Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firewood for cookout? Deschutes national forest

Hi everybody. Newbie here...

I am going to be staying out in deschutes national forest next month.

Just wondering if there are any good woods to cook with out there? Seems like it's all pine & cedar, which I understand are no good for cooking?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: Firewood for cookout? Deschutes national forest

The pine and juniper both are OK for cooking, but you want to use coals rather than flames. I like to keep part of the fire in new stuff buring down, and part of it in coals pulled over to the side to cook on.

Both pine and cedar will soot up your pots and pans. The lore is it actually helps the pans heat up faster, so trying to keep them clean and shiny is not only a drag, but counter-productive, at least you your frame of mind.

The cedar (probably Juniper?) makes for amzing smelling camp fires. If you're out for long, its the best to make general fires with and will work as mountain deodorant. I miss having juniper fires from when I was in Az.

Comment

That makes sense. Not too concerned about how my pots & pans look.

Can't wait to head out there!

Thanks!

The pine and juniper both are OK for cooking, but you want to use coals rather than flames. I like to keep part of the fire in new stuff buring down, and part of it in coals pulled over to the side to cook on.

Both pine and cedar will soot up your pots and pans. The lore is it actually helps the pans heat up faster, so trying to keep them clean and shiny is not only a drag, but counter-productive, at least you your frame of mind.

The cedar (probably Juniper?) makes for amzing smelling camp fires. If you're out for long, its the best to make general fires with and will work as mountain deodorant. I miss having juniper fires from when I was in Az.

Comment

That makes sense. I don't care all that much about how my pots & pans look.

Can't wait to head out there.

Thanks!

Comment

To protect pots and pans from blackening, just rub them with dish soap before you go, it makes it easier to scrub them clean - though I don't care if mine get blackened. As far as the wood, pine and cedar are just fast burners and don't burn as hot as oak does, stop at a store nearby your camping area to purchase some supplemental wood. I just to back from north eastern Oregon (Hells Canyon area) and started a fire for my buddies who were riding the Cycle Oregon Tour - they hit rain and were almost hypothermic, I needed to start a fire to help them dry out all their clothes before they could continue. They were back on the road warmed and much drier within an hour.

Comment

Originally posted by Malamute View Post

This is sure good advice from an experienced camper Malamute. One thing to note is that some pine and cedar can be sappy, even when you get downed wood. This sappy suet can cling to your pots and be sticky and nasty when you pack up to leave.

You can apply dish soap to the outside of your pots and let it dry before you leave home. This will make clean up a lot easier. Of course, if you wash your pots at camp, you have to re-apply the soap for the next cook time.

Bring some plastic bags to put your sticky pots and pans in when you pack up to leave. The first cleaning should be in the dishwasher because dishwashing machine soap is really pretty good at getting rid of suet. After that, if you want to clean up your pots, oven cleaner works pretty good. The best of all, however is to put liquid dish soap on the outside of your pots BEFORE you use them.

You know, pine, cedar, and other softwoods burn so fast that you have to question the wisdom of having a fire at all. Softwoods burn hot, and it takes a lot of fuel. Like burning rolls of toilet paper.

I would suggest cooking on a gas stove and for the ambiance of a fire, learn how to make a Swedish Torch Fire. A Swedish Torch fire provides light and warmth and last a LOT longer than other types of fires.

Here is a YouTube video of a guy doing a real traditional Swedish Torch Fire in a cold wet swamp with green wood and vines. If he can do it under those conditions, you can do it too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFKzvWDeiFc
            Last edited by Mike; 10-03-2015, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X