Knives and Hatchets or Axes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knives and Hatchets or Axes

I was wondering, other than a kitchen knife, do you carry a knife while you are backpacking? What about hatchets?? Have a favorite? Im in the market and would like to hear what you have and your experience with your equipment. Im thinking of getting a Cold Steel 6" fixed blade knife to help with around the campsite chores, and have hear many talk of having a hatchet being even more important. Im looking at the Transfers Bruks Wildlife Hatchet, which does not look too big or too small. Any ideas? Thanks

Re: Knives and Hatchets or Axes

What knife you use depends a lot on how much you want to maintain it. Carbon steel is better at retaining an edge and being sharpened but it must be wiped off constantly and kept oiled. If you are in a really humid climate or wet conditions like I am in East Texas they could rust in a matter of hours if not properly maintained. I actually forced a patina on the one pictured below using hot apple cider vinegar. This will inhibit rust on carbon steel but not completely. Carbon steel blades are great for many all-purpose duties like cutting rope or paracord, feather-sticking wood for firestarting, notching a make-shift tent stake out of wood, or I've even seen people split smaller pieces of wood into kindling with carbon steel bushcraft or survival style knives.

Stainless steel is great because it doesn't rust but it is a harder metal than carbon steel and is not as good at holding an edge. It's hardness also means more work to get it to the same edge as carbon steel. It's great in the camp kitchen or if you decide to go fishing during your trip. You can also do the same things with this steel as I mentioned above for carbon steel but it will dull faster.

I have been able to do without a hatchet at the places I've been car camping but do plan to purchase one in the near future. I do always bring good, sharp knives and would also bring them if I were backpacking. Here are two that I bring with me on camping trips. I find it is not feasible for me to carry one knife that does it all but I do find that I can do 99.9% of the things I want to do camping with these two.

Mora Companion Heavy Duty carbon steel

Mora Bushcraft Forest sandvik stainless steel

Last edited by Force10JC; 09-15-2015, 07:10 AM.

Comment

I have a mora hd companion as well. I really like it. The only complaint is the rounded spline. Can't use a fire steel on it.
      I really like my husqvarna hatchet as well. Like 30 on amazon.
      Nights camped in 2019: 24
      Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
        I have a mora hd companion as well. I really like it. The only complaint is the rounded spline. Can't use a fire steel on it.
        I really like my husqvarna hatchet as well. Like 30 on amazon.
        I have heard that complaint about the rounded spline before but for the $15 I paid for it, I can file the spline flat with minimal effort. It's not like I didn't know this when I bought it. Mora sells their Bushcraft Black with the spline ground.

Comment

I thought about getting the "light my fire" mora, but I have found that I really, really like the fire steels from firesteels.com and they come with a striker.
          Anyways, I think a mora knife is a good camping/backpacking knife. Paired with a hatchet and you should be good from hammering in tent stakes to splitting small stuff for a fire. Watch youtube video's on hatchet's and knives. There are about 14 million video's on each out there. Plus Amazon reviews to.
          Nights camped in 2019: 24
          Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

The best all round cutting hand tool is a good quality axe. An axe can act as a knife, but a knife cannot act as an axe. Of course, in today's world, you can have BOTH a knife and an axe.

A full 3 lb head axe with a long handle is not practical for backpacking, but it is for car camping. A hatchet is impractical, dangerous, and not worth the weight to carry. If you are considering a hatchet, get a folding saw instead.

A good compromise from a full size axe is a Hudson Bay axe with a 2.5 lb head and a medium size handle. These are sometimes called Forest axe or "small forest axe". The Hudson Bay/Forest axe is only 1 lb less weight than a full size axe, but a little more compact for carrying and it does the job.

The best axes are hand forged in Sweden. Buy the best axe you can afford. You will quickly notice the difference in axe quality. If you have a cheap axe and then swing a high quality axe, you will instantly have buyers remorse for the cheap axe and will have axe envy for those who have nice axes. No matter what any brochure or advertisement or review says, no matter what brand, DO NOT BUY ANY AXES OR AXE HEADS MADE IN CHINA or you will be eternally remorseful.

In my experience, stainless blades do not have as good a bite as hand forged blades like those from Sweden. As a very general rule, shiny blades are to stay away from as are single forged axes where the head and handle are one solid piece of metal.

Axe handles are as important as axe heads. Study up on selecting good axe handles. IF hardwood, the grain and balance of the handle is critical.

Of course, Gransfors Bruks, Wetterlings, Hultafors, Husqvarna are well known high quality axes. If you shop around, you can find some good deals on these fine axes. Husqvarna usually is a very good value with prices for their Forest axe being around $70 if you shop around.

Last edited by Mike; 09-16-2015, 05:12 AM.

Comment

I can add a different perspective...
              There are Ax people and non ax people, IMO (no offence intended)... use and carry what you find works best for you.

