Oklahoma Onion Burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oklahoma Onion Burgers

Saw this on "America's Test Kitchen" over the weekend and the house's peeps clamoured until I made it.

Serves 4

A mandoline makes quick work of slicing the onion thinly. Squeeze the salted onion slices until they’re as dry as possible, or they won’t adhere to the patties. These burgers are traditionally served with yellow mustard and slices of dill pickle.
    Ingredients

• 1 large onion, halved and sliced 1/8 inch thick
    • Salt and pepper
    • 12 ounces 85 percent lean ground beef
    • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
    • 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    • 4 slices American cheese (4 ounces)
    • 4 hamburger buns, buttered and toasted

Instructions

1. Combine onion and 1 teaspoon salt in bowl and toss to combine. Transfer to colander and let sit for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Using tongs, transfer onion to clean dish towel, gather edges, and squeeze onion dry. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon pepper.

2. Divide onion mixture into 4 separate mounds on rimmed baking sheet. Form beef into 4 lightly packed balls and season with salt and pepper. Place beef balls on top of onion mounds and flatten beef firmly so onion adheres and patties measure 4 inches in diameter.

3. Melt butter with oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat. Using spatula, transfer patties to skillet, onion side down, and cook until onion is deep golden brown and beginning to crisp around edges, 6 to 8 minutes. Flip burgers, increase heat to high, and cook until well browned on second side, about 2 minutes. Place 1 slice cheese on each bottom bun. Place burgers on buns, add desired toppings, and serve.

Test Kitchen Technique: Keys to Fried Onion Burgers

A few tricks helped the onions adhere to the burgers and caramelize rather than burn.
    After you’ve salted the onions and squeezed them dry, divide into four piles, place the beef patties on top, and press.

Brown the onion side over gentler medium heat. Then flip the burgers and turn up the heat to sear the beef side.

The burgers were sooooooooo good I dinna have time to take a pic. Yeeeeehup. I live w/ ravening wolves...

Gonna try freezing the burgers with the onions. Can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.

Oh and I don't have a mandoline so I just thin cut the onions w/ a sharp knife. Found it easiest to do after cutting in half thru the root end and then removing the tops and bottoms. Onion segments separated nicely.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Re: Oklahoma Onion Burgers

Why do the pictures show chopped onions, but the directions call for thin-sliced? :oops:
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
      Why do the pictures show chopped onions, but the directions call for thin-sliced? :oops:
      I noticed that as well.

But, OMG ... YUM! I am a total onion addict anyway so this is going to happen. I will chop up my onions rather than slice. I love me some caramelized onions.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
        I noticed that as well.

But, OMG ... YUM! I am a total onion addict anyway so this is going to happen. I will chop up my onions rather than slice. I love me some caramelized onions.
        Actually even though the pics kinda look like the onions are chopped they are thin sliced. Prolly looks distorted because the liquid is wrung out and it really compresses the onions. Still, I can't see why chopped onions wouldn't work, MM.

I've made these burgers twice now; once I followed the recipe to the "T" and the next time I cut back by not buttering the buns, using horseradish dill pickle slices and opting for Russian dressing over mustard and adding thin sliced tomatoes and lettuce with no cheese. Still delish!

Gonna defrost one of the frozen versions I made sometime in December or Jan. and report back on how that worked.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Yesssssssssssssssss...this version freezes well and I'm now waiting patiently for the proper market sales to make my own burger meat:cool:.
          2017:

Comment

The fact that I had to Google mandoline probably shows my culinary skill.
            - Laura
            Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by actad View Post
              The fact that I had to Google mandoline probably shows my culinary skill.
              ...music soothes the savage onion.....maybe

:didas:
              2017:

Comment

Working...
              X