Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help choosing a Tent

Hi guys,
    I need to buy a tent. never bought a tent before.
    considering my budget and requirements, i'm basically down to these two choices

http://www.amazon.com/Hotouch-Waterp.../dp/B012N6JGNA

http://www.amazon.com/Stansport-Gran.../dp/B002R3K5XK

they both similar spec and price.

I just can't tell which one is better quality just buy looking at the pictures online.

if anyone has experience with either of these tents... or just first glance opinion... it would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help choosing a Tent

Somewhat of a cointoss, Hotouch sleeps one more person, but the lack of specs in the ad is worrisome. I'd go with the Hotouch and minimize leak issues by using a decent tarp underneath to slow water and minimize abrasion. Should live out a few seasons of camping as a low-cost option until you want to step up in features and integrity.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Hi Jay and Welcome to the Forum!

I would go with the Stansport. Not sure where TP came up with his measurements, but the Stansport is slightly larger than the Hotouch by almost 6" both lengthwise and widthwise and has 3" more peak height.

Don't pay hard attention to the # of people a tent advertises it can sleep - generally it's one to two (or more) people overstated. If you are sleeping on pads (20" by 72" - which are backpacker size-small), I still personally figure 18-20 sq ft per person. That is still somewhat cozy sleeping conditions (side by side)...but with a little room inside for gear (backpack, duffel, etc.). Depends on how much you like your tentmates. lol The Stansport has 49 sq ft - It's a good size 2 person tent in my mind.

More importantly, the Stansport has 2 doors (which is nice if there are 2P in the tent), whereas the Hotouch has 1.

TP is right on with putting a tarp under whatever tent you purchase. Make sure the tarp doesn't extend out past the tent walls. It will protect the floor from punctures, provide additional water seepage protection, and keep the actual tent floor cleaner.

Although these are not high quality tents, with proper, careful set-up, care and storage, you will get some camping experiences under your belt and can always upgrade sometime in the future if you continue to tent camp. If not, even one night for less than $50 isn't too bad a deal.
      Last edited by a65hoosier; 09-01-2015, 06:22 PM.
      2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
      Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
      Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
      Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thank you tplife and a65hoosier!

so its one-one vote! tough luck!

yes I'm not too concern about rated number of people. 6.5 or 7 feet square is more than enough space for me.

Actually Hotouch also has two doors. one directly opposite to other

I'm more concern about the fabric and material quality.
        Stansport seem better known brand. Even Target sells that tent.
        but from the picture its floor looks like made out of polyethylene. something like black trash bag!!

Hotouch fabric looks better on the photo, but its finishing looks terrible. and the pole doesn't have any steady support on the top

Originally posted by a65hoosier View Post
        If not, even one night for less than $50 isn't too bad a deal.
        Really? if that should be the expectation, then its useless to worry about what I'm worrying about! ha ha! just pick one i guess.
        I actully like the Hotouch's color better

Comment

Working...
        X