Gravity Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gravity Light

So there is a product being used over in Africa where electricity is hard to come by. It uses the weight of objects to charge a light, while the entire system is hanging. This product doesn't put out incredible light, but might it be a good solution to long term backpacking trips? Every time you set up camp, you could set up the light and use it rather than needing to pack plenty of batteries or make sure a solar lamp gets enough sun. What do y'all think?

Re: Gravity Light

IT would depend on the specs - I'm thinking this is piezo or something like that. I'm not terribly fond of batteries myself.
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

The gravity light appears to be a weight powered version of a crank generator with, apparently, a single LED.
      Personally, I will stick with rechargeable NiMh AAs and a solar charger, or even a back-packable solar panel/w Li-Ion power pack (Tried this, don't personally care for it, but it gives more options than a gravity light).

I suspect they are fudging their numbers when they claim 5 times the light of a kerosene lamp (different wick widths/types give different light outputs and there is no way that a gravity light 01 could compete in light output with an Aladdin mantle lamp (~the light output of a 50+watt incandescent bulb))... most likely they are comparing the light with a twist of string or candle wick sized oil lamp; they don't say so the claim is suspect, IMO.
      A gravity light might compare with an old style single candle Uco lamp (mine retired years ago in favor of LEDs) but since the site does not give lumen or candle power numbers, that I could find; I would take it with a grain of salt.

Enjoy!
      Last edited by Happy Joe; 11-17-2015, 08:39 AM.
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

I still use my "old style single candle Uco lamp"!
        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Mine sits on the museum shelf along with the match safe and about the last of the strike anywhere matches.

Enjoy!
          Attached Files
          2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
          For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
          Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
            Mine sits on the museum shelf along with the match safe and about the last of the strike anywhere matches.
            I've got a museum piece of my own. I used to take this 500 candlepower beast out. It put Coleman lanterns to shame as bright as it is, but it was way too much glare in the face. It's so well made and so pretty, I can't bring myself to get rid of it, so it sits collecting dust. Kinda dumb...

Comment

Which Colemans Macgyver? LIke maybe our two little Model 288s. On the other hand, our Coleman Northstar is brighter. From the Coleman Candlepower Forum:

-222 Peak One (125CP)
              -222A; 222B; 226; 229; 3022 (125CP);
              -3025 (125cp)
              -214; 214A; 222 Colmax; 234 (175 CP)
              -241; 241A (200 - 250)
              -241B (200-250CP)
              -242; 252; 252A; 282; 285(220 CP)
              -286; 286A; 288 (220CP)
              -241G; 243 (250CP)
              -All the Quick Lite models; 200; 201; 218; 220 all versions (300CP)
              -The Sun, (2 × 10500 CP)
              -223; 225; 228 (All variations)(300CP)
              -242 (All variations except A); 246; 247; 249 (All variations)(300CP)
              -275; 275A; 290; 290A; 295; 331; 335; 321 (All variations) (300CP)
              -325; 325A; 333 (Colmax); 335(350CP)
              -339 (350CP)
              -206 (550CP);
              -236; 237; 238B; 555 Colmax; (500CP)
              -621 (All variations)(550CP)
              -625 (All variations); 635; 635A (550CP); 635B (550CP)
              -639 (All variations); (550CP)
              -2000 Northstar (550 CP)
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

OK - I'll amend that to say all but the "common" two-mantle Coleman lanterns. Personally, I've never seen a Coleman as bright as the Brytelit - even a Northstar. But, then again, I've never bothered to look at the different model numbers. I've probably owned over a dozen different Colemans over the years, my friends at least another dozen, and nothing's come close to the output of my nickel plated beauty.

Comment

Seems ingenious.
                  https://vimeo.com/128802766
                  - Laura
                  Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Neat idea, but it looks like a lot of work for the light it puts out. It also looks pretty bulky. Unless I was backpacking for a few months, away from any trace of civilization, I can't see that light as a viable option. LED lanterns and flashlights run almost forever on AA and AAA batteries and they're a lot smaller.

