Kayak and Hammock Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kayak and Hammock Camping

I have been a car camper for decades, and love every second of it, but I now have a kayak and some friends invited me to go kayak camping. What an education!!! Nothing I used while car camping could be adapted to kayak camping. I had to purchase new everything except a sleeping bag. One of the things I purchased was a camping hammock. Different from a backyard hammock in that it has no stretcher bars and it has mosquito netting over it, making it like a cocoon. One uses a tarp over the top to keep rain off and keep a bit warmer in the cooler weather. After four days, I have a new love. While I will never give up car camping, kayak and hammock camping is a totally new experience and I love it as much. I could not have taken the ten because mine was too big, and I need a larger tent because I have a bad back. I thought the hammock would do me in, but it actually turned out to be a wondeful nights sleep. Anyone else go kayak or hammock camping???

Re: Kayak and Hammock Camping

My son love his Hammok - I'm not a believer yet....
    2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Irate Mormon - If you have an opportunity to spend a couple of hours in one. Not one with spreader bars but one made by a company like Hennessy Hammocks or Warbonnet, I think you might become a fan

Comment

My wife and I are interested in going kayak or canoe camping next year and I'm kind of surprised about how little information there is on the net in regards to doing it. I would love to know about the camping equipment people take with them in their kayaks, is a touring kayak necessary or can you get by with a smaller boat?

Comment

I prefer a hammock while car camping. I too would like to kayak and camp or hike and camp using a hammock. The one pictured here is a double and probably a bit big for that type of camping due to size and weight but I believe the general set-up is ideal.

I also plan to buy an inflatable kayak over the winter. Inflatable because I am always pressed for space and it packs down into a carrier that stores neatly. Probably more of a canoe though. I just wanted something that was affordable and gets me and my kids out on the water a bit when we go camping but that I could take down a semi-rough river trip if I wanted.

https://www.seaeagle.com/SportKayaks/SE370
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Force10JC; 09-04-2015, 06:28 AM.

Comment

Kayak and hammock camping is great. I use a small camp pad in my hammock to put another layer between me and the air that is under the hammock at night. As far as gear goes I take along the same things I would when I am hiking. If we want to bring a few bulky items, me and my buddies will divide them up so that no one is carrying all the weight in one boat. So far we have only done weekend trips but we are talking about doing a week long one soon.

Comment

The river of my youth is world-class for canoeing and kayaking, but the canoe allows for car-camping gear at day's end...Just watch out for the rangers at bridges as alcohol is prohibited in the Wharton State Forest, NJ!
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I bought an Eno just before my last trip and took it out to see how comfortable it is. Took a couple of naps in it and I can definitely see leaving the tent home during next year's warmer weather. My next trip will be heater weather, so the hammock will still be just for daytime snoozing.

Comment

A kayak is a great idea, an inflatable in rough waters is a disaster waiting to happen, any underwater protrusion and you will sink. The double hammock will easily fit into a hatch of a sit on top or sit inside. kayaks have an amazing amount of room especially if you use dry bags to pack your things in. I have two sit on top kayaks, both are stored in my living room behind my recliners, they can be hung from a garage or carport or patio if needed, there are many storage ideas on YouTube. I was able to pack two hammocks, with fly's, two cook sets, a soft sided cooler, sleeping bag, my clothing, and everything else I wanted without a problem and I have only single sit on tops. The other issue with inflatables is that unless you are willing to spend a great deal of money on the highest materials (like a Zodiac boat) the wind is going to be an issue with an inflatable or boat with high sides to it. If you live in a place which can get windy, this is something you will want to consider. Good Luck

Comment

No need for a touring kayak. I put four days worth of equipment on a single sit on top kayak. The biggest thing to do is to purchase everything as small as you can get to maximize space and efficiency. I carried 6 dry sacks, full of my clothing, sleeping bag, two hammocks, a complete cook set, food for 4 people for 4 days, a book, flashlights (headlamps work great - although I did bring a mini mag light as well), a cooler, an extra tarp, picnic tablecloth and the wheels for the kayak (I had a bit of extra room. These kayaks have a tremendous amount of room - purchase smaller dry bags (under 15L) in different colors, it is easier to find things. I also used blue tape and marked my bags with a loop of tape around the dry bag handle to make it even easier to find things. If you have any other questions, I will be happy to answer what I can. paddling.net also has great forums with very experienced kayak campers from all over the USA just reading some of those forums can garner a tremendous amount of information. Also go on YouTube, check out the videos people have posted on loading kayaks. Some people have huge touring boats, some have single sit insides, some have double sit insides and some, like me have sit on tops, Find a kayak you like with a couple of hatches, or use a deck bag if you have more things to take. The best thing is downsizing your gear. I got an MSR pocket rocket burner with fuel, it takes up less room than a liter of soda. including matches and lighter!! I got some good quality smaller backpacking sized cookware, The GSI Bugaboo set, and REI's backpacker cook set. I also took an old small Coleman burner I got off of Craigslist for $20, which turned out to be a great way to handle cooking multiple pots and pans at once. I got a small cooler from Wal-Mart which had a hard bucket in it, I put my picnic table cloth, knife, collapsable utensils (REI), small bamboo cutting board, metal plates (found on line) and bowls, I took the hard bucket out of the cooler and used it to carry and wash dishes. A small kitchen towel, some paracord (always useful). I recommend suffering through some YouTube kayak camping videos, people go through gear they use. Best to watch the ones of people Actually camping, not just showing off clean great still in bubble wrap. You would be amazed at how little you can be by with. Good Luck, let me know if I can help with anything else

Comment

Kayaks - Yeah, I could do a week - long float trip, either canoe or kayak. Serious BP'ers do PACK RAFTING. Not much point here in MS, but If you live in the state of 10,000 lakes, maybe...
                      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Hammocking introduces an entirely new set of equipment to be purchased and skills to be learned. I never knew what an underquilt was. Nor how to tie a trucker's hitch or evenk hitch knot. Everything you could ever want to know about hammocking can be learned here:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forum.php

or at one of Shug's many videos on YouTube. He knows his stuff and his videos are entertaining in the process!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0
                        Last edited by wiiawiwb; 09-04-2015, 04:47 AM.
                        Moss Big Dipper
                        Alaskan Guide 8
                        Alaskan Guide 6
                        NorthFace Tadpole 23
                        ALPS Exteme 3
                        Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

I know all about these things, I am a tent and hammock camper, but many backpackers and car campers don't know about hammock camping, I just thought if there was a thread on this forum, it could help people wanting to learn more without going to another forum

Comment

Keep us posted, of course it isn't for everyone, sometimes it takes the right gear or the correct hang - which can take some fiddling

Comment

We have many Pack Rafters in the west. Im not interested, I prefer the kayak...maybe someday

Comment

Working...
                              X