Tents without awnings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tents without awnings

This is a thought for those of you looking for suggestions about buying tents.

I have noticed that there are still tents on the market that do not have awnings over the doors. This is especially a problem for dome or rounded style tents.

Awnings over doorways are important when it rains. Especially with dome or round shaped tents, if you do not have an awning that will keep rain off of the doorway, rain will come rolling off the ten and into the inside of the tent.

Tents with vestibules that cover the doorway seem like a good idea until it actually rains. You unzip the main cabin door. Then you unzip the vestibule of the rain fly. Rain comes strait down into your tent. The only way you can avoid this when it rains is to not go in/out of the tent and that means no toilet trips

Re: Tents without awnings

Originally posted by Mike View Post

I have noticed that there are still tents on the market that do not have awnings over the doors. This is especially a problem for dome or rounded style tents.

Awnings over doorways are important when it rains. Especially with dome or round shaped tents, if you do not have an awning that will keep rain off of the doorway, rain will come rolling off the ten and into the inside of the tent.

Tents with vestibules that cover the doorway seem like a good idea until it actually rains. You unzip the main cabin door. Then you unzip the vestibule of the rain fly. Rain comes strait down into your tent. The only way you can avoid this when it rains is to not go in/out of the tent and that means no toilet trips
    I would love to have a tent with a functioning awning but that was a design flaw of the Eureka Copper Canyon's original design. Tried putting it up once or twice and it always fell over. I think they removed it from the latest model and that of the Jade and Silver Canyon which are very similar. Of course the Silver Canyon has a vestibule.

How I get around it is to put one of my screen tent's awnings up over a door that corresponds to the sleeping tent's doorway. We can walk from one tent to the other in relative comfort.

What tents have you seen with well designed awnings, Mike?
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I wish there were tents with functional awnings as well. As much as I love my Kodiak, the awning is horrible. I've taken to setting it up backwards, with the awning in the back and rolled up. No need for an awning that, one, is known to collect water unless it's propped up in the middle and two, really isn't high enough for someone six feet tall. I have an awning that works - it's called an 18 x 24 foot tarp.

Comment

Owners of Kodiak tents..........is the awning an add on or sewn into the body of the tent?
        Does the tent maker include an adjustable awning pole so you can tilt one side or is this an add on?
        Last edited by NYCgrrl; 10-10-2015, 05:46 PM.
        2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

The awning is sewn in and comes with two poles, around six feet high. They do breakdown in half, but an adjustable pole would've been nice. That still would be a little inconvenient for tall people - the awning is already pretty low without lowering one side. If I had a way to stitch heavy canvas, I'd probably take the awning off to save some weight.
          Last edited by MacGyver; 10-10-2015, 08:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            The awning is sewn in and comes with two poles, around six feet high. They do breakdown in half, but an adjustable pole would've been nice. That still would be a little inconvenient for tall people - the awning is already pretty low without lowering one side. If I had a way to stitch heavy canvas, I'd probably take the awning off to save some weight.
            Prolly a larger dry cleaner or shoemaker (they are getting so hard to find!) have the right kind of sewing machine to stitch it. Either an industrial or commercial machine is needed as they have stronger motors. Oh and maybe an upholstery or auto interior shop has a this type of machine as well.
            2017:

Comment

One good thing about living near the Chesapeake Bay is that there are a lot of custom boat cover places who can do that kind of work. But, as long as I can just keep the awning in the back and out of sight, it really isn't all that much of an issue. If something ever happens that I need the tent repaired, there will be an awning removal will be on the work order.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post

Mike,please e-mail me back: Yvonne@gearbest.com

Comment

Working...
                X