Weight Dist. Bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Dist. Bars

Hello fellow campers, New to the trailer life! Had a pop up and moved up to a travel trailer (23' pull behind) Curious if anyone can give some advice on weight dist. bars? Pulling with a 2002 Ford Explorer 4x4, seems to want to bounce in front end like I have too much weight on truck. Have weight balanced in trailer, not overloaded in truck or trailer. Curious best way to hook up weight bars, do I need to hook up trailer, then jack up raising truck above level point and then attach weight bars. Needing some help, any suggestions?? Also any fav's for camping within reasonable drive from Louisville. Thanks in advance for any advice! Prowler!!-- In B-burg, KY

Sorry.. We are strictly car camping and hiking... No trailer knowledge here...

Also - I am not sure how active this forum really is. The dates seem to be somewhat stale...
    Camping gear at http://www.miserlymonkey.com

Comment

When hooking up trailer wieght distribution bars you must first attach the hitch securley and raise the tounge of the trailer up, causing the vehicle's rear end to raise as well. This will give you much less tension when attaching the chains from the bars to the tounge of the trailer before locking them in place. My rule of thumb when attaching the chains from the bars to the tounge of the trailer is to leave three links haning. This has always worked out best for our 23 ft jayco Kiwi. Also, for days with minimal wind resistance try using a sway control device. Hope this helps!
      "Survival isn't learned overnight" ~XXXMoonshineXXX~
      sigpic

Comment

Short wheelbase vehicles like Jeeps, Broncos, Blazers and such, are not really the best tow vehicles. They are not as stable as longer pickup trucks. It's all a matter of weights and leverages.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I had Reese WD bars, when we had a trailer. Like Waterfowler84 says, you hook-up the trailer, then use the tongue jack to level out your vehicle so you can attach the bars. WD bars and an anti-sway hitch are essential items - so don't try and get by without them. A good friend of mine got into some sway, towing with a 1-ton LWB pickup, so it can happen to anyone.

Your Explorer (just like my Expedition did) will feel a bit soft or "squishy" because it has passenger car tires. If you replace them with LT tires, which have much stiffer sidewalls, it will tow better.

Good luck!

Comment

Hi Guys,

Good to see there are some other trailer guys out there. I am not sure how pertinent this is for the original poster thought since his post is from 2005.

However, I just bought a travel trailer (last week) and the recommendation on how to use the WD bars was explained much more effectively than the salesman at CW did. He told me we have set it with one link and that is how you want to set it from now on.

Comment

We hook up and then use the tongue jack to raise the truck and the camper ABOVE level in order to hook the chains on the bars up. Then lower it down and tighten the bars.

Comment

Re: Weight Dist. Bars

Anyone ever hear of timbren system

Comment

Working...
                X