Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: After the cooking, the cleanup.

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
    This is one of the main reasons I still deal with non-stick cookware for camping. They're a bit of a pain because they require more care to keep from getting scratched, you have to use non-metal utensils, but they clean up very easily with a bit of hot soapy water, a nylon scrub pad and a bit of hot water rinse. Since we're all a bunch of pyromaniacs and always have a fire going, I always clean and rinse everything at the edge of the fire ring. That way any food residue gets burned up. My plates are stainless steel and they clean up the same way.
    I don't believe them at all about non stick pans so own none and just use CI. Still I bet your pans weigh less than mine though.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by isoc View Post
      By the way, I'm not too serious about using plastic plates and forks and spoons, as my wife will wash them anyhow! So its most likely stuff from home or another trip to Field and Stream.
      Hehehehe....I'm with your wife; plastic forks and knives are washed until they break.
      2017:

Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by NYCgrrl View Post
        Guessing that means you can't wash dishes in the shower either...and yes I saw the aftermath of someone doing that once. The truly tacky part was the place HAD a kitchen sink and they just couldn't wait. Some people.

They were from California and were just practicing good water conservation.
        “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I'm lazy - non-stick is easy to clean, so that's what I get. If I die from it, at least I didn't spend my life doing the pots and pans.
          “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

MIke, what is that on the red checkered tablecloth? There is just not enough detail in the image for me to tell what it/they is/are. - Ted
            Those are racoon paw prints.

Comment

Guessing that means you can't wash dishes in the shower either...and yes I saw the aftermath of someone doing that once. The truly tacky part was the place HAD a kitchen sink and they just couldn't wait. Some people.
              Ya, some people just do not have any common sense. Washing pots/pans in the shower is one of them. Another pet peeve of mine are people who leave dirty diapers in fire pits and especially cigarettes all around the campsite. These days, smoking is getting so rare that the problem is fixing itself. Still, there are few things as filthy as cigarette smokers. When they smoke, they foul up the air for many campsites around them and then they have the filthy custom of just tossing their cigarette butts wherever they may fall. Smoking is rapidly on the way out and good riddance.

"PLEASE STAY HOME, MADAM. YOUR FAMILY NEEDS YOU THERE AND SO DO WE."
              Last edited by Mike; 10-08-2015, 06:24 PM.

Comment

I don't believe them at all about non stick pans so own none and just use CI. Still I bet your pans weigh less than mine though.
                I'm still doing my "carpacking" and trying to keep all my gear as light as possible (without sacrificing comfort!). Believe me - come the day I'm in a trailer, the Lodge will find its way into the woods!

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                  Ya, some people just do not have any common sense. Washing pots/pans in the shower is one of them. Another pet peeve of mine are people who leave dirty diapers in fire pits and especially cigarettes all around the campsite. These days, smoking is getting so rare that the problem is fixing itself. Still, there are few things as filthy as cigarette smokers. When they smoke, they foul up the air for many campsites around them and then they have the filthy custom of just tossing their cigarette butts wherever they may fall. Smoking is rapidly on the way out and good riddance.

"PLEASE STAY HOME, MADAM. YOUR FAMILY NEEDS YOU THERE AND SO DO WE."
                  Halloween came early this year?:D
                  2017:

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    Those are racoon paw prints.
                    Thanks! - Ted

Comment

A couple of Granite Gear kitchen sinks, a travel size spray bottle, bandanna, Camp Suds, small ripper scraper. I put a couple of drops of camp suds in the spray bottle add an ounce or so of water. Heat water on the stove and put in this sinks. I throughly scrape food from all dishes and put in trash. Lightly spray soap onto the dishes and wipe with bandanna rinse in sinks. Cast iron skillet gets scrubbed with a couple drops of oil and salt. I hang a mesh laundry bag from the picnic table and put the dishes in it to dry.

Comment

And... if you are just going for a few days of car camping - wipe down as much as you can, wrap it in trash bags, put it in an unused cooler, and bring everything home to wash up.
                        - Laura
                        Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Thanks all for your insights and suggestions.

We'll only camp for a few days at a time to start, anyhow, until we get some experience. In fact the first campground I'm thinking of is only 35 minutes from home, and 17 minutes from an upscale regional mall, and a Cracker Barrel. But we can go there to eat anytime, I would not want to camp and then go the mall for meals unless something really weird happened. (The mall also has a Dicks and Cabelas, in case we suddenly realized our first time out we wanted to get something we hadn't thought of.)

As there are only two of us, and we don't eat the big meals we ate 40 years ago when we were in our 20's, we don't need to cook a lot, just a little, while camping--as we do at home. Some places three meals a day at camp, but at other campgrounds, like on South Bass Island (Put-In-Bay) one of the reasons to go there is to eat at the touristy restaurants and visit the wineries, so we may only eat at camp once a day, there.... but there will be snacks, and we'll need coffee or tea to go with the tourist-fudge! - Ted

Comment

Thanks all for your insights and suggestions.

We'll only camp for a few days at a time to start, anyhow, until we get some experience. In fact the first campground I'm thinking of is only 35 minutes from home, and 17 minutes from an upscale regional mall, and a Cracker Barrel. But we can go there to eat anytime, I would not want to camp and then go the mall for meals unless something really weird happened. (The mall also has a Dicks and Cabelas, in case we suddenly realized our first time out we wanted to get something we hadn't thought of.)

As there are only two of us, and we don't eat the big meals we ate 40 years ago when we were in our 20's, we don't need to cook a lot, just a little, while camping--as we do at home. Some places three meals a day at camp, but at other campgrounds, like on South Bass Island (Put-In-Bay) one of the reasons to go there is to eat at the touristy restaurants and visit the wineries, so we may only eat at camp once a day, there.... but there will be snacks, and we'll need coffee or tea to go with the tourist-fudge! - Ted
                            Smart to camp close to home and civilisation the first times out:cool:. Who knows what adventures it will lead to and new knowledge of familiar places?

For the past 9 years, at least once a year, I've been camping at the same place and I never tire of it. It's only 100 miles from my home but has a different feel, foliage and landscape. We travel in a 200 mile radius from the camp whilst there and find other places to explore and rarely are bored. I say rarely because that locale/trip I travel with children and they can be moody.

This year my work needs have changed and I can finally move further afield. I plan to return to upstate NY next summer and better enjoy my home state. Which reminds me I need to set my phone's alarm to notify me of the reservation window.

Keep having fun out there!
                            2017:

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                              They were from California and were just practicing good water conservation.
                              :he:
                              Youse will be happy to know I finally relocated the multi-quote button (it's at the bottom right corner in case you forgot as well). Amazing how the mind can forget stuff.
                              2017:

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                                This is one of the main reasons I still deal with non-stick cookware for camping. They're a bit of a pain because they require more care to keep from getting scratched, you have to use non-metal utensils, but they clean up very easily with a bit of hot soapy water, a nylon scrub pad and a bit of hot water rinse. Since we're all a bunch of pyromaniacs and always have a fire going, I always clean and rinse everything at the edge of the fire ring. That way any food residue gets burned up. My plates are stainless steel and they clean up the same way.
                                Yes, I agree but I MUST have my cast iron skillet. I do bring a non-stick griddle and sometimes a non-stick wok as well. It is also a dream of mine to procure a really, really good dutch oven someday. Anyway, if you are careful about not overcooking or cooking on too high a heat, clean-up even on cast iron can be as simple as wiping out with a dry cloth or paper towel if it is well-cured.
                                Last edited by Force10JC; 10-09-2015, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X