On foot 1-month camping in central California

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On foot 1-month camping in central California

Hi from Los Angeles. Something I've been wanting to do for a long time is to hit the road on foot with just a backpack and head for central California during winter and camp in the complete wilderness far away from campsites for about a month. I'd like to get far away from the city lights where on a clear night sky the milk way is thick and beautiful. Yosemite would be nice, but I'm not sure my 0F sleeping bag and small tent could handle one of their colder nights, no? Also, since I'm now jobless it would help if it's free. I understand most campsites require a fee or permit, but can't anyone enter the national forest for free? Obviously they don't gate the entire forest, right?

I would greatly appreciated any help.
    Paul

Re: On foot 1-month camping in central California

National Parks do not allow dispersed camping as far as I know.

National Forests may allow dispersed camping, but you may need a wilderness permit and/or fire permit. Contact the NF ranger stations for specific info for the different forests - you can ask them for recommendations on camping spots also. If you follow the rules regarding permits, fires, etc., they are usually very helpful.

BLM (bureau of land management) usually allows dispersed camping on their property also. Again check with them directly for details.

For winter camping, most of the forest lands will be subject to cold nights. The coast is harder to find dispersed camping spots (let alone free), but the temps might be better suited for your gear.

Others can provide more advice.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Sorry to be a downer
      But a month in the woods is no easy task
      What is your outdoor background/experience?
      I reccomend spend a few nights then a week and wirk your way up to a month
      Know the land designations and regs
      Most places require permits for extended camping
      Fire regs would be first concern
      Without fire what do you plan on eating?
      Months supply of even basic food is alot to carry

Comment

What's the difference between National parks and National Forests? A National park is a place that's prepared for campers, dirt roads and open spots to park, bathrooms? That would be something I'd want to stay away from for this adventure. I'm looking to rough it. Pure forest, only animal trails, nothing manmade. A fire would nice to sit by at night, but it's not required. The stars are pretty nice in an open spot.

A wilderness permit is required just to be on national forest land in the middle of nowhere far away from anything manmade?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

I have some camping and hiking experience, but only at national parks. You know, places you pay to enter, drive in a dirt road, find a nice little dirt spot to pull up, put up a little tent, do some hiking and whatever. But that's definitely not what I want this time. Imagine looking at the entire central California national forest and picking any random spot that's farthest away from any man need place.

Comment

I've done some of the Appalachian Trail solo but not without backup. Backup meant food inventory ( you can only carry so much) and a safety net of communication in case of a health emergency at the time. I slept in various free shelters along the way but at least once a week joined my backup companion who wasn't the least bit interested in joining me, LOL, in a motel. The shower. The clean clothing. The hot food.

Priceless.

What are your plans on that level so far?
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Wilderness Trek View Post
              What's the difference between National parks and National Forests? A National park is a place that's prepared for campers, dirt roads and open spots to park, bathrooms? That would be something I'd want to stay away from for this adventure. I'm looking to rough it. Pure forest, only animal trails, nothing manmade. A fire would nice to sit by at night, but it's not required. The stars are pretty nice in an open spot.

A wilderness permit is required just to be on national forest land in the middle of nowhere far away from anything manmade?

Thanks for the help!
              Both NPs and NFs have developed campgrounds. That is what you're talking about.

What you want to do is dispersed camping. That means you are not utilizing any developed campgrounds. To do this, you need to get the rules and regulations for the NF you wish to visit. Most likely you will need a permit to do this. Call the NF office for the area you'd like to camp in and get the hard facts for that area. They can also give you ideas on camp spots that will work for what you want to do.
              “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by Wilderness Trek View Post

Thanks for the help!
                Yes, but they are usually free.

I second the advice to call your National Forest office. They are extremely helpful and supportive, in my experience in two states. They will provide you will permits you need, free maps, and very valuable advice.

Comment

A lot of folks will tell you how difficult it is to camp for a month and it is true, but you can still give it a try.

If it doesn't work out, just walk back out of the wilderness. Just don't be a dumb ass like Christopher McCandless who the movie Into The Wild was written about - you know, going unprepared into inescapable wilderness without enough supplies thus creating a "do or die" situation for yourself.

Leave a detailed itinerary with your family AND friends before you go and stick to it or advise them of changes INCLUDING letting them know if and when you come out of the woods or if you abandon your wilderness plans. Nothing like being stoned in your friend's basement for two weeks and then seeing your mom crying on television about her lost son while helicopters and search parties are in the background.
                  Last edited by Mike; 10-25-2015, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    A lot of folks will tell you how difficult it is to camp for a month and it is true, but you can still give it a try.

If it doesn't work out, just walk back out of the wilderness. Just don't be a dumb ass like Christopher McCandless who the movie Into The Wild was written about - you know, going unprepared into inescapable wilderness without enough supplies thus creating a "do or die" situation for yourself.

Leave a detailed itinerary with your family AND friends before you go and stick to it or advise them of changes INCLUDING letting them know if and when you come out of the woods
                    or if you abandon your wilderness plans. Nothing like being stoned in your friend's basement for two weeks and then seeing your mom crying on television about her lost son while helicopters and search parties are in the background.
                    Big time YES! Safety first and hoping the OP is still reading this.
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Dispersed camping is very doable. Extended periods will require some work or at least fore thought. There are rules that vary location to location. Typically how close to a road you can camp, how close to water, usually you will be required to move after 14 days and to move a minimum distance that can vary but its usually measured in miles -and often you are required to keep a minimujm distance from any 'developed campgrounds' , must use cat holes for body elimination or take it with you when you leave, fires can be restricted and wood can be an issue in some localities, sometimes there may be fees but usually a Nat Forest pass is also needed & they cost. There wont be any bathrooms, electric, or water available to you.
                      If found on the land in violation of any of the rules will at a minimum-cost you and may well get you run off, possibly arrested depending on issues involved.
                      Corps of Engineers land, BLM & Natl Forests...i believe some Parks may allow dispersed also but am not sure.

Comment

A lot depends on a variety of things. Yosemite Valley in the Winter is humid and cold. The humidity can make it very miserable. Higher up, there's less humidity.
                        The same in the San Joaquin Valley----the fog is more humid but up in the foothill area it is much more pleasant during the Winter.

The problem with back country Winter travel in the central Sierra is snow. If you're an experienced off piste skier or with snowshoes it's still dicey and I wouldn't recommend going solo.
                        In other seasons, crowds tend to be limited to well known routes---it's really not that difficult to go cross country without seeing another soul for a couple of weeks even in the National Parks.
                        There are parallel routes along the JMT/PCT you may want to look into as the JMT/PCT is crowded even with the trail quotas in place.
                        One big issue would be supplies. You can arrange with a pack outfit to resupply your vittles via mule mail if you know where you want them dropped off.
                        Living off the land is romantic, but for a full month, maybe not so much.

I hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                        X