whats the best cot for camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• whats the best cot for camping

Im just getting into camping probably will go sometime this winter in Florida somewhere as that is where we live. we're both seniors and would like to know what are the best cots. we were actually looking at the camptime rollacots as we only have a car so trying to conserve as mush space as possible.

Re: whats the best cot for camping

For long life the military style cots are hard (to sleep on) and hard to beat (to death)... and fairly compact; BUT can be difficult to assemble especially the first time.

I found the inexpensive Ozark trail/Walmart accordion style, with air mattress, cots to be relatively compact and relatively fragile (although mine lasted for about 4 to 6 years before the air mattress became unrepairable).

I was given a Coleman "comfort smart" folding cot (the one with springs around the edges) and can say that although it is heavy awkward and far from compact; it is more comfortable than the military style.
    http://www.coleman.com/product/comfo...2#.VkSpGuTn9pg

I recommend a thick ~ 3" foam pad for cots... much more comfortable and can't leak.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-12-2015, 09:08 AM.
    2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
    For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
    Ground tents work best for me, so far.
    Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I have the Coleman Ridgeline which is very similar to the Deluxe that Happy Joe mentioned. Mine has a 225lb capacity, has the mattress, and fits easily in there trunk of my car.
      I have hip issues, and could not tent camp if it wasn't for this cot. Mine was $60 at Walmart. You can see the mattress in the picture.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by actad; 11-12-2015, 04:14 PM.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I dunno - I just got one of the cheapest I could find - I think it was maybe $40 at Wally World. It's loads more comfortable than sleeping on the ground, and a lot easier to get in and out of. Plus I can stow gear underneath. I dunno what's the "best", but it works for me. My grandkids also sleep on it when they visit.
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

The Byer Easy Cot opens and sets up very easily and doesn't have any end bars to wrestle into place. They also pack up to a size not much larger than the common folding chairs that are everywhere. Topped with a decent self-inflating mattress (in my case a Therm-a-rest LuxuryMAP), it's every bit as comfortable as the futon I sleep on at home.

While it might not be intuitive as to how it sets up so fast, here's a video.
          https://vimeo.com/17636752
          Last edited by MacGyver; 11-15-2015, 11:12 PM.

Comment

My daughter has a Byer cot and sleeps on it with no issues. It's the lower profile (read: barely off the ground) version of what MacGyver posted and it was comfortable for me as well.
            Camping photos: https://www.instagram.com/adventure_outside_thebox/
            Nights under the stars:
            2013: 8 2014: 6 2015: 12
            2018: 4 2019: 17 2020: 15

Comment

Originally posted by sunnymw View Post
              My daughter has a Byer cot and sleeps on it with no issues. It's the lower profile (read: barely off the ground) version of what MacGyver posted and it was comfortable for me as well.
              That's the Allagash cot - I have that one as well for the smaller tents. It's just as comfortable as it's big brother.

Comment

I have the Allagash cot and find it adequate. I also have the Disc-O-Bed or Cam-O-Bunk (same thing) but it is a beast to carry and takes up quite a bit of space so not practical unless you are car camping and have a large family tent. If setting it up as bunk beds, the tent will have to be quite tall too with vertical sides. But it is very comfortable and very sturdy. We actually use it at home in a spare bedroom when we don't use it camping.

Comment

Working...
                X