British military sleeping bag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British military sleeping bag

A few weeks ago I was out on Saturday doing my normal yard sale adventure and found this old or new mummy style down filled British military sleeping bag for 2.00, I didn't know how good it was so I bought it and took it home and washed it. Didn't know it was down filled until I washed and dried it, which I hope I didn't ruin it. The outside is a slick almost canvas type material by touch, inside is a softer material, never had a down filled sleeping bag and know absolutely diddly about them. Is this a good or decent bag, are they comfortable to sleep in?, figure for 2.00 it wasn't a waste of money and the sleeping bag is in very good shape, no rips or tears that I can see. So any advise on how to take care of it, store it or just get rid of it if it's junk would be appreciated, Thanks and God Bless.

Re: British military sleeping bag

Originally posted by Bingo View Post
    A few weeks ago I was out on Saturday doing my normal yard sale adventure and found this old or new mummy style down filled British military sleeping bag for 2.00, I didn't know how good it was so I bought it and took it home and washed it. Didn't know it was down filled until I washed and dried it, which I hope I didn't ruin it. The outside is a slick almost canvas type material by touch, inside is a softer material, never had a down filled sleeping bag and know absolutely diddly about them. Is this a good or decent bag, are they comfortable to sleep in?, figure for 2.00 it wasn't a waste of money and the sleeping bag is in very good shape, no rips or tears that I can see. So any advise on how to take care of it, store it or just get rid of it if it's junk would be appreciated, Thanks and God Bless.
    Not familar with British military sleeping bags or if they use down or synthetic insulation. Also have no idea how comfortable it is to sleep in (really that is a personal thing...everyone sleeps different). If it is down, it may very well be a good deal. Heck...for $2 it can become a backup blanket for the car trunk or a picnic blanket.

I do know that washing a down bag in a top loader with an agitator isn't real good for the stitching/baffles and one should really hand wash (or front load on gentle) and use a soap made specifically for down articles to protect the down. Drying in the dryer isn't the best thing. Dry cleaning is also not recommended due to the chemicals used in the process. Some folks use tennis balls by themselves or inside socks in the dryer (set to low or air only) to gently re-loft the down and prevent clumping. Many others leave it outside to dry in the air and will slowly massage and break the clumps down by hand. Cleaning a down bag properly is a methodical process.

Ruined? Maybe not...and for $2, even if it's trashed, it's not a big loss. Go online and search for Care for Down Sleeping Bag. There is quite a bit of helpful articles and how to's written about how to care and clean down articles.

The best advice...if it's down and you can get it back into working shape...is to keep it dry and clean (use a bag liner and/or wear clean clothes when you sleep in it) as long as possible to delay the inevitable/eventual cleaning.
    2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
    Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
    Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
    Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Is it junk? I dunno - I think a field test is in order :-)
      2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Ya, but that's going to have to wait until next year while camping. We'll in a few weeks our men at Church are going to go camping so I'll try it out then.

Comment

Bingo, do you live in our northern climes? Cuz down here, you don't even need a threadbare sheet this time of year.

Comment

No I live in Wichita Falls Tx. it's been around 100 degrees still and probably will for a few more weeks. I'm originally from Vandalia / Salem Illinois but the Air Force stuck me here in the 80's and I married a Texan so you take it from there. We moved back here from Bloomsburg Pa almost 4 yrs ago and I hate it here, I'd go back up North in a jippy.

Comment

It's likely good quality, but dated technology. Biggest downside of mil-spec bags are the percentage of feathers added as the ones I've seen aren't 100% down inside - feathers don't seem to wash or hold up indefinitely like down. Also, down comes in a variety of qualities, baffling techniques vary, and even thread and nylon vary across the board. We've had no issues with machine-washing, gentle cycle, our Marmot Mountain sleeping bags over many, many years of use: just what you'd expect with a top-shelf bag, and two of our Osprey bags were made in Colorado. It might not bee very difficult to determine if damage is done due to baffle failure and clumping following drying. I'd follow typical down instructions found online as a65hoosier suggested.
              “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Ahhhhhhh down. Love that stuff!

tplife is correct in saying there are different qualities of down, loft, baffling and that feathers and down don't have the same insulation or comfort.

Some people are allergic to down and feathers; I feel sorry for them.

Be that as it may, I'm not familiar with Brit military gear so don't know what the fill is.

You could try an old test: pull a bit of fill out and burn it with a match. If it smells acrid, like singed chicken feathers it's either down, feather or a mixture. If it melts onto itself and looks like cotton candy then it's a man made material.
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by Bingo View Post
                  No I live in Wichita Falls Tx. it's been around 100 degrees still and probably will for a few more weeks. I'm originally from Vandalia / Salem Illinois but the Air Force stuck me here in the 80's and I married a Texan so you take it from there. We moved back here from Bloomsburg Pa almost 4 yrs ago and I hate it here, I'd go back up North in a jippy.
                  What I remember most about camping in Texas was unbearable heat, ticks, chiggers, poisonous snakes, and water as brown as coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                    What I remember most about camping in Texas was unbearable heat, ticks, chiggers, poisonous snakes, and water as brown as coffee.
                    Ha! I went camping in SOUTH Georgia this past July. It was hot, but I always pick a well-shaded campsite. Got to look at some Gopher Tortoises. Ticks, Chiggers, and VENOMOUS snakes - well, one gets used to such things. The brown water - I didn't know they had that in Texas. It's called "blackwater" - the color is caused by decaying vegetation. It's drinkable but tastes strongly of tannins (naturally). Actually, the water in most blackwater streams is of very high quality.

Comment

Junk...I'd give it the heave ho.
                      Moss Big Dipper
                      Alaskan Guide 8
                      Alaskan Guide 6
                      NorthFace Tadpole 23
                      ALPS Exteme 3
                      Six Moon Designs Lunar Two

Comment

Working...
                      X