When backpacking (less and less frequently, as I get more, and more, antique, unfortunately).
              Keeping the pack light results in a more enjoyable trip, IMO.
              For trimming firewood to length a Svensaw or other bow saw is less work for me. It is lighter than any chopper that I have tried, except a quite small tomahawk and more easily processes wood up to 6", or slightly bigger, in diameter (carrying trees bigger than this back to camp is no longer practical for me).
              Note; I do not try to build log cabins when backpacking, nor process cords of wood; backpacking is a form of travel, stopping overnight; rarely in one place for more than 2-3 nights.
              I do not cut trees down (although I do occasionally push over standing dead snags). Seasoned deadwood burns better than green/living wood in any case.

Far from being a knife elitist; any blade that works well, is easy to sharpen and capable of holding a shaving edge works for me.
              A SAK (Swiss Army Knife) Victornox Tinker, is the biggest pocket knife/toolkit that rides well in my pocket for everyday use as well as camping.
              As a second choice/backup, a larger knife is either a lock back folder in the 3 to 3.5 in blade length range or a small to medium (less than 6") fixed blade.
              Moras, as mentioned, are probably one the best, inexpensive knives for camping.
              Virtually all of my knife work is food related, cooking, occasionally cleaning game in season.

As far as pounding in tent stakes; when necessary (it is often not) a small (8oz) hammer works fairly well as does any fist sized rock (which you do not have to carry in/out).

Enjoy!
              Last edited by Happy Joe; 12-18-2015, 11:11 AM.
              2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
              For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
              Ground tents work best for me, so far.
              Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Any time I am 'in the field' I carry a good fixed blade knife and a short hatchet. I have several different makes of each, and take each on different outings. The one knife I carry most often is my KABAR. Just cannot beat it. My current favorite hatchet is a small lightweight "Marbles Safety Hand Axe", with a swing-away blade guard. Since much of my camping is by motorcycle, this keeps it safe in my gear bag. It has a good leather sheath for belt carry too.
                I do not expect to be felling trees or be building large shelter, so I do not equip for it. My needs are for getting tinder and small wood for a smallish fire.
                Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog57 View Post
                  My current favorite hatchet is a small lightweight "Marbles Safety Hand Axe", with a swing-away blade guard.
                  That's a nice tool! I'd never heard of them, so I did a little some Internettin' and see that they've been around for a long time - some of the collectibles I saw on eBay run into the hundreds.
                  As for me...
                  The steel is relatively soft so I have to carry sharpening stones to keep them sharp, but I love my Estwing hatchets. Despite Mike's words to the contrary, I really like that they're made in one piece so there's no handle to break. In fact, because the handles are so narrow, overstrikes aren't a concern at all. I've had the leather handle axe for at least 20 - 25 years and it's still good to go.

Also, depending on what trip I'm going on, I have two Fiskars axes for splitting, the X27 and X11. I prefer these to the heavy maul type splitters because I'm getting old and lazy and don't like swinging that much weight anymore. It doesn't hurt that these things seem to fly through wood - even some with knots that have hung up the old axes.
                  Last edited by MacGyver; 12-19-2015, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I paid $25 for my recent production Marble's. They have excellent knives of many designs too. An old American-Made company still in business and keeping their customers happy. I have my late Dad's old full-tang rubber-handled hatchet, that is made like an Estwing, but I have no idea of the make. It's at least forty years old and just needs cleaned up and sharpened. No sheath, so I need to make or find one that fits.
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

There are custom knife makers in every State, any of them either make sheathes or know people who do. If i was home i could help more. I worked in the gun & knife industry for awhile. There is an annual publication called Knives-(w the applicable year in the title, eg. knives 2004...). Those books have a fairly comprehensive listing of Custom Makers by State in the back pages, excellent resource but unfortunately mine are in storage & at our hunt cabin in No. Wisc.....i wont be back there till Spring.
                      Fwiw alot of the old Randles, the handles were compressed 'rings' of leather.

Comment

My backpacking knife
                        2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

SWEET! A sharp edge with a modicum of control is all thats required. You def dialed it in tight for Back Packing.
                          Kudos!

Comment

Originally posted by cunningman View Post
                            There are custom knife makers in every State, any of them either make sheathes or know people who do.
                            ...you mean there are actually people who do not make their own sheaths??

Enjoy!
                            2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                            For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                            Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                            Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

@Happy,
                              I actually have done it but I bow to people who can make leather an art form. I know a retired insurance salesman in Wis who is one of them. I have had him do a couple for me. Typically, i too am old school & just roll up my sleeves & get busy....but in some matters Im ok w acknowledging my limitations.
                              Im happy to have found this site but gotta admit its killing me to sit here waiting for April.
                              Happy Holidays!!!!
                              Be Safe!

Comment

Working...
                              X