finding ways to keep you camping.
          You know it! Living in a crowded, fairly dangerous city makes getting out in the woods for a sanity check a must. I plan on spending eternity out in Western Maryland - I want my ashes spread out in the State Forest I've spent a LOT of time in.

Comment

I need a new 21st century drill.
            OK. OK. Actually a late 20th century battery pack key-less(?) cordless drill would do. The last time I used my current drill (purchased in the mid to late '80's?) it dinna have enough power to drill through a plaster lath wall embedded with an early 20th century thin metal (no idea what the gauge is) conduit. Asked the super if I could borrow his drill, he looked at mine, laughed, and drilled 4 silly screw holes in seconds. For the record, my building staff often find me amusing.

Santa, baby, bring me a new age drill, a chinios sieve and whatevah else I canna 'member to ask for right this minute. Already bought the metal edged sponge mop this weekend. How sad ish ish.
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

We really could have used that tent peg hack when we lived in WV and dealt with mountain ground! Now, in Florida, it's all sand we could dig to China without breaking a sweat.

Originally posted by Element 79 View Post
              Wow, you have a lot of firewood! And cool solar panels.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
                We really could have used that tent peg hack when we lived in WV and dealt with mountain ground!
                That's pretty much what we've got to deal with at Green Ridge State Forest. West Virginia is on the other side of the Potomac. It's all rocks and clay.. rocks and clay...

Comment

MacGyver, I like the idea of the long screws as an alternative to normal stakes. Will search at once.

And NYCgirl, I too am in need of a cordless variable drill and join the 21 century.

OH, and Element, even though your using a tarp as a shield for rain, I'd still tuck in your ground footprint to prevent any moisture from seeping in between it and the tent. Walking around the campgrounds I frequent, I'm amazed how many campers don't partake in that practice.

Be well people,
                  elliot

Comment

So what is the highest wind you have encountered with the screws?
                    Nights camped in 2019: 24
                    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by michelliot View Post
                      MacGyver, I like the idea of the long screws as an alternative to normal stakes. Will search at once.
                      I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
                      So what is the highest wind you have encountered with the screws?
                      I've only had them out on two trips and haven't seen anything more than a bit of rain on the last trip. But I did yank on the peg loops to check 'em out a little and they don't move. They're not quite as long as the pegs that come with the tent, but the threads have got to more than make up for that missing inch and a half or so.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. I have the Kodiak canvas VX and the absolute hardest part of setting up is pounding those long stakes into the ground. If the ground is rocky or "stiff", even worse. I am going to buy 16 of these on my next trip to Home Depot but wonder if the 1/2" X 10" version would be better for windy camping conditions or is that overkill??

Comment

Originally posted by Mick View Post
                          Thanks for posting this. I have the Kodiak canvas VX and the absolute hardest part of setting up is pounding those long stakes into the ground. If the ground is rocky or "stiff", even worse. I am going to buy 16 of these on my next trip to Home Depot but wonder if the 1/2" X 10" version would be better for windy camping conditions or is that overkill??
                          You're welcome. I haven't been out in any real wind while using the Spax bolts yet, but I really don't see the need for the larger ones. I yanked on the peg loops pretty good and they didn't move. I can't see there being a problem with weather. Having said that, someone will be out in a tornado one day and blame me because their tent collapsed because they didn't step up to larger bolts.

A bit of an update on this: I went to www.boltdepot.com and bought a bunch of extra thick stainless steel fender washers to go with the Spax. The washers they sell locally are pretty thin.

Comment

MacGyver; thanks for the idea...
                            I am forwarding it to some friends who had their campsite and tent destroyed (tent was a total loss) by high winds and hail last summer...

The bolts would likely have saved me hunting for my dome, about 20 years ago.
                            High wild had rolled it into some brush; which fortunately kept it out of the river...those wire stakes were simply not enough.
                            Since them I use military grade stakes.

High wind so far has been moderately rare but with the climate changes who knows about the future..

Enjoy!
                            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

You know, I was creeping around the spring bar website today. And they recommend a 9" nail spike for rocky terrain. Couldn't find a diameter though.
                              Nights camped in 2019: 24
                              Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Working...
                              X