Pa State Parks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pa State Parks

Just to reiterate, no one had an alcoholic beverage at or near the campsite during or before this raid by Clear Creek State Park staff..Although, I am well aware that normally having a concealed beverage quietly around the campfire is almost status quo at parks. Before arriving I had heard rumors about Clear Creek State Park and its sister park , Cook Forest State Park, from locals and made sure our site would not be consuming alcohol. The rumors concerned over zealous, above the law rangers. I have found those rumors to be true.
    That said, I always enjoy when folks who start threads take the time to let me know the outcome of those threads.
    After calling, emailing , postal mailing and FedExing letters to the park manager, his supervisor the regional manager, the state parks bureau director, two state representatives, one senator and a governor (governor never replied, three attempts) (state Rep in the parks region never replied)The three rangers and their manager have received formal (written) discipline concerning this incident and I have received a wealth of knowledge about what our rights as citizens are and to some degree how by not knowing them we give them away.
    As my previous post indicated what these men did was not legal but I could not be sure of that until learning what was legal by reading pertinent sections of the PA crimes code and vehicle law handbook.
    The Pa State Parks (DCNR) at no level informed me of my rights and refused to give specific guidelines as to what rangers can do.It appears the expected conduct changes from park to park. It’s also disappointing that it took so much effort and three months of constant pressure from 10 citizens to get this addressed.
    While I never had anything to hide I hate the idea that as a “lowly citizen” someone can revoke my rights at their whim.Worse than that is getting rid of those few bad apples in these positions is extraordinarily difficult. I believe if the very same incident occurred in the private sector action would have been swift and meaningful.
    I camped 30 plus years at PA State Parks before this incident so the chances of it happening again are probably slim, even so I have copied the sections out of the PA crimes code and vehicle law handbook addressing unwarranted searches and plan to have a review of these sections with any park staff that wants to search my belongings while video recording the entire event, noting their name, position and badge number. As I did this time I will state that I do not consent to any searches.I will then proceed through the civil court system.
    In closing, I need to say that by far most PA State Parks are absolutely wonderful places, if I hadn’t felt that way I would not have put so much effort into bringing these three men into some accountability.My recommendation to anyone is not to be rude but to know your rights and insist they be honored.Thanks for everyone’s effort and insights on this, Dave

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
      David - my apologies for sidetracking this thread, but TPLife has a reputation for this type of bullying and if he gets away with it on thread, he starts doing it on the rest.

As for your circumstances, I'd love to hear answers to the questions asked above. The description of your experience was extremely vague and not enough for anyone to provide reasonable feedback (positive or negative).
      We are longtime-residents who hunt, fish, and camp within California on State, BLM, and Federal lands and as such are keenly aware of our rights and responsibilities, "The (CA)Penal Code prohibition against carrying a loaded firearm provides an exception for a temporary residence or campsite..." We welcome contact and questions from anyone regarding activities within our Golden State.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
        We are longtime-residents who hunt, fish, and camp within California on State, BLM, and Federal lands and as such are keenly aware of our rights and responsibilities, "The (CA)Penal Code prohibition against carrying a loaded firearm provides an exception for a temporary residence or campsite..." We welcome contact and questions from anyone regarding activities within our Golden State.
        This thread has NOTHING to do with firearms at a campsite. The question is, and has always been, about search and seizure at campsites.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
          This thread has NOTHING to do with firearms at a campsite. The question is, and has always been, about search and seizure at campsites.
          Along with the fact that PA laws might by some strange twist be different than CA laws...

Comment

You're right MacGuyer, I just thought toedtoes deserved a brief comment about what I was trying to contribute with my comments about this popular issue.
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

TPLife, this thread has no mention of weapons. The OP stated that the rangers were looking for alcohol and found empty beer cans - nothing about weapons. I understand that you have a strong belief in your right to carry firearms - I'm not arguing with you about that. However, California laws regarding weapons has no bearing on search and seizure laws in Pennsylvania.

And no, this is not a personal attack. This is simply a response to your post.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Our state laws regarding temporary residences forbid search & seizure, and a variety of other actions by LEO without probably cause. Here you are always asked permission to search the area of the site, and they stand at the edge of the site and call before approaching. Surprising considering the liberal attitudes that govern here, but perhaps a holdover from an earlier era. This attitude is perhaps one good thing that our state could share with some others, especially my home Delaware Valley/Tri-state ground.

Thanks to Davidpa for carefully laying out the situation - it may be high time that it's addressed on this forum...

Comment

Last edited by NYCgrrl; 11-25-2015, 11:59 AM.
                  2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                  Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
                  X