Vintage Mint Canvas Tent, Florida Camping Season is Soon! - $400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vintage Mint Canvas Tent, Florida Camping Season is Soon! - $400

Beautiful cotton canvas tent of blue with green trim around side windows and awnings, white canvas roof and having the original poles. This is a large tent at 10 feet by almost 14 feet and is a joy to camp in. I bought it from the original owner, a baby-boomer child whose parents took them all camping in this tent. They took immaculate care of it, always putting it away dry and with the floor swept out first.

I camped in it and had no problem setting it up by myself, but it is easier with another person. The tent drew attention, so a fellow was happy to help me. The side poles should go on first, then the center pole gets raised last. Always place a tarp under a tent to protect the floor from moisture and possible rough spots. Tuck the tarp back under the tent to keep any rain run-off from pooling on it. On the inside, I placed a few rag rugs under cot and table feet and where I would walk. I kept a rug outside the door and always left my shoes out there - Tent Rule #1 for visitors. By the way, this is a heavy cotton canvas floor, not the later poly-coated tarp-like floor.

All the zippers work well, all the screens are great, and NO creatures can get in when that door is zippered shut! There is a lot of ventilation from the two rear windows, the two side windows and the front window. The side windows have built-in awnings that keep out rain but allow air flow. The front awning allows shade protection as well. The tent was factory water-proofed many moons ago and has that oiled canvas smell known to this era of tents - a wonderful, nostalgic reminder of quality-made items. There is one very small hole in the lower right corner of a side wall (see photo where light coming through shows that little hole). The previous owners ran an electric cord through it. I put a piece of duct tape over it, so it is still accessible.

The tent weighs 50 lbs. in the Walmart 30 gallon Sterilite container, which is included. That container is 34" x 20" x 15" and is a perfect storage box. The poles weigh 20 lbs.in a double cardboard container, one inside the other. Contact me with any questions at all. Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	72859Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM0001.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	72860

Re: Vintage Mint Canvas Tent, Florida Camping Season is Soon! - $400

What kind of mint? Spearmint, maybe?
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Julep.

Comment

Perfect for backpacking, just 70 pounds, and ideal for those who clearly need to "get away from it ALL". And at the end of a day setting this up by yourself, ease your aching back by watching critters push the duct tape aside for easy entry in the "critter door". You only need to set it up once, because trust me, you'll NEVER want to set it up again...
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
          What kind of mint? Spearmint, maybe?

Julep.

Comment

Actually, it weighs 45 lbs, which I do not find unreasonable nor unmanageable. I have 4 canvas tents, love them all.
            The "critter door" is not even an inch across; it was enough to run an electric cord through it. I can sew a canvas patch on there, if need be.
            Tent camping is for people who know they are going to have to do some work to set up, not for people prone to aching backs.
            I like the security of canvas around me, particularly in rain. They don't leak as long as no one has washed the original water-proofing away. You gotta buy one that has NO mildew, though, cuz that cannot be cleaned, to my knowledge.
            And, of course, a positive attitude and manners towards others is the best attitude to be able to handle whatever comes up. Capiche?

Comment

Working...
            X