X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After the cooking, the cleanup.

Originally posted by isoc View Post
    Thanks for all the replies!

Pre-cleaning the pans and dishes from food debris is no mystery, and I understand how to wash dishes. (I have even cleaned pots, pans and food trays at a soup kitchen for 18 months.)

What I am uneasy about is what to do with the "dirty" water after the dishes/pans are clean. Is it OK at a campground to (discreetly and with discretion) dump it on the ground nearby? - Ted
    Yanno I missed this good question whilst being a...a err well a shenaniganist:angel:

Gray water! Sure go ahead and water ground cover with it is my opinion. In much of CA it's all the rage.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I'll consider a non-stick pan for camping, but will never use it at home as if it were accidently over heated it is possible that my African Gray parrot and Cockatiel will be in distress or die. Taking no chances with them.
      Yehup! And I have a Yellow Headed Amazon who is now about...45 y/o. He still has MUCH to say just not as eloquently as your Gray.
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
        Hmm, actually...

You could create the two dish pans out of duct tape, use the coat hangers to scrape off the food, and use the vice grips as handles for the dish pans.
        See? Toed knows!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
          Yehup! And I have a Yellow Headed Amazon who is now about...45 y/o. He still has MUCH to say just not as eloquently as your Gray.
          I have a 32+ year old Mexican Red Headed Amazon and there are days I swear I'm going to stop being a vegetarian...

Fits in more with the "Senior Camping", but after being found outside in a parking lot 32 years ago, then spending 30 of those years in a cage and rarely, if ever, being allowed out of the cage, Dog-Bird now goes camping!!! He has to stay in his travel cage when we're camping, but he loves it.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
            See? Toed knows!
            I think that will be my new signature - Toed knows!
            “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Has anyone used the folding Coleman wash basin? It looks interesting but I doubt it would last very long.

Click image for larger version

Name:	61ujJtHkZzL._SX522_.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	70288

Comment

I have a 32+ year old Mexican Red Headed Amazon and there are days I swear I'm going to stop being a vegetarian...

Fits in more with the "Senior Camping", but after being found outside in a parking lot 32 years ago, then spending 30 of those years in a cage and rarely, if ever, being allowed out of the cage, Dog-Bird now goes camping!!! He has to stay in his travel cage when we're camping, but he loves it.
                Yeah those parrots can have that effect on ya. I've had nabes look at me suspiciously about the "child" or "dog" who is nevah seen outside but can be heard 10 floors down and a block and a half away. Hopefully my voice doesn't carry quite as far when I threaten him with a Thanksgiving centerpiece end...oops.
                2017:

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                  Has anyone used the folding Coleman wash basin? It looks interesting but I doubt it would last very long.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5142[/ATTACH]
                  Gonna check the specs now. Never seen it in action but it sure looks interesting.....
                  2017:

Comment

The cockatiel I've had for over 15 years, since he came from the breeder. We got the Grey as a "used bird" 17 years old, 5 years ago. The previous owner thought he was a he, but "he" laid two eggs after moving in with us, so she has proved she's a she.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Paul, the way I see it and it's 512 reviews (Whoa! what have I been missing, lol!) if you know you're camping in an area with no wash up facilities the price is right for an experiment. Were I in the design studio when they were thinking it up I'd prefer a rounder shaped container for maximum access to most dishes' and pots'; a side plug to release the water on both sides and maybee slightly longer handles.
                      2017:

Comment

I grew up with a Scarlett Macaw. A new neighbor moved in and I went to babysit for her and she asked "I'm afraid to ask, but do you have a parrot?" I said yes and asked why she was afraid to ask - she thought maybe there was someone in the family who wasn't quite "all there" and she didn't want to be insensitive.

I got Dog-Bird 2.5 years ago with his sister for 28 years, a Severe Macaw. She passed away from cancer just over 2 years ago and I was real worried that he would be lonely. But he has adopted his new flock, Moose-Dog and Bat-Dog, and has taken to camping. He even eats barbeque potato chips - but only when we're camping.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5142[/ATTACH]
                          Hmmm, it looks surprisingly like I was imagining MacGyver's duct tape and vise version.

I'd probably just go with regular dish pans or plastic storage boxes - that way they could be used to lug stuff the rest of the time. At least for car camping.

Comment

I rarely even use pans while camping. I cook everything in / on heavy duty tin foil, then eat on paper plates that go into the fire. Easy-peasy. When in a camper, I do cook in a crock pot with disposable liners.

Comment

The cockatiel I've had for over 15 years, since he came from the breeder. We got the Grey as a "used bird" 17 years old, 5 years ago. The previous owner thought he was a he, but "he" laid two eggs after moving in with us, so she has proved she's a she.
                              Hehehe on the sex. Soul was originally a gift to my mother and in later years he came to live with me. We always referred to him in the masculine form until a vet preformed surgery on him in the '90's. Uhhhhhh we were right! You've some beautiful and well behaved feather beings. I'm thinking of getting a cockatiel for my granddaughter (AKA the Princess) but must consult w/ the parrot first. He dinna like the cockatiels we had in the past, ignored one 'keet and found the last parakeet worthy of a friendship.

You'd think after all these years I'd have a better pic of Soul but well the truth be known I needed to have some one call me "Noonie" to care about recording life's moments. The Princess fit the bill and as I tell her she's the only being I know who the bird has taken to immediately and unconditionally.

Originally posted by MountainMama View Post
                              I rarely even use pans while camping. I cook everything in / on heavy duty tin foil, then eat on paper plates that go into the fire. Easy-peasy. When in a camper, I do cook in a crock pot with disposable liners.
                              Hobo packs! Love em to the nth and don't they just resolve many clean up concerns?:cool:.
                              I never knew crock pot liners existed until some cyber friends of another site acquainted me w/ em. 'Course they also tried to convince me we could go snipe hunting if I ever passed their way but when I realised they were pulling my leg I offered to sell them a bridge...
                              Last edited by NYCgrrl; 10-10-2015, 02:57 AM.
                              2017:

Comment

I thought about taking our birds on a camping trip, they have travel cages OK. But I'm not sure what to do if we "take a hike" for a few hours. I'd be nervous about leaving them alone in or by our tent while we're gone.

- Ted

Comment

Working...
                                X