Comment

I like that Brytelit, MacGyver (I have a soft spot for Olde stuff).

I second your thoughts on backpacking LED lights and AA/AAA batteries (I use rechargeables; tried a lithium power pack, but AA & AAA are a better fit for me).

I tried bright mantle lanterns for Jeep camping but they always seem to glare in someone's eyes... went to electric lighting for the comfort (~450 to 500 lumens in a soft white 2700 to 3000 K color temperature seems about right for a medium large tent light).

Here's another item from the museum shelf; a 1/2 inch wick railroad lantern. Its not bright but is nearly impossible for the wind to blow out.
                      Enjoy!
                      Attached Files

Comment

To help put lumens and lighting in perspective here is some info that I posted on another forum some years ago;
                        Note; the LED bulb info and likely some of the lantern info has probably changed since...

I was curious so I did some internet searching for the relative light outputs of some common, and less than common, lighting sources that might be used post disaster;
                        lamp-----------------------------------------------------lumen (light output)
                        Philips 22 watt 110 volt LED "bulb"-------------------~1780
                        100 watt incandescent bulb 110 volt------------------~1600
                        Coleman propane Northstar lantern---------------------1540
                        Coleman dual fuel Powerhouse model-------------------1107 two mantle
                        Coleman Perfect Flow propane lantern-------------------967 two mantle
                        Paulin-Humphrey Propane Lights, interior only, 70 watt equivalent (one mantle)
                        Coleman Premium dual fuel lantern----------------------867 two mantle
                        60 watt incandescent (110 V AC)-----------------around 800 varies by brand
                        Aladdin mantle lamp "pure white light equal to a 60-watt incandescent bulb" (per an old Real Goods catalogue)
                        12-15 watt CFL (110 V AC)------------------------------~720-1005 varies by brand
                        9.8 watt LED bulb 110 volt--------------------------------800 (Lowe's)
                        Coleman Twin High Powered LED lantern----------------580
                        40 watt 110 volt incandescent bulb--------------------~450
                        Ray-o-vac SE3DLN Sportsman LED lantern--------------240 (often listed as 300 lumen) 3 D cell
                        Coleman Quad LED lantern-------------------------------190
                        Coleman 8D Rugged LED lantern-------------------------190
                        hurricane/kerosene lamp-----------------------------------67-82 (22 mm flat wick)
                        hurricane/kerosene lamp-----------------------------------28-48 (12 mm flat wick)
                        oil lamp-------------------------------------------------------7.8 (4mm round wick)

Enjoy!
                        Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-10-2015, 09:11 AM. Reason: remove 2 mantle from Northstar

Comment

For anyone still confused, 1 candlepower = 12.57 lumens.
                          I've never seen a NORTHSTAR lantern with TWO mantles, but well, whatever.
                          Last edited by tplife; 12-09-2015, 01:37 PM.
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                            I've got a museum piece of my own. I used to take this 500 candlepower beast out. It put Coleman lanterns to shame as bright as it is, but it was way too much glare in the face. It's so well made and so pretty, I can't bring myself to get rid of it, so it sits collecting dust. Kinda dumb...

Wow, that is a pretty lantern. I know what you mean about glare, though. The old has lamps put out a lot of light, but a lot of it was not usable light.

Comment

"I've never seen a NORTHSTAR lantern with TWO mantles, but well, whatever. "

Just shows how reliable internet info is...
                              ...Info was from the internet (lumen number, for Coleman products, was from the Coleman site).

Enjoy!

(edit My understanding is that candle power and lumens are not easily convertible without a lot of very technical manipulation/measurements although I suppose that for talking purposes 12.5 is as good a approximate conversion number as any... I just use lumens, as it seems to be the most generally available on product packaging.

Enjoy!
                              Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-10-2015, